Dell optiplex 790 sff upgrade

RogueXD
Go to solution Solved by Aragorn-,

Personally, i simply wouldnt bother. Any decent GPU wont fit in the SFF case (low profile cards exist but they tend to be comparatively expensive and slow) and the PSU is not powerful enough and cant easily be upgraded.

Sell the 790 as is, and go find yourself a cheap workstation, Dell T3610, HP Z420 etc.

Find one with at least 6 cores (or buy a low end one and pickup a 6 core chip for it)

Then install your GPU.

The workstations come with GPU ready power supplies and are extremely cheap on ebay etc if you shop around for a good deal.

Linus did a video on the Z420 recently, check it out. I've done this route myself with a T3610 too.

Hello everyone!

So I've wanting to upgrade my optiplex 790 sff's gpu to gtx 960. Anyone having an idea what else should i upgrade to get that done? For example the psu or the cpu for bottlenecking? 

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, RogueXD said:

Hello everyone!

So I've wanting to upgrade my optiplex 790 sff's gpu to gtx 960. Anyone having an idea what else should i upgrade to get that done? For example the psu or the cpu for bottlenecking? 

Thank you.

Have you considered replacing this entire thing? At this point, it's close to 12 years old. (based on release date in my country)

Personally, i simply wouldnt bother. Any decent GPU wont fit in the SFF case (low profile cards exist but they tend to be comparatively expensive and slow) and the PSU is not powerful enough and cant easily be upgraded.

Sell the 790 as is, and go find yourself a cheap workstation, Dell T3610, HP Z420 etc.

Find one with at least 6 cores (or buy a low end one and pickup a 6 core chip for it)

Then install your GPU.

The workstations come with GPU ready power supplies and are extremely cheap on ebay etc if you shop around for a good deal.

Linus did a video on the Z420 recently, check it out. I've done this route myself with a T3610 too.

21 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

Have you considered replacing this entire thing? At this point, it's close to 12 years old. (based on release date in my country)

Hmmm. I think now thats my only way. Thank you

17 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

Then install your GPU.

I got this answer somewhere else too and i just wanted to confirm if thats the only way. Also its a bit costly for it to upgrade so its probably best to buy a new one. Anyways thanks for the reply. Thank you!

the RTX A2000 fits you.

it's an RTX3060 laptop on an LP PCIE card and consumes 70W which needs no 6pin or 8pin

d52a2834349b033b7b8c7498926ec7dbd439bd91.webp

Lenovo Thinkstation P410

xeon e5 2666v3

4x8g ddr4 2133 RECC

nvidia RTX A4000 16g

micron BX500 480g

intel P4501 4TB

Fwiw- I have this exact SFF in the den for web use and casual/older gaming. Bought it stupid cheap and found a cheap RX 550 4 GB low profile to throw in it.

Works fine as is since the GPU just uses the PCI-e slot power.

Do you already have the low profile GTX 760?

These type systems are limited by the mobo (allowed ram speed) and power delivery (CPU tdp).

So you don't want to throw too much money at one.