G14 2022 (G402) vs M16 2022 as travel powerhouse

I can't decide which one will be best. I won't be gaming but I might do some gaming. I like the extra screen real estate of the M16. But I like the lighter weight of the G14.
Or should I wait for the 2023 G14 model to come out?

Price doesn't matter because both are already exorbitantly overpriced. If I'm going to spend at least $2000 to $2500, then I want the best laptop for my usage.

I am traveling for an extended period, so the performance is going to be a lot better than my X1 Carbon because I can't use a desktop while traveling.

Usage is content creation, etc.

I love the 2.5lbs of the X1 carbon, I tried to buy a Gen 10 but after spending $7500 in credit card authorizations that all failed (problem with Lenovo's new payment gateway, it charged but then refunded a couple days later every time, I tried for 2 weeks), I gave up. And I could use something with more power and keep my older X1 carbon as a backup.

Usage:

Some content creation
Some Server Admin work
Some development work
Learning / Graduate School (next year)

47 minutes ago, asdasdfasdf said:

I can't decide which one will be best. I won't be gaming but I might do some gaming. I like the extra screen real estate of the M16. But I like the lighter weight of the G14.
Or should I wait for the 2023 G14 model to come out?

Price doesn't matter because both are already exorbitantly overpriced. If I'm going to spend at least $2000 to $2500, then I want the best laptop for my usage.

I am traveling for an extended period, so the performance is going to be a lot better than my X1 Carbon because I can't use a desktop while traveling.

Usage is content creation, etc.

I love the 2.5lbs of the X1 carbon, I tried to buy a Gen 10 but after spending $7500 in credit card authorizations that all failed (problem with Lenovo's new payment gateway, it charged but then refunded a couple days later every time, I tried for 2 weeks), I gave up. And I could use something with more power and keep my older X1 carbon as a backup.

Usage:

Some content creation
Some Server Admin work
Some development work
Learning / Graduate School (next year)

So you sound like a graduate student.  All you really really need to game these days is a thin client, so focusing on the non-thin client stuff might be the option here.  As for this Lenovo though it sounds like you’re being caught by some kind of glitch.  Maybe go old school analog and pick up a phone.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So you sound like a graduate student.  All you really really need to game these days is a thin client, so focusing on the non-thin client stuff might be the option here.  As for this Lenovo though it sounds like you’re being caught by some kind of glitch.  Maybe go old school analog and pick up a phone.

I'm a business owner, systems admin, developer, content creator, writer, and soon to be graduate student in another country. I need a lot of power, and I don't game although I might do a little.

I called and spent many hours on the phone with Lenovo for nothing, it kept being canceled the next day after they insisted that the order would not be canceled this time. I tried at least 7 or 8 times. Eventually, I gave up. I tried other cards too, and also tried Paypal, which was instantly canceled.

Manager at Lenovo told me they had been dealing with the order problem all day every day since the switch. They never should have switched. They lost my money and lost me as a customer because I'm trying competitors now.

1 minute ago, asdasdfasdf said:

I'm a business owner, systems admin, developer, content creator, and soon to be graduate student in another country.

If it’s an industrialized country the only thing that matters is the flight.  If it’s not there is still starlink.  How much are you going to have to carry this around?  Seems to be a question of how available an external monitor will be when you get there.  If you’re carrying it around a lot of keeping it on a desk with an external monitor, the little one.  If you’re going to have to use only that monitor, the big one

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Both are great machines. I prefer macOS + Magnet (app for windows-like snapping but a bit better) for work, so I'd say the MBP16. Neither is really gonna do you wrong though, and if you do plan to get in some occasional gaming, the G14 is a flat win due to running Windows. You could also split the difference and get the MBP14, runs the same hardware as the 16 just a smaller/lighter computer. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, asdasdfasdf said:

I'm a business owner, systems admin, developer, content creator, writer, and soon to be graduate student in another country. I need a lot of power, and I don't game although I might do a little.

I called and spent many hours on the phone with Lenovo for nothing, it kept being canceled the next day after they insisted that the order would not be canceled this time. I tried at least 7 or 8 times. Eventually, I gave up. I tried other cards too, and also tried Paypal, which was instantly canceled.

Manager at Lenovo told me they had been dealing with the order problem all day every day since the switch. They never should have switched. They lost my money and lost me as a customer because I'm trying competitors now.

That is kind of wow. They’d lose fewer customers if they just turned off the ordering system till it was fixed.  Lying about it does no one any good, least of all them.   Some sort of software switch?  I’m not sure what “the” switch is. Sounds like ordering through that website is fried till they get that fixed though.  eBay maybe?  Newegg?  Go at it from a different angle.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If it’s an industrialized country the only thing that matters is the flight.  If it’s not there is still starlink.  How much are you going to have to carry this around?  Seems to be a question of how available an external monitor will be when you get there.  If you’re carrying it around a lot of keeping it on a desk with an external monitor, the little one.  If you’re going to have to use only that monitor, the big one

It's not a matter of internet speed. All computers get good internet speed. Of any year since the dotcom boom of the 2000s.

No I will not be using an external monitor. As I said I'll be traveling. I will not be buying any monitors. I will only use the laptop.

I often like using my laptop on my lap in bed, and will carry it around accasionally.

16 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Both are great machines. I prefer macOS + Magnet (app for windows-like snapping but a bit better) for work, so I'd say the MBP16. Neither is really gonna do you wrong though, and if you do plan to get in some occasional gaming, the G14 is a flat win due to running Windows. You could also split the difference and get the MBP14, runs the same hardware as the 16 just a smaller/lighter computer. 

I hate mac, so there's that

And terrible value for the same quality

This is my opinion, and I'm not trying to get into a mac vs windows debate. Just saying it's a hard pass on macs.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That is kind of wow. They’d lose fewer customers if they just turned off the ordering system till it was fixed.  Lying about it does no one any good, least of all them.   Some sort of software switch?  I’m not sure what “the” switch is. Sounds like ordering through that website is fried till they get that fixed though.  eBay maybe?  Newegg?  Go at it from a different angle.

No, because I got a 10% off with my credit card, and now that the deal is gone I am no longer interested in getting a Lenovo laptop. It was overpriced anyway, 50% more than last year for the same laptop of last year's during the same black friday. It was not a sale. It is a racket. I waited a whole year to get the deal and after being unable to order, I give up, I ONLY wanted lenovo for the click buttons above the mouse pad, which I consider essential, but now I will consider an alternative because I waited for a year only be be disappointed with continued cancelled orders no matter what I did, despite my best efforts, and this was also at an insane premium, it is an 800 value laptop for top of the line and they sell for $1500. Stupid and ridiculous. If I'm going to spend $1500 now I will decide to get a gaming laptop instead so I have more power as a second laptop with high power and dedicated graphics, instead of just a replacement for my old x1 carbon. I hate the overpriced values of existing latops. $3,000 for some of these laptops or even $4,000 is just stupid. How about I sell you a pair of shoes for $500,000? No thanks I will buy a $50 pair from the nearby store. Dumb pricing on electronics has caused me to exit the market.

1 hour ago, asdasdfasdf said:

No, because I got a 10% off with my credit card, and now that the deal is gone I am no longer interested in getting a Lenovo laptop. It was overpriced anyway, 50% more than last year for the same laptop of last year's during the same black friday. It was not a sale. It is a racket. I waited a whole year to get the deal and after being unable to order, I give up, I ONLY wanted lenovo for the click buttons above the mouse pad, which I consider essential, but now I will consider an alternative because I waited for a year only be be disappointed with continued cancelled orders no matter what I did, despite my best efforts, and this was also at an insane premium, it is an 800 value laptop for top of the line and they sell for $1500. Stupid and ridiculous. If I'm going to spend $1500 now I will decide to get a gaming laptop instead so I have more power as a second laptop with high power and dedicated graphics, instead of just a replacement for my old x1 carbon. I hate the overpriced values of existing latops. $3,000 for some of these laptops or even $4,000 is just stupid. How about I sell you a pair of shoes for $500,000? No thanks I will buy a $50 pair from the nearby store. Dumb pricing on electronics has caused me to exit the market.

