pc frozen on MSI loading screen

kran1521

Problem Description:

I was using my pc (few browser tabs, vscode, overwatch 2 update), which i had built around Oct 21 2022. I took a break for around 10 minutes looking away from the screen. When i came back screen was frozen, no sounds came from doing anything so i held the power button down and restarted the computer. When it restarted, the screen was stuck on the MSI logo with a frozen wheel (picture attached). After everything i have tried i cannot get the pc to go past this screen.

My parts:

- BIOS version E7D25IMS.192

Things i have tried:

1. Disabled XMP
  2. Tried to boot with one stick of RAM at a time
  3. Disabled secure boot
  4. Cleared CMOS (with battery (waited around 10-15mins) and jumper)
  5. Tried to update BIOS using M-Flash with multiple USBs but file was not detected
  6. Tried to flash bios using bios flashback button. Used multiple USBs including one with which i had flashed before when first building my system. All usbs were formatted as FAT32 and with MBR. Disconnected all components apart from cpu power and motherboard ATX when doing this
  7. tried to boot from windows installation media USB, leads to same screen
  8. Wiped my SSD from the bios, tried to boot from windows USB again, same screen
  9. Ran NVME self check on the SSD in the bios which came out clean.
  10. bought brand new RAM (kingston fury beast ddrr4 2x16GB) and tried to boot with it with no luck
  11. bought brand new hard drive, removed my ssd and tried to boot 
  12. tried to place gpu in a different pcie slot (pcie3)

video of what happens: 

Before i wiped my SSD, when having cleared the CMOS the screen that appeared was instead a Windows logo, but it froze in the same way as the other screen. In some cases the screen also said 'preparing automatic repair'.

Before the screen appeared, my keyboard would be on however when the screen froze my keyboard would be off. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i am about to begin exams and this period will be significantly more difficult without my pc. Thank you. 

powerSurge.jpg

msiFrozenScreen.jpg

Edited by kran1521
added 10,11,12 to things tried

Do you have an extra storage device? Disconnect the main OS drive, and try installing windows on the second disk? (just so you don't wreck any important data on your OS drive) Because I would be looking hard at that SSD/software.

5 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

Do you have an extra storage device? Disconnect the main OS drive, and try installing windows on the second disk? (just so you don't wreck any important data on your OS drive) Because I would be looking hard at that SSD/software.

Thank you for your reply. I unfortunately do not have an extra storage device. In my bios i ran the NVME self check on the SSD and it came out clean. i should have included this in the original post and will edit it now. I will consider buying a cheap hard drive to test this.

To sell my previous PC, I bought a used 160 gb HDD for 5 euros from a local-to-me pc store. They just had a bunch of them, after upgrading customer PC's. It's junk, and no-one in their right mind would actually use such a thing. But in your case, it might be a useful diagnostic tool.

If your stuck on the manufacture logo screen it means your pc did not complete its POST(Power On Self Test), so the most likely problem is your ram got damaged by whatever happened with the surge plug. So yes, you probably will have to buy new RAM no matter how much you hate to spend money on it. Don't know how the surge protector got damaged, but it looks like some of  the surge still went through and damaged your RAM.

Just to be sure take your ram to the nearest computer repair or computer store and ask them to test if your ram is bad or not. Buying a ram tester yourself is more expensive.

Have you tried your GPU in a different slot. Only a wild guess as the possibilities run out without a second system for testing components.

18 hours ago, WackySpace said:

If your stuck on the manufacture logo screen it means your pc did not complete its POST(Power On Self Test), so the most likely problem is your ram got damaged by whatever happened with the surge plug. So yes, you probably will have to buy new RAM no matter how much you hate to spend money on it. Don't know how the surge protector got damaged, but it looks like some of  the surge still went through and damaged your RAM.

Just to be sure take your ram to the nearest computer repair or computer store and ask them to test if your ram is bad or not. Buying a ram tester yourself is more expensive.

19 hours ago, Budget DIY said:

To sell my previous PC, I bought a used 160 gb HDD for 5 euros from a local-to-me pc store. They just had a bunch of them, after upgrading customer PC's. It's junk, and no-one in their right mind would actually use such a thing. But in your case, it might be a useful diagnostic tool.

I called the one computer repair store in my area and did not feel comfortable with how the owner spoke to me so i have decided to order a new set of ram and a cheap hard drive from amazon, which i may return if it doesnt work. thank you for the responses. 

i did also try my gpu in a different slot but that didnt work unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, kran1521 said:

I called the one computer repair store in my area and did not feel comfortable with how the owner spoke to me so i have decided to order a new set of ram and a cheap hard drive from amazon, which i may return if it doesnt work. thank you for the responses. 

i did also try my gpu in a different slot but that didnt work unfortunately. 

It's likely they want to charge you are lot for a simple service. I'm pretty sure its a ram problem. Did you test your ram one by one, if it's still in the msi screen then your ram is bad, so when you get your new ram and it works, then it was your RAM.

38 minutes ago, WackySpace said:

It's likely they want to charge you are lot for a simple service. I'm pretty sure its a ram problem. Did you test your ram one by one, if it's still in the msi screen then your ram is bad, so when you get your new ram and it works, then it was your RAM.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, RiffTheRaff said:

Have you tried your GPU in a different slot. Only a wