how to switch from integrated graphics to dedicated graphics card

hi guys. i recently tried to install a friend's graphics card on my pc that has been running on intgrated graphics for the past 2 years and its not working. the gpu is heating up but it doesnt display anything until i plug my display cable into the motherboard which is weird, and im currently planning to buy my own gpu but dont know how to fix this problem if i run into it again. so is there anything specific that i need to do, something to change in the bios? or the system? (windows 10)

Yes there should be some option in BIOS for "primary" display

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

check your bios settings, you may have a setting that needs to be enabled for it to work. an old z170 i was working on last week needed this done for the gpu to work. what board do you have?

20 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

check your bios settings, you may have a setting that needs to be enabled for it to work. an old z170 i was working on last week needed this done for the gpu to work. what board do you have?

asus PRIME B450M-K

21 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

You may have to enter BIOS and disable onboard GPU or set it to display graphics to PCIe.

22 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yes there should be some option in BIOS for "primary" display

I will try that for sure,  thank you guys!!