rtx 4080 lowering power limit

Go to solution Solved by DreamCat04,
13 minutes ago, MartinShaju said:

Hi, Despite the high price, I have decided to upgrade to 4080 founders edition (from gtx 970), will be running it on ultrawide 1440p, a bit of an overkill but honestly can't reason a better option for the long run. coming to the topic, this card is efficient but still I want to lower power limit to 80 to 90% and not lower, (just using power limit slider with afterburner and not messing with voltage) So far I have seen it wouldn't harm anything but If you guys know any reason not to do it, that will be appreciated, concerned about power as I'm in Europe with a power crisis and even if there is small reason not to limit i'll just leave it as it is and move on. Thanks for reading.

Der8auer has made a video where he tested the cards efficiency (FPS per watt) at different power levels. He achieved the maximum efficiency with around 75%-80% power limit and even though he reduced his power by 20%, he only lost like 5-8% performance. So if you want to save power, reduce your power target/limit to 80%, that's where these cards are the most efficient (as in FPS per watt)

Hi, Despite the high price, I have decided to upgrade to 4080 founders edition (from gtx 970), will be running it on ultrawide 1440p, a bit of an overkill but honestly can't reason a better option for the long run. coming to the topic, this card is efficient but still I want to lower power limit to 80 to 90% and not lower, (just using power limit slider with afterburner and not messing with voltage) So far I have seen it wouldn't harm anything but If you guys know any reason not to do it, that will be appreciated, concerned about power as I'm in Europe with a power crisis and even if there is small reason not to limit i'll just leave it as it is and move on. Thanks for reading. 

Before anything, can you edit your post so there's not a page and a half of just enters please? It makes it really rather annoying to read and type stuff. 

1 minute ago, MartinShaju said:

So far I have seen it wouldn't harm anything but If you guys know any reason not to do it, that will be appreciated, concerned about power as I'm in Europe with a power crisis and even if there is small reason not to limit i'll just leave it as it is and move on

No, there's no risks associated with doing so. There are reasons not to do it, but most of them just follow the reasoning of "I paid for the whole performance of the card, I'm gonna use the whole performance of the card," and you might be better off just dropping down to something like a 4070 Ti instead if power draw is that big a concern for you as they will draw less power out of the box, perform about as if you lowered the power limit manually (a bit worse, but not too much), and will save you quite a bit of money. Still, if you just want a 4080 and want it to consume less power, that will definitely do that. 

13 minutes ago, MartinShaju said:

Der8auer has made a video where he tested the cards efficiency (FPS per watt) at different power levels. He achieved the maximum efficiency with around 75%-80% power limit and even though he reduced his power by 20%, he only lost like 5-8% performance. So if you want to save power, reduce your power target/limit to 80%, that's where these cards are the most efficient (as in FPS per watt)

4 hours ago, MartinShaju said:

You’ll lose performance, but not by a lot. I was using a 4090 at 70% power cap before the whole debacle on the melting connector was solved, and my FPS was still sky high at 3440x1440 and 4k