2080ti in 2023?

mccl

I built my pc back in 2019 and used to have 2  2070s NvLinked. I sold both of those cards when my second kid was born and bought a RX550 fot time being back in early 2021. Time being ended up till now. I want to upgrade my GPU at the moment since RX550D suck so bad. My system is I9 9900K, 32Gb Ram with 1000W PSU and since it's being PCIe Gen3 and 2080TI is dirt cheap these days should I buy one or two of these or buy a 3080 TI around the same price? 2080TI is $250 a piece. 3080 TI is around $500. What do you guys think?

I don't really want to buy an RTX 4000 card at the moment since it is way too expensive. I want to use my PC for another couple of years and buy a new PC instead of upgrading and giving this one to my kids. Oh, by the way, I want to game in 3040 x 1440 since I am using an Ultrawide monitor. I am not an Ultra setting kind of guy. I can easily go to Medium for a smoother experience.

3080 Ti for $500? Used?

Anyway, 3080 Ti is about 30% faster than 2080 Ti in 1080p and 50% faster in 4K.

9900K will bottleneck 3080 Ti in 1080p. So unless you play in 4K or at least 1440p, 3080 Ti is a bit of a waste, and don't go with 2x2080Tis either.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

No real point in buying two. SLI isn't well supported at all. The 2080Ti should do you well until you decide to upgrade. It's a solid card. I'm planning on adding one to my rig, since I don't really have time to game much and it's not a top priority. Plus, at that price, it's kind of hard to pass up; especially if you manage to get one cheaper, as they do go through from time to time. Just throw out lowball offers on the Best Offer cards.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

The 3080 ti will be better in the long run.

I used to have a LGA775 before. Which had PCI Express 2.0, USB 2.0 and DDR 2. As much as I tried to upgrade it the bottle neck was the architecture itself. No matter what I did it didn't go beyond a certain point. I believe I am in the same position at the moment. I9 9900K is PCI Express 3. So anything I would buy would be bottlenecked by this. It is fast don't get me wrong but after all these suggestions I think I will jump from RTX 2000 series to RTX 5000 or 6000 series in 2 to 4 years depending on how bad my experience would get in coming years. So long story short I wouldn't upgrade this PC other than buying a 2080TI or 3080TI.

3 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

3080 Ti for $500? Used?

Anyway, 3080 Ti is about 30% faster than 2080 Ti in 1080p and 50% faster in 4K.

9900K will bottleneck 3080 Ti in 1080p. So unless you play in 4K or at least 1440p, 3080 Ti is a bit of a waste, and don't go with 2x2080Tis either.

I wanted to know this actually. So, there is no point in getting a 3080Tı since it will be bottlenecked anyways. I didn't do my research while I was building this PC and I went for Intel. I should have gone for AMD so I could get another 5 years just buy upgrading my GPU and use same GPU for the next PC. Right now, it would be a total waste. I believe the best thing would be to stick a 2080TI in it and then pass it over to my kids and go for a completely brand-new PC in 2 to 4 years.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

No real point in buying two. SLI isn't well supported at all. The 2080Ti should do you well until you decide to upgrade. It's a solid card. I'm planning on adding one to my rig, since I don't really have time to game much and it's not a top priority. Plus, at that price, it's kind of hard to pass up; especially if you manage to get one cheaper, as they do go through from time to time. Just throw out lowball offers on the Best Offer cards.

I think I have to face the music about this. Normally two 2080TI's should give me the same performance as one 3090 or at least close. But developers cannot even make a proper game and go for day one patch and such. I shouldn't assume they would take their time to add multi-gpu support of any kind. : ( Too bad tho. I had an Asus NV-Bridge from my old setup. Oh, by the way, I am in China. No chance of Ebay here. But there are similar apps. I sold my 2070s for over USD1000 when I needed the money. Now you can get one for 150 to 200 USD.: P

2 hours ago, Scorpion_3381 said:

2080ti

Thank you.

6 hours ago, mccl said:

I think I have to face the music about this. Normally two 2080TI's should give me the same performance as one 3090 or at least close. But developers cannot even make a proper game and go for day one patch and such. I shouldn't assume they would take their time to add multi-gpu support of any kind. : ( 

Thank you.

The only reason it was a thing is before DX12 it was on Nvidia/AMD to support it.  With DX12 it is the game developer and only an extremely small amount cared about it.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2 hours ago, Fendrick said:

3070 over takes in almost all new games even with just 8GB Vram, I would not touch either though especially after coming from a 3070.

Also SLI is dead and is a gimmick for 3DMark only.

Could you elaborate a little on this? What kind of performance gains are we talking about? Because 3070 is the almost same price as 2080TI.

38 minutes ago, ewitte said:

The only reason it was a thing is before DX12 it was on Nvidia/AMD to support it.  With DX12 it is the game developer and only an extremely small amount cared about it.

I saw a couple of videos comparing a dual 2080TI system with a 3090 and "in multi-GPU supported" games dual 2080Tı setup either %5 behind or ahead depending on the title. Everyone keeps saying a new single GPU system is better however how is an almost 4-slot 4090 which is drawing officially drawing 450W and peaking over 600W any better? Yeah, multi-GPU is dead but new cards are as big and as power-consuming as a multi-GPU setup anyway. At least with a multi-GPU setup we could take off one of the GPUs and put it on another system (or give it away), sell one off when we need to or just disable it whenever we don't need that kind of performance.

So, I actually wish they would still support it. : (

26 minutes ago, mccl said:

Could you elaborate a little on this? What kind of performance gains are we talking about? Because 3070 is the almost same price as 2080TI.

I saw a couple of videos comparing a dual 2080TI system with a 3090 and "in multi-GPU supported" games dual 2080Tı setup either %5 behind or ahead depending on the title. Everyone keeps saying a new single GPU system is better however how is an almost 4-slot 4090 which is drawing officially drawing 450W and peaking over 600W any better? Yeah, multi-GPU is dead but new cards are as big and as power-consuming as a multi-GPU setup anyway. At least with a multi-GPU setup we could take off one of the GPUs and put it on another system (or give it away), sell one off when we need to or just disable it whenever we don't need that kind of performance.

Simple, because the 4090 runs cooler and more efficient than 2 2080 tis while having the performance of 4x 2080tis. You'll find your 2080tis throttling because one card does not have enough airflow and starts to stutter. What happens then? You get a watercooled setup that costs more then simply getting the best gpu you can afford.

Even years back where crossfire and SLI is widely supported, the general advise is to go with the single best GPU you can afford before you start thinking about multi gpu because even then it came with many caveats like support, crashes and micro stuttering. That advise hasn't changed. 

EDIT: The 4090 doesn't equal 4x 2080ti in all cases, the performance I referring to here is in rendering. In gaming it can range from 2 to 4 2080 tis.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

well a 3070 will be newer and perform about the same,  so that.

3080 is like 30% faster but will be bottlenecked by your system,  so kinda doesn't make sense. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, mccl said:

The 3070 on average is around 5% faster, uses less power, but does have less Vram.

If the 2080Ti is cheaper by 100 or more then buy the 2080 Ti.

5800X 4720mhz fixed OC 6900XT -75mv, 2600mhz 1440P 165hz

Full rig here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xvJF2m  

10 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Simple, because the 4090 runs cooler and more efficient than 2 2080 tis while having the performance of 4x 2080tis. You'll find your 2080tis throttling because one card does not have enough airflow and starts to stutter. What happens then? You get a watercooled setup that costs more then simply getting the best gpu you can afford.

Even years back where crossfire and SLI is widely supported, the general advise is to go with the single best GPU you can afford before you start thinking about multi gpu because even then it came with many caveats like support, crashes and micro stuttering. That advise hasn't changed. 

EDIT: The 4090 doesn't equal 4x 2080ti in all cases, the performance I referring to here is in rendering. In gaming it can range from 2 to 4 2080 tis.

Yeah but SLI/Crossfire is a little different. NVLink was actually a standard Nvidia used in AI servers and was something that performed as well as PCI-E Gen4 between cards during PCI-E Gen 3 era. SLI/Xfire was never good because even though you could have connected more than each card you added performed 20 to 30% extra. NVLink wasn't like that. Let me put it in an example. 2x 2080TI performs almost the same as a 3090 or maybe 5% slower or faster based on the benchmark it's performing. But 2x 1080TI when connected by SLI could never ever come close to a single 2080TI not because of the performance of each card but because of the inferior SLI technology. Nvidia didn't abandon NV Link because (only) they didn't like the multi-GPU set up they say PCI-Express 5 is fast enough for multi-GPUs. So that's why only their higher-end cards had NVLink in 3000 series and they totally removed it (as far as I know) from their 4000 series.

My theory is that Nvidia didn't want people to stick with their previous flagship by adding one more next to it. Because you could always do what I did and buy a 1000W or over PSU when you first build your setup and add one more card later to catch up with the latest flagship. 2 x 2080 TI second-hand goes around 400 to 500 dollars here. But a 3090 is still around 700 to 800 dollars. So by killing multi-GPU big tech assured that you always go for the last Gen.

Also trying to push the limit in a single card without caring the form factor created all slews of problems. Like the melting power cables, thermal throttling or overheating like AMD faces. And what's with an almost 4 slots card? How can people build a small media PC with an ITX form factor anymore? NVidia pushing the technology disregarding everything else isn't a good thing. They push other producers to accommodate them as well. It's not just GPUs got fat and expensive. PSUs and motherboards followed as well. Forget about crypto and covid and inflation. People just don't wanna pay a nice second-hand car money for a high-end PC anymore. GPU prices were maximum 30% of a system before. Now it is around 60% of the entire budget.

Sorry I dragged on a lot. But I don't like what big Tech is doing. And, actually, it got back to them. Nobody is buying anything anymore and the trend will go like this till they get their act together.

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

well a 3070 will be newer and perform about the same,  so that.

3080 is like 30% faster but will be bottlenecked by your system,  so kinda doesn't make sense. 

Newer isn't always the better but I agree that something faster than 2080TI will always be bottlenecked by my system. Anyway, as soon as I get my finances back on track, I'll build something more future-proof. My mistake, while I was building this PC, was I just when for the best Intel and Nvidia offered. I should have thought more about future-proofing my system and buying a PCI-E gen 4 AMD Ryzen system. It doesn't mean my PC is slow. it's just not going to be fast as long as I wanted it.

1 hour ago, Fendrick said:

The 3070 on average is around 5% faster, uses less power, but does have less Vram.

If the 2080Ti is cheaper by 100 or more then buy the 2080 Ti.

Yeah, I decided to go for 2080TI. There is no point in getting something bottlenecked by this PC and will be at least 2 generations old by the time I build a new system. So, I'll stick a 2080TI in this one and call it a day. And when the time comes, I'll go with a completely last-gen and future-proof build so I can use it for 5 to 8 years. This one will be going for 5 years as well but not really satisfyingly. I am OK with the speed, but the system became a bottleneck after 3 years. My previous build got me going for almost 10 years with small upgrades.