AM5 and RTX4090 compatibility issue

New build PC with the following specifications:
Motherboard:  ASRock X670E Pro RS

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7700x

GPU: Galax RTX 4090

PSU: Corsair RM1000x (1000w)

NVIDIA Driver: 528.02 (also tried 522.25)

The GPU functions normally on basic driver support, and can boot into Windows, until drivers are installed.  At this time, it disappears from Device Manager (though remains visible in DDU) and does not successfully boot.

1203635095_DeviceManagerOutput.png.991b66322e25553782e71546eb8369e0.png

1185770845_DDUoutput.png.fa9de5f48b7006fde8d51eed3812c7b2.png

It hangs after about 4 seconds after posting.

I've heard that AM5 motherboards have compatibility issues with RTX4090; so I have flashed my BIOS from the shipped BIOS (1.03) to the latest release (1.11) and later tried 1.11AS01 (beta).  None resolved the issue.

Similarly, I updated the firmware of the RTX4090 using the utility provided by NVIDIA; with successful update but no difference in behaviour.

I have tested the GPU in another system; and it works normally with the most recent drivers.  I have also tested the board with an RTX2070 which worked normally with the most recent drivers.  The issue only occurs when pairing the X670E/7700X with the RTX4090.

I've tried numerous clean installs using DDU but cannot get it to function with drivers.  Does anyone have any suggestions? or is it time to RMA my new motherboard and get one that is confirmed to support the 40xx series GPUs?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

sounds like an RMA board if other GPUS work in it just fine. 

You seem to have missed THAT GPU worked in a different system also.

53 minutes ago, St-V1 said:

I've heard that AM5 motherboards have compatibility issues with RTX4090; so I have flashed my BIOS from the shipped BIOS (1.03) to the latest release (1.11) and later tried 1.11AS01 (beta).  None resolved the issue.

Can you disable the iGPU in the BIOS perhaps or at least make sure the dGPU is set as primary display device in there?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You seem to have missed THAT GPU worked in a different system also.

Board = Mobo, GPU probably is not the issue. Sounds like the mobo has something wrong with it, if they have checked that the GPU is working fine as mentioned, more then likely something is wonky with the Asrock board. 

Seems that unless this user also posted this on reddit with 10 home, someone with this exact board also has this issue.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Board = Mobo, GPU probably is not the issue. Sounds like the mobo has something wrong with it, if they have checked that the GPU is working fine as mentioned, more then likely something is wonky with the Asrock board. 

Could be, especially if the other GPUs that work are say PCIe 3, it might just be failing to work at PCIe 4?  That could perhaps be another test, not sure if you can change the PCIe version in the BIOS.  It would at least confirm the problem even if its not a fix.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

43 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Seems that unless this user also posted this on reddit with 10 home, someone with this exact board also has this issue.

How can the board be at fault when OP mentions that when they put a 2070 in the system it worked fine?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

24 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

How can the board be at fault when OP mentions that when they put a 2070 in the system it worked fine?

Certain motherboards have been known to have issues with cards, and its not exactly a simple  fix. Usually you have to return that board, and buy one that actually works. One of the many "Well thats not very helpful or specific but just works" answers that happens in this area. 

New Platform + New GPU + Known issues like this = Its simply MUCH easier to just return the board, let them know "hey this board does not work with 4090s, let customers know this" and then issue gets known and fixed eventually.

Sometimes all it takes to fix it is a bios update, or a vbios update, but the OP already said they did this and it did not fix it. Thus its a hardware related issue to the mobo, something isnt compatible or working properly and instead of taking days of troubleshooting, just let Asrock do that and go get a different board that works. If you have to troubleshoot more then an hour on a brand new system you bought because of something hardware related thats not at the fault of the user,  you are just better off returning the issue product and getting something else that at least you know will work. Looking online and doing quick searches with "Boardname ISSUE GPUNAME" and such can save a bit of time when you already had one issue.

17 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Certain motherboards have been known to have issues with cards, and its not exactly a simple  fix. Usually you have to return that board, and buy one that actually works. One of the many "Well thats not very helpful or specific but just works" answers that happens in this area. 

New Platform + New GPU + Known issues like this = Its simply MUCH easier to just return the board, let them know "hey this board does not work with 4090s, let customers know this" and then issue gets known and fixed eventually.

Sometimes all it takes to fix it is a bios update, or a vbios update, but the OP already said they did this and it did not fix it. Thus its a hardware related issue to the mobo, something isnt compatible or working properly and instead of taking days of troubleshooting, just let Asrock do that and go get a different board that works. If you have to troubleshoot more then an hour on a brand new system you bought because of something hardware related thats not at the fault of the user,  you are just better off returning the issue product and getting something else that at least you know will work. Looking online and doing quick searches with "Boardname ISSUE GPUNAME" and such can save a bit of time when you already had one issue.

Thanks for that. I figured as the other GPU worked it can’t be board, but seems like it can be. Never knew! 

im never on newest hardware (pc in signature is the first PC I’ve owned that I had built myself, before that pentium 4/ CD days was my last PC)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

because a 4090 is not a 2070

new stuffs, pcie4, more new stuffs, high power consumption etc, its not surprising *at all* boards have occasionally issues with new GPUs.

3 hours ago, St-V1 said:

or is it time to RMA my new motherboard

rma means you'll get the same board back... unlikely to fix anything,  you need to return the board because its not fit for the purpose (even though we don't know that for sure)

Would also definitely go for a different brand then, Asus, gigabyte,  msi... the usual suspects...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thanks for everyones thoughts.  Sounds like my suspicions are confirmed.

I had tried limiting the board/GPU to PCIE 4 - no significant difference. 

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

That was me.  Posting from a different computer.  

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can you disable the iGPU in the BIOS perhaps or at least make sure the dGPU is set as primary display device in there?

Yep, I've tried to force it to boot but it hangs after 4 seconds or BSODs.  It even corrupted my motherboard BIOS once and I had to reflash. 

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

New Platform + New GPU + Known issues like this = Its simply MUCH easier to just return the board,

That's my conclusion too.  Sucks after spending this kind of money! But good that I think we've narrowed it down to the motherboard.  Makes it a manageable problem!

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

because a 4090 is not a 2070

new stuffs, pcie4, more new stuffs, high power consumption etc, its not surprising *at all* boards have occasionally issues with new GPUs.

Could be kinder about it 😉 ! 

and actually write *useful* information, not repeating ‘new stuff’ ‘etc’ lol. 

@Shimejiihad an actual answer response. 

22 hours ago, St-V1 said:

Thanks for everyones thoughts.  Sounds like my suspicions are confirmed.

I had tried limiting the board/GPU to PCIE 4 - no significant difference.

You'd need to limit to PCIe 3 as its only a PCIe 4 card anyway so naturally your limitation made zero difference.  Its no fix, but it would at least confirm what the problem is.