Higher Watt to have higher zero fan/silent mode

mnm0710

Hey all,

Silly question, so I just bought a 4090 TUF OC and going with a 13900k for a new build.

Is it stupid to know that 1200 or 1350 might be overkill but consider that a higher wattage psu can have a larger base output where the PSU fans stay off?

ie I’m considering Thermaltake GF3. It says that the fan starts at 40% load. So I was thinking of getting 1200.

any thoughts?

Well, my thought is that I can hear my case fans.

I can hear my AIO cooler fans (I don't let my CPU get very warm)

If I set my GPU fans above 80% (to keep my NVME SSD beside it from overheating), I can hear my GPU fans.

However, no mater how low the load on my case, gpu, or cpu.....I never have heard a PSU fan.

So, I buy a Titanium PSU, and don't use the eco mode (fan always runs)

Just my opinion....I never have understood the obsession with PSU fans.  The quietest 100% water cooler loop hitting ever item will still make more noise than a quality PSU fan.

Yeah, avoid running at 90% load on a PSU....but 40%....bit of overkill in my opinion.

But perhaps your water cooling is far more advanced than I anticipate.

For value for money, you can't beat Spearflower.

1600 watt titanium w fan-less mode for $300

A steal . 

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-titanium-sf-1600f14ht-1600w/p/1HU-024C-00014?Item=9SIAMNPB0A4085

PS,

People in general point out that Titanium rating is not a quality rating, and that return on investment for going from Gold to PLAT and to Titanium is never justified.

They are correct about the power savings for the average gamer.

However running the numbers with a high load gaming computer...like yours I find the following.

Say you are pulling 600 watts gaming.

600/.9=666

600/.94=638

28 watts is not a great cost difference when you are burning 600 watts per hour gaming.

However that 28 watts difference is totally the heat generated inside the PSU due to the difference in efficiency.

Hence, all things being equal (quality fans, normal fan curves) the Titanium unit will be more silent.

The efficiency is more important than the total capacity rating of the unit