Memory Mixing with Soldered on RAM?

I just got a new Asus Vivobook laptop that comes by default with 8gb of soldered on memory and 4gb in a single replaceable slot, but supports up to 16gb total.

I know memory mixing is a big no-no when it comes to regular slots, but will I run into any issues if I buy a regular 8gb stick at the same frequency off Amazon and swap it in?

I've done it before. My old laptop had 8GB soldered and a slot, with support for up to 32GB total. I just ran to Micro Center, grabbed an 8GB Crucial Ballistix off the shelf, and plopped it in. Worked fine.

Memory mixing isn't as huge a deal as people make it out to be.

Any modern motherboard will automatically adjust the speeds so that all the RAM works properly anyway, usually by defaulting to the slowest supported speed across all DIMMs(this holds true for desktops as well).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Since the Core 2 Duo era, laptops haven't been all that picky with soldered on memory. I've never encountered an issue mixing capacity, speed, timings, etc with slot/soldered. Nearly any RAM that fits will work. 

RAM should work but XMP may not. You may still get it to run at rated speed but use the timings from the worst stick unless it lets you OC to the best stick timings. Not being sure if your laptop let you change memory settings but never the less.