Ah.  You’re not actually interested in help.  This is merely a rant and you’re hoping someone from Lenovo will read it.  You believed the black Friday myth.  All companies have a “sale” on Black Friday, but only sometimes is it actually worth anything.  Every year there is a flurry of “it will be real this time!”.  And every year the vast majority of retailers have fake sales for most products. Black Friday hasn’t been worth waiting for for many years.  It’s just an excuse to start “Holliday shopping” sales even earlier.  The “Holliday shopping season” is Black Friday to new years. 

2 hours ago, asdasdfasdf said:

It's not a matter of internet speed. All computers get good internet speed. Of any year since the dotcom boom of the 2000s.

No I will not be using an external monitor. As I said I'll be traveling. I will not be buying any monitors. I will only use the laptop.

I often like using my laptop on my lap in bed, and will carry it around accasionally.

The statement about internet speed is not what I meant it’s not about the computer’s capacity but the speed of the internet where you are.  There are people still using dialup in industrialized nations.  Just not in cities generally. With starlink though it becomes possible to get high speed and critically for this low latency internet more or less everywhere starlink reaches.  This makes thin client gaming more or less possible most places, so carrying the power with you is no longer crucial.  I/o quality matters more.  The big boy appears to have I/o advantages and it’s weakness in hardware is not the critical thing it once was.  Furthermore you won’t even be carrying it a lot of the time.  So my vote is for the big boy.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The statement about internet speed is not what I meant it’s not about the computer’s capacity but the speed of the internet where you are.  There are people still using dialup in industrialized nations.  Just not in cities generally. With starlink though it becomes possible to get high speed and critically for this low latency internet more or less everywhere starlink reaches.  This makes thin client gaming more or less possible most places, so carrying the power with you is no longer crucial.  I/o quality matters more.  The big boy appears to have I/o advantages and it’s weakness in hardware is not the critical thing it once was.  Furthermore you won’t even be carrying it a lot of the time.  So my vote is for the big boy.

Thank you, at least after your first reply above which you were wrong because I am looking for help (and yes I am allowed to vent a bit about my problems with Lenovo, doesn't change I am looking for help),

But with Starlink I will not be getting anything wireless, I prefer hard wired and turning off my wifi.

But thanks for your opinion as to choose the big one which is a bit more powerful than the G14 with a better and brighter screen.

I am not sold on it yet, but a local shop here ordered a G14 to be delivered from another store so I will be able to see it in person. I saw a G15 today though! It's quite thick, I was surprised. And it had a 16:9 aspect ratio, while I prefer the 16:10. Not sure what year it was but it was new in box. He opened it to show me. Looks nice but the G15 doesn't really feel like an ultrabook because it's so thick, so it feels more like a traditional laptop.

If I can get my hands on one I would like to see the M16 in person. But the battery life of the G14 might actually be a good selling point for it.

It's a tough choice. But both are around $2500 (G14) to $3000 (M16), so the price is astronomical, so I can't quite justify getting both, so that's why I'm torn.

If the G14 was 1200 I would get it. but for double that it's really stretching what I can feel justifies the laptop. So I want to make the right choice.

1 hour ago, asdasdfasdf said:

Thank you, at least after your first reply above which you were wrong because I am looking for help (and yes I am allowed to vent a bit about my problems with Lenovo, doesn't change I am looking for help),

But with Starlink I will not be getting anything wireless, I prefer hard wired and turning off my wifi.

But thanks for your opinion as to choose the big one which is a bit more powerful than the G14 with a better and brighter screen.

I am not sold on it yet, but a local shop here ordered a G14 to be delivered from another store so I will be able to see it in person. I saw a G15 today though! It's quite thick, I was surprised. And it had a 16:9 aspect ratio, while I prefer the 16:10. Not sure what year it was but it was new in box. He opened it to show me. Looks nice but the G15 doesn't really feel like an ultrabook because it's so thick, so it feels more like a traditional laptop.

If I can get my hands on one I would like to see the M16 in person. But the battery life of the G14 might actually be a good selling point for it.

It's a tough choice. But both are around $2500 (G14) to $3000 (M16), so the price is astronomical, so I can't quite justify getting both, so that's why I'm torn.

If the G14 was 1200 I would get it. but for double that it's really stretching what I can feel justifies the laptop.

I never meant to imply I thought you weren’t. Merely that I thought this was of two parts with the first one being figuring out a way to put the Lenovo on the board. 

I got the impression the big boy was less powerful rather than more powerful.  I suspect they have the same size battery (the max allowed on aircraft) so a more powerful machine will use battery faster.  Particularly that screen.  One thought if money is a not overwhelming but not insignificant concern is the big boy and a battery plate (so effectively even bigger). To give it additional stamina.  They go for what looks like around $80-110. You’ll want one small enough to legally take on a plane.  This assumes you’re allowed to “have no single device over..” rather than “devices totaling..”  this will be an already looked into thing.   The statement of only occasional carry makes a strong argument for the better I/o.  People used to successfully travel with luggables so it’s not like it can’t be done, it’s just less convenient.  If you were carrying the thing all the time it might be a big factor, but it seems you won’t be.  One is more convenient being carried, the other is more convenient being used.  I’m assuming you will be doing more using than carrying.  If this is not true then perhaps the reverse.  If you can find a power bank that charges faster than your machine uses power you can empty it into your laptop and recharge it while using the laptop on battery effectively creating an infinite battery.  It will probably be one of those 80% things where neither is ever fully charged all the way.

Edited by Bombastinator

17 hours ago, asdasdfasdf said:

I hate mac, so there's that

And terrible value for the same quality

This is my opinion, and I'm not trying to get into a mac vs windows debate. Just saying it's a hard pass on macs.

OH. I... terribly misread, I thought it was between a MacBook Pro 16" and the G14, completely forgot ASUS has an M series as well. 🤦‍♂️

Reading the post correctly, I'd still say the M16, IMO always go for screen real estate if you don't have to sacrifice spec and it fits in your budget.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I was making the same decision and chose the 2022 G14 for its better portability and battery life. In nearly every review that I watched or read, people mentioned that the M16 cannot cope with the high temperatures and the high power draw of the Intel CPU, leading to mediocre battery life and less performance than the specs would have you expect.

My G14 ultimately got refunded since I had issues with it, but when I had it (and when it worked), it was a fantastic little device. Portable enough to compete with my prior MacBook Pro 13" (albeit heavier) and more than powerful enough for all modern games. The one thing I'll say is: Wait for the 2023 model and hope for some internal updates. The 2022 and prior have a terrible MediaTek wifi card that causes issues for many users - you'll easily be able to find complaints online. In my unit that resulted in terrible wifi performance after standby and subpar performance in general (drops to 40Mbit/s when my other devices next to it were able to get 250Mbit/s).

19 hours ago, Zando_ said:

OH. I... terribly misread, I thought it was between a MacBook Pro 16" and the G14, completely forgot ASUS has an M series as well. 🤦‍♂️

Reading the post correctly, I'd still say the M16, IMO always go for screen real estate if you don't have to sacrifice spec and it fits in your budget.

Depends on how you define quality.  Do they use glued and soldered down stuff Waaaaaaaaaayyyyy. Too much?   Yes.  Do they make stuff that is designed to eventually break and require repair by them and them alone for whatever they feel like charging (spoiler: it’s a lot.  So much that it’s often cheaper to buy a new machine for something that would be repaired on anything else) Yes. Every single competitive review says they have THE best I/o though.  best keyboard best track pad, best monitor.  And now they even have the fastest CPUs.  And it’s frequently not even close.all at the same time on a single device.  They have wildly proprietary stuff that uses unsustainable parts any whose repair cost can be literally multiple times what the rest of the industry is for no particularly good reason.   Does that mean the quality is high or low?  Depends on the situation. 

If you consider storage dollar for dollar rather than readwrites/sec and size.  Apple storage is something like a fifth as efficient.  $200 for a 500mb drive?! REALLY?!  I can find one that’s faster for $40.  If your doing corporate work and are on an expense account, mac all the way.  If not, not so much.

Edited by Bombastinator