Why is 3080ti more expensive than 4070ti?

Mark Kaine
Go to solution Solved by xAcid9,

Just part of the tactic to get you to buy overpriced card. "Hey this better card is cheaper, what a bargain!" 

i mean they're both overpriced here (europe) but still , shouldn't the 3080ti be cheaper,  and why are sellers always pulling this off, its not even a rare card or anything...

On average prices for the 4070ti seem to start at 900€, for the 3080ti at 1250€...

How bad is the bandwidth limitation of the 4070ti really,  i mean its still faster, right? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean they're both overpriced here (europe) but still , shouldn't the 3080ti be cheaper,  and why are sellers always pulling this off, its not even a rare card or anything...

On average prices for the 4070ti seem to start at 900€, for the 3080ti at 1250€...

How bad is the bandwidth limitation of the 4070ti really,  i mean its still faster, right? 

They are pretty similar performance wise. Really isnt much of a difference. Why the price? Because theres not much stock left of them probably and if people are still buying them at that, they dont see a reason to decrease it.

19 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

They are pretty similar performance wise. Really isnt much of a difference. Why the price? Because theres not much stock left of them probably and if people are still buying them at that, they dont see a reason to decrease it.

its true in some games they're similar but in most the 4070ti is significantly faster, often 30-60fps faster

it really mostly looks like this (i checked like 15 different benchmarks,  that the cards are on par is only true for very few titles, that i mostly never heard of btw)

Screenshot_20230114-052353_Gallery.thumb.png.a3d48716c1790707e3c4dd356a89195d.png

19 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Why the price? Because theres not much stock left of them probably and if people are still buying them at that,

yup, but i doubt that for some reason,  for example a 1080ti cost over thousand euros for many years, even when 2000 series was long launched... if they would have sold well they should have been sold out at some point lol... of course i don't know,  but to me it seems sellers here just dont care or forget about their old stock completely once a new gen has launched.

tldr: it makes no sense paying 350+ more for an older card with *less* performance,  yet they're offered that way, and its not a new phenomenon either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

its true in some games they're similar but in most the 4070ti is significantly faster, often 30-60fps faster

it really mostly looks like this (i checked like 15 different benchmarks,  that the cards are on par is only true for very few titles, that i mostly never heard of btw)

yup, but i doubt that for some reason,  for example a 1080ti cost over thousand euros for many years, even when 2000 series was long launched... if they would have sold well they should have been sold out at some point lol... of course i don't know,  but to me it seems sellers here just dont care or forget about their old stock completely once a new gen has launched.

tldr: it makes no sense paying 350+ more for an older card with *less* performance,  yet they're offered that way, and its not a new phenomenon either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yeah it doesnt make sense to do that, but rarely do they ever make sense on these sites anyway. They may have also paid a ton to get the cards and they are just trying to get what they paid for it, its what happened with the 3090tis as well.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yeah it doesnt make sense to do that, but rarely do they ever make sense on these sites anyway. They may have also paid a ton to get the cards and they are just trying to get what they paid for it, its what happened with the 3090tis as well.

i mean, you're right it seems they just dont see a reason to lower prices,  they'll sell more from the newer, cheaper cards anyway going forward...its been like that since at least 10 years, if not longer...

i just wanted to know if there's specific reasons for that, but seems we're mostly left speculating. 

btw just randomly saw ddr4 ram for half the price,  so they *do* lower prices for older products,  just not gpus lol...

i mean they don't even lower them to msrp, they just stay at scalper prices indefinitely,  i guess storage isnt so expensive after all... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just part of the tactic to get you to buy overpriced card. "Hey this better card is cheaper, what a bargain!" 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

That's kinda what I was thinking... they're basically taking them ransom lol... cause if they would sell them at lowered prices /msrp that tactic wouldn't work anymore...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity