Idea for labs: value calculator?

YellowJersey

I'm currently watching last Friday's WANShow where they're talking about labs. One of the things that LTT and many other reviewers don't really comment on is the value proposition of various pieces of hardware as prices are constantly changing and a product that is bad value at launch may be good value in the future if you find it on sale. So the idea is that you select the part, input the price (like if you find a hell of a black friday deal) and it spits out some kind of value metric (like FPS-per-dollar?). Asking on forums and doing your own research can be time consuming in the case of the latter and frustrating in the case of the former.

Anyway, just a thought. I imagine it's probably a lot more complicated than it sounds, especially given that every, say, GPU has a bazzilion variants from various board partners.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

All the variations makes it so much harder

(~one soul is not equal to another -Davey Jones)

Like my current gputhere was all kinds of arguments and speculation, especially because there was an emergency bios update couple days after it hit the shelves...it was a mess lol

Luckily I knew about it but in the end I just choose the board partner variation I thought looked neat

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Just now, lotus10101 said:

All the variations makes it so much harder

(~one soul is not equal to another -Davey Jones)

Like my current gputhere was all kinds of arguments and speculation, especially because there was an emergency bios update couple days after it hit the shelves...it was a mess lol

Luckily I knew about it but in the end I just choose the board partner variation I thought looked neat

Then I felt bad for a couple weeks because I paid the mark up price in Best buy but then the crypto boom happened a couple months later and felt somuch happier looking at the second hand prices 🤣🤣🤣

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Imagine the massive database that it needs, and the constant maintenance/data update it requires.

Aside from hardware, you also have to account drivers, game version, windows version.

Variance between paired hardware also, almost endless list of possibilities.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

All you need to do this for yourself is an average FPS chart and some prices. Hardware Unboxed regularly does a cost per frame analysis in their GPU reviews. You can just take the FPS number from that chart and divide the current cost by the FPS. That's not much more work than plugging the numbers into an online calculator.

• 4 months later...
On 1/13/2023 at 5:25 AM, YellowJersey said:

I'm currently watching last Friday's WANShow where they're talking about labs. One of the things that LTT and many other reviewers don't really comment on is the value proposition of various pieces of hardware as prices are constantly changing and a product that is bad value at launch may be good value in the future if you find it on sale. So the idea is that you select the part, input the price (like if you find a hell of a black friday deal) and it spits out some kind of value metric (like FPS-per-dollar?). Asking on forums and doing your own research can be time consuming in the case of the latter and frustrating in the case of the former.

Anyway, just a thought. I imagine it's probably a lot more complicated than it sounds, especially given that every, say, GPU has a bazzilion variants from various board partners.

"Value for money" is still a thing and is relevant as ever. And the enormous information void on the topic is a sad fact. A quick YouTube search makes it painfully obvious. The vast majority of "reviews" and "benchmarks" are... well:

A single top-tier product; a quick citation of listed specs; reconfirming the numbers with intangible numbers from FurmarkClassw/e; and finally, critical comparison and questions over a %dif between 320 and 360 fps in a decade-old game versus its top-tier twin brother from another mtfbrand; Profit!#notad". Some might even buy the product to stay ...what was that word for the unbiased, critical and "not paid" creator? Also, when was the last time you heard of The "Oh so great EVGA GPU division" excluding the obituary cycle-jerk? 

It's a bit easier googling. Because there are only a few credible eng sites, like "Tom's Hardware" and 'Guru3d". And even those most likely not invest in research and testing of new and coming games. No up-to-date benchmarks with older hardware, no reference sheet of what to expect the "upgrade". All we are left is "8GBvs12GB". 

Bonus Challenge: find a comparison and review round-up of nvme drives that isn't "top 10 fastest drives". 

There is approximately a 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

On 5/24/2023 at 2:05 PM, Timme said:

"Value for money" is still a thing and is relevant as ever. And the enormous information void on the topic is a sad fact. A quick YouTube search makes it painfully obvious. The vast majority of "reviews" and "benchmarks" are... well:

A single top-tier product; a quick citation of listed specs; reconfirming the numbers with intangible numbers from FurmarkClassw/e; and finally, critical comparison and questions over a %dif between 320 and 360 fps in a decade-old game versus its top-tier twin brother from another mtfbrand; Profit!#notad". Some might even buy the product to stay ...what was that word for the unbiased, critical and "not paid" creator? Also, when was the last time you heard of The "Oh so great EVGA GPU division" excluding the obituary cycle-jerk? 

It's a bit easier googling. Because there are only a few credible eng sites, like "Tom's Hardware" and 'Guru3d". And even those most likely not invest in research and testing of new and coming games. No up-to-date benchmarks with older hardware, no reference sheet of what to expect the "upgrade". All we are left is "8GBvs12GB". 

Bonus Challenge: find a comparison and review round-up of nvme drives that isn't "top 10 fastest drives". 

the problem is there so many dam variables its not as simple to jsut say x gpu is good at x. no one gets paid enough to do endless testing. you would need a test for every signal different scenario. and even if you do post numbers with one update can all ready throw thows numbers out in the water making the info not vailed any more.

do you no what is the fattest pc for crises? 🤷‍♂️

people dont just game making other benchmarks needed to add value to it.

back then it was all about the games no one cared much about anything els.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links