Programming Laptop / Chromebook ?

Tehkast

Evening All,

Sorry not sure if this question is best here or Laptop section but assume as this is the area I want to use the thing hoping you peeps may have some hands on insight.

I'm looking for a Laptop to use to learn / expand my coding I am only noob level Python right now but would like to turn it into something more.

Issue I find is dropping in and out of PC sitting at a desk and getting distracted so thought I would like to go back to a Laptop (Originally started on laptop but Old Latitude E5 something for 2010) is a bit sluggish and massive.

I'm looking for something hopefully that will just run VS Studio code that is my current go do and maybe if anyone knows of next level things may need to run like Tkinter etc or something that may soon be required for coding would ofc like to futureproof a wee bit.

I'm just wanting something that is portable and good battery doesn't need to play games etc so doesn't need to be a beast.

Budget is around £500 not to happy with idea of going second had just not sure I trust that market enough it worries me with so much money

Any suggestions would be most welcome thank you in advance.

12 minutes ago, Tehkast said:

Evening All,

Sorry not sure if this question is best here or Laptop section but assume as this is the area I want to use the thing hoping you peeps may have some hands on insight.

I'm looking for a Laptop to use to learn / expand my coding I am only noob level Python right now but would like to turn it into something more.

Issue I find is dropping in and out of PC sitting at a desk and getting distracted so thought I would like to go back to a Laptop (Originally started on laptop but Old Latitude E5 something for 2010) is a bit sluggish and massive.

I'm looking for something hopefully that will just run VS Studio code that is my current go do and maybe if anyone knows of next level things may need to run like Tkinter etc or something that may soon be required for coding would ofc like to futureproof a wee bit.

I'm just wanting something that is portable and good battery doesn't need to play games etc so doesn't need to be a beast.

Budget is around £500 not to happy with idea of going second had just not sure I trust that market enough it worries me with so much money

Any suggestions would be most welcome thank you in advance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234801870318?hash=item36ab4835ee:g:l9sAAOSw40ljyB2U&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8Py2NOSux%2BpxqvWZ4LfS9r47Y6d0uza2yCRwm%2BWmjxOHolIzz9Ie8mkPF%2FmkrbL%2BG1dGX%2BGSTmolI5anBYQ%2B70NpyN6kRvbZ3HoNU0IOiOO1OgP88c%2F3vt6qDTLdjy7qPJPOon0Hv6iM1jA%2BU%2FCdLg%2FsiEfbooDAPldouLRJgMmNS7na0DU8KPCDCLRKYKbaaavgC3xvF4lj1mH%2FAPb8CqL58KcWiFOUwVLmqZvnjOAWcMH%2FEAxryUk7DoluCpx3AY12vkDFNsdE5tb%2B5ovb7pe%2BWZUCKcrTgrBXfRRzDFQrY84la48%2FpM%2BnpT76OpBalQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMyJTpq7lh

A used macbook would provide excellent value, and I understand you don't like used, but this seller has a 3 year warranty, and 99.1% positive feedback with 40k items sold. It's safe to say that you would be getting what was advertised. If you are still concerned with this, this HP is on a "flash sale" for $260 (US) off, and has a ryzen 7 + 16gb of RAM. It would be significantly faster, but you would have to buy it within the next 2 hours, which isn't a lot of time to think it over, something you should do for large purchases like this.

42 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234801870318?hash=item36ab4835ee:g:l9sAAOSw40ljyB2U&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8Py2NOSux%2BpxqvWZ4LfS9r47Y6d0uza2yCRwm%2BWmjxOHolIzz9Ie8mkPF%2FmkrbL%2BG1dGX%2BGSTmolI5anBYQ%2B70NpyN6kRvbZ3HoNU0IOiOO1OgP88c%2F3vt6qDTLdjy7qPJPOon0Hv6iM1jA%2BU%2FCdLg%2FsiEfbooDAPldouLRJgMmNS7na0DU8KPCDCLRKYKbaaavgC3xvF4lj1mH%2FAPb8CqL58KcWiFOUwVLmqZvnjOAWcMH%2FEAxryUk7DoluCpx3AY12vkDFNsdE5tb%2B5ovb7pe%2BWZUCKcrTgrBXfRRzDFQrY84la48%2FpM%2BnpT76OpBalQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMyJTpq7lh

A used macbook would provide excellent value, and I understand you don't like used, but this seller has a 3 year warranty, and 99.1% positive feedback with 40k items sold. It's safe to say that you would be getting what was advertised. If you are still concerned with this, this HP is on a "flash sale" for $260 (US) off, and has a ryzen 7 + 16gb of RAM. It would be significantly faster, but you would have to buy it within the next 2 hours, which isn't a lot of time to think it over, something you should do for large purchases like this.

That HP looks wonderful but both options seem to be Issue as over in UK but thank you very much for reply looking into HP see if that is viable to get but the time factor 😞

Look for used laptops on eBay with an Intel processor that's number ends with "h" or "hq". 

That means it's a desktop grade processor. 

The ones ending in "U" are power efficient but often really bad performance. Some of the new "U" stuff is okay if you get i5 or i7. 

In the US, I got a good gaming laptop for $200 used in good condition. 

In the UK, I'm sure you can find something under budget that's great performance. 

Something possibly ?

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=4H2X5EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB#detailedSpecs

What I do see that seems odd it cost more with less ram ?

£370 doesn't seem that bad for 

SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

Operating system

Windows 11 Home[38]

PROCESSOR

Processor family

AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor

Processor

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500U (up to 4.0 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 6 cores, 12 threads)[6,7]

Chipset

AMD Integrated SoC

MEMORY

Memory

8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (1 x 8 GB)

Memory Note

Transfer rates up to 3200 MT/s.

Memory layout (slots & size)

1 x 8 GB

DRIVES

Internal Storage

256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Cloud service

25 GB Dropbox storage for 12 months[1]

GRAPHIC SUBSYSTEM

Graphics (integrated)

AMD Radeon™ Graphics

CONNECTIVITY AND COMMUNICATIONS

Ports

1 USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate
2 USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate
1 AC smart pin
1 HDMI 1.4b
1 headphone/microphone combo

Wireless

Realtek RTL8821CE-M 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 wireless card[14]

Expansion slots

1 multi-format SD media card reader

Wireless Note

MU-MIMO supported
 Modern Standby (Connected)
 Miracast® compatible

MULTIMEDIA AND INPUT DEVICES

Audio

Dual speakers

Keyboard

Full-size, natural silver keyboard

Pointing device

HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
Precision Touchpad support

WEIGHTS

Weight

2.07 kg

Package weight

1.71 kg

APPEARANCE

Product color

Natural silver

Product design

Paint finish cover and base, vertical brushed In-mould roll keyboard frame

DIMENSIONS

Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)

32.4 x 22.5 x 1.79 cm

Package dimensions (W x D x H)

6.9 x 48.3 x 30.5 cm

BATTERY AND POWER

Battery life

Up to 9 hours and 45 minutes[3]

Battery recharge time

Supports battery fast charge: approximately 50% in 45 minutes[5]

Battery type

3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion

Power supply type

45 W Smart AC power adapter

Battery weight

210 g

Battery type footnote number

[23]

SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS

Software included

McAfee LiveSafe™

Pre-installed software

Alexa
ExpressVPN (30 day free trial)
LastPass Premium (30 day free trial)[22]

HP apps

HP Audio Switch
HP Connection Optimizer
HP QuickDrop

Software - Productivity & finance

1 month trial for new Microsoft 365 customers[24]

SECURITY MANAGEMENT

Security management

Trusted Platform Module (Firmware TPM) support

WARRANTY

Manufacturer Warranty

1 year (1/1/0) limited warranty includes 1 year of parts and labor. No on-site repair. Terms and conditions vary by country. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.

CAMERA SPECIFICATIONS

Camera

HP True Vision 720p HD camera with integrated dual array digital microphones

DISPLAY SPECIFICATIONS

Touchscreen

No

Display

35.6 cm (14") diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080), micro-edge, anti-glare, 250 nits, 45% NTSC

Screen-to-body ratio (without speakers)

79.08%[18]

Unless ofc missing something obvious.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:29 PM, Tehkast said:

£370 doesn't seem that bad for 

Within your limit there should be Ryzen 7 laptops (4700U/4800U/5700U and maybe even 5800U/5825U). That combined with 16GB of RAM would be really solid for more than just learning to code. What you should look at before buying is the laptop screen and noise levels - look for reviews of given model to see if it has some impactful weakness.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:48 PM, Tehkast said:

need to run like Tkinter etc or something

Not sure what's your goal are but with tkinter you rather won't get any good apps and simple desktop apps are rather something that should be a web app. For hobby/fun use it likely will be fine, but like commercially not really.