Potential Ram Compatibility Issues with Asus Motherboard

hydrolyser
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

It should POST, just don't expect XMP to work, 6000MT/s is about the most you can hope for from a Ryzen 7000 series CPU

The setup:
Motherboard:
 Asus Tuf Gaming X670E-Plus Wifi
Memory: Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) DDR5 6400MHz

CPU: Amd Ryzen 9 7900X

The Problem: Via the support page for the motherboard the max speed of that same model of ram is 6000MHz. The ram I bought was 6400MHz, but other lower speed versions of the ram show up as supported. I'm about to start building the PC and don't have any other DDR5 memory.

Question: Will the ram still work, but underclock to a lower speed? Or will it outright not work at all?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It should POST, just don't expect XMP to work, 6000MT/s is about the most you can hope for from a Ryzen 7000 series CPU

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That would make sense. I can even see on the specs on AMD's website listing 5200MHz being the fastest supported.

Does Intel have support for faster speeds? Are they just ahead of CPU mfg's right now and support will come in later generations? Because Corsair makes up to 7200MHz memory right now.

6 minutes ago, hydrolyser said:

That would make sense. I can even see on the specs on AMD's website listing 5200MHz being the fastest supported.

To be fair, that spec is just for RMA purposes, so if it can't do above 5200MT/s you can't RMA the CPU. Intel does the same thing, 13th gen only officially supports 5600MT/s, though in reality they can run very high speeds. 

7 minutes ago, hydrolyser said:

Does Intel have support for faster speeds? Are they just ahead of CPU mfg's right now and support will come in later generations? Because Corsair makes up to 7200MHz memory right now.

Yeah, Intel's IMC is stronger than AMD's. I've gotten 8600MT/s to boot and run benchmarks on my 13700K, though speeds above 7000MT/s are temperamental to get working reliably. 

21 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It did post and the ram was set to 4800MHz by default.

1 minute ago, hydrolyser said:

It did post and the ram was set to 4800MHz by default.

That sounds about right. You'll want to set some voltages manually to get it to work at 6000MT/s, since 6400MT/s is faster than most CPUs will be able to run in 1:1 mode. 

You should be able to follow this guide in order to setup the memory kit setup at that speed. You can set the sub-timings if you want to, they help performance, in some cases a lot, but at the same time if you just follow for what voltages and the primary timings that would work too. 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:33 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

That sounds about right. You'll want to set some voltages manually to get it to work at 6000MT/s, since 6400MT/s is faster than most CPUs will be able to run in 1:1 mode. 

You should be able to follow this guide in order to setup the memory kit setup at that speed. You can set the sub-timings if you want to, they help performance, in some cases a lot, but at the same time if you just follow for what voltages and the primary timings that would work too. 

This was a great recommendation! Using the settings and timings (some specific to my memory) from that video my system had no problems running stabile at 6000MHz.