Thinking on getting an Inno3d 4070 ti x3, is my system compatible? Will I run into any issue or significant bottleneck?

Go to solution Solved by Queen Chrysalis,
39 minutes ago, Sigfried said:

hehe, I sure will.

So to wrap it up my system would be fine housing that inno3d somehow-2-slot monster?

Yep.  Might wanna hold off on OCing anything on the RM650, but it'll be enough.  The RMs are really well built and should have no issue covering the tdp of your system, but it may be worth seeing how many watts exactly you are using on long renders before you decide to boost anything.  But at base clocks, you should get great performance and be well within the PSU's normal operating capabilities.  I'd have more faith in an RM650 than a c-tier 850.

Just as the title says, is my system ready for this upgrade?

Ryzen 5 3600xt

MSI b450 Tomahawk max 

Corsair RM 650x 

1080p 60hz 

Yes I do more than gaming, these are the options I am evaluating:

(all new)

(630€) Evga 3070 ftw ultra gaming LHR

(720€) Strix 3070 TI O8G

(855€) MSI 3080 Ventus 3X Plus 10G OC LHR

(874€) Inno3D 4070 ti x3 NVIDIA 12 GB

Yes, CPU too weak, PSU is considered barely enough for a 4070Ti which may or may not be a problem.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Your PSU should handle it in terms of power but it’s the minimum I’d recommend.

As for bottlenecks, this system would be somewhat in-balanced (not really an issue, just means you’ll need to upgrade CPU at a later date to unlock full performance of the GPU).

Out of interest, when your gaming what utilisation % is your current CPU and GPU at?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

36 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Out of interest, when your gaming what utilisation % is your current CPU and GPU at?

Let's see, running the RDR2 benchmark (1080p, 6/10 graphic sliders, not recording)

AVG 49fps

CPU 55%

GPU 100% (5600xt)

My plan would be to record a playtrough of the Dead Space remake but unless they pulled a miracle of optimization, I doubt I will be able to do so at more than low-mid graphics.

I'd be more than happy to be called an idiot and being told I'm so freaking wrong

Honestly, I was actually considering more GPUs, these are the options and no, I do not have better prices here:

(all new)

(630€) Evga 3070 ftw ultra gaming LHR

(720€) Strix 3070 TI O8G

(855€) MSI 3080 Ventus 3X Plus 10G OC LHR

(874€) Inno3D 4070 ti x3 NVIDIA 12 GB

(I haven't considered AMD because of the lacking performance outside of games, But I'd be JOYOUS to ditch Nvidia once more, If you got supporting data)

I don't really know what I should be going for, each would be an upgrade, but I don't want to over do it.

It's also pretty annoying not having a 4070 TI to compare...

What are your opinions?

I could try benchmarking other games tomorrow, I've got cyberpunk, doom eternal and farcry 6 installed, If that can be of useful reference.

Do you do anything with your GPU other than gaming? If not, what does AMD lacking in productivity matter to you?

And CPU utilization does not tell the whole story, I'm 100% sure that 3600XT would bottleneck 4070 Ti, even in 4K maybe only some games would not be bottlenecked.

I have an i5-12400 with 6800 XT, if CPU intensive games could bottleneck my 6800 XT in 1440p Ultra, 3600XT would certainly bottleneck on everything else.

I assume you play in 1080p, 5600XT is a 1080p GPU, 4070 ti will be bottlenecked like hell, same as how 3080 is even now.

Unless you plan to upgrade your CPU to 5800X3D (if you play in 1080p) or at least 5700X (if you play in 1440p/4K), that 4070 Ti would be wasted.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

What resolution and refresh rate are you playing at, and what games do you play.  Impossible to know without knowing this, as the 50-game average does not apply to everyone.  You can OC the 3600x to liike 4.7 if you know what you're doing, and at that point a lot of stuff will work fine at 2560x1440, even more appropriate for 3440x1440.  At 4k this is a good pairing, depending on what games you are playing.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Your choice of graphics card is fine, don't worry about it. I was also in the market for a new one last week, and despite of all the tech channels suggestion of not going for it, the reality was that outside of used GPUs with no warranty, the cheaper 4070ti was the only least bad option comparitively where I live, every other model had more negative points going for it.

As for the processor, you'll be fine. You will be bottlenecked of course, but that doesn't mean much since you're on a budget. Going for a weaker GPU just becuase you can't change your CPU is a bad choice becuase you will get less performance and wont get much in return after upgrading your CPU in the future.

This is all with the consideration that you plan to also change your CPU soon when you can afford it of course. Any of the modern CPUs will be fine, right now I would go with the 13600k but you could also pick anything weaker and still get a lot in return. Change your PSU too when you have the chance.

2 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

used GPUs with no warranty,

GPU warranties are short, and none of these cards are very old.  Most GPU deaths happen outside the warranty period anyway, but frankly, if you buy one used an it works when it arrives, it's not gonna have issues.  If there is something wrong with it, it will be immediately apparent.  

1 hour ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

GPU warranties are short, and none of these cards are very old.  Most GPU deaths happen outside the warranty period anyway, but frankly, if you buy one used an it works when it arrives, it's not gonna have issues.  If there is something wrong with it, it will be immediately apparent.  

What you aren't considering is the peace of mind you get from just having a warranty and the resell value. Where I live, having tried to sell and buy a couple of GPUs past couple of years, it's much much easier to sell a used GPU with a box and warranty at a good price than it is selling a card otherwise. I used to think like that too until I bought a used mining 3090. And eventhough I had tested it extensively, just the thought of it dying on me for any reason (even if the chance is 1%) at any point and having to spend from 0 for a new GPU was enough to convince me to sell it and get one with warranty. Maybe if I had bought a cheaper card I would have not thought that way but the cost of an even used 3090 is high enough to make me not want to lose it. I will be able to sell the new card a lot easier and for much better price 1 or two years down the road if I want to.

So I think that buying a used 2080 or 3060 is fine without warranty. But anything more expensive makes me feel a little worried about both the resell value and the assurance of not lossing it all together for nothing. Also a 3 years warranty is not short in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Do you do anything with your GPU other than gaming? If not, what does AMD's lacking productivity matter to you?

Yes, I do, mostly video recording and editing but also 3d stuff. that's why I am not even considering AMD this time around.

The 5600xt It's been great in games so far, except for some titles. But that's U.

If you have contrasting data, please share it, I'd be more than happy to ditch Nvidia again, but the last time I did, it bit me back.

11 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

What resolution and refresh rate are you playing at, and what games do you play?

1080p 60hz

but I also do recording at times

To answer your second question, Here are my reasons to upgrade:

1 • I finally have some money to upgrade the PC and I figured (also in part thanks to this forum's amazingly helpful nerds) the GPU is the best next part to update.

2 • I would like to record a playthrough of the Dead Space remake and from what I've seen of The Callisto Protocol and unless they pull a miracle of optimization I doubt I will be able to do that with my current system at more than low-mid settings.

3 • Not just games.

The 5600xt I'm currently running has been really good in games except for some poorly optimized exceptions, but that's it.

It doesn't perform as greatly in recording, editing, encoding, 3d rendering etc, which are the other uses of my computer.

34 minutes ago, Sigfried said:

1080p 60hz

but I also do recording at times

To answer your second question, Here are my reasons to upgrade:

1 • I finally have some money to upgrade the PC and I figured (also in part thanks to this forum's amazingly helpful nerds) the GPU is the best next part to update.

2 • I would like to record a playthrough of the Dead Space remake and from what I've seen of The Callisto Protocol and unless they pull a miracle of optimization I doubt I will be able to do that with my current system at more than low-mid settings.

3 • Not just games.

The 5600xt I'm currently running has been really good in games except for some poorly optimized exceptions, but that's it.

It doesn't perform as greatly in recording, editing, encoding, 3d rendering etc, which are the other uses of my computer.

Aright, so yeah the 4070ti would be really good for all that stuff.  For video editing, 12GB is the sweet sport for 4k for rendinging whole frames at once on the VRAM.  Sure 16GB is better but to get that you'd be sacrificing CUDA and Tensor cores by stepping down to a 6800xt, and for your 3D stuff those cores matter way more.  

Your CPU is def fine.  Is it a 5600x or 3600x?  Either waqy, it's ok.  If you have the buidget for it, the biggest treat you could really get yourself would be a new monitor.  I know the GPU is way more important for getting your rendering done, but for gaming, a higher resolution, higher refresh rate monitor is what would actually make the games look better.  At 1080p60, you won;t even noting the GPU upgrade in games, just in work.

If it were me, I'd go for a 3440x1440 160+Hz for video work so you have a nice long timeline and your preview window is natively 1920x1080.  They are also super immersive for gaming.  

Monoprice Dark Matter 34.0" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor (42772) - PCPartPicker

LG 34WP60C-B 34.0" 3440 x 1440 160 Hz Curved Monitor (34WP60C-B) - PCPartPicker

If you really don;t want an ultra wide, a 4k monitor like this may also be beneficial for proof-watching a project when you're done, but you won't get the high rr in gaming:

LG 32UN500-W 31.5" 3840 x 2160 60 Hz Monitor (32UN500-W) - PCPartPicker

1 hour ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Is it a 5600x or 3600x?

If you have the buidget for it, the biggest treat you could really get yourself would be a new monitor.

3600xt.

I know a new monitor would be great, however, you did use the correct word for it, "treat".

It sounds weird coming from someone who's about to throw away 870 euros on a 4070 ti, but replacing my Sharp LC-32LE510E is not my first priority right now.

As hilarious as a 4070ti linked to a 12 years old 10.5kg 32" 1080p LCD TV might sound.

Plus the thing is RUGGED, where else am I gonna clamp the lamp?

20230116_165650.thumb.jpg.b19bc0c18a6171f5ef1c151e0d58f111.jpg20230116_165722.thumb.jpg.de7b7f59e4beb695db722edc1d3fb426.jpg

1 hour ago, Sigfried said:

3600xt.

I know a new monitor would be great, however, you did use the correct word for it, "treat".

It sounds weird coming from someone who's about to throw away 870 euros on a 4070 ti, but replacing my Sharp LC-32LE510E is not my first priority right now.

As hilarious as a 4070ti linked to a 12 years old 10.5kg 32" 1080p LCD TV might sound.

Plus the thing is RUGGED, where else am I gonna clamp the lamp?

20230116_165650.thumb.jpg.b19bc0c18a6171f5ef1c151e0d58f111.jpg20230116_165722.thumb.jpg.de7b7f59e4beb695db722edc1d3fb426.jpg

In that case, eventually I'd get a 32in 4k monitor.  You could keep the rugged one for your lamp and multitasking.  

4 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

In that case, eventually I'd get a 32in 4k monitor.  You could keep the rugged one for your lamp and multitasking.  

hehe, I sure will.

So to wrap it up my system would be fine housing that inno3d somehow-2-slot monster?

39 minutes ago, Sigfried said:

hehe, I sure will.

Yep.  Might wanna hold off on OCing anything on the RM650, but it'll be enough.  The RMs are really well built and should have no issue covering the tdp of your system, but it may be worth seeing how many watts exactly you are using on long renders before you decide to boost anything.  But at base clocks, you should get great performance and be well within the PSU's normal operating capabilities.  I'd have more faith in an RM650 than a c-tier 850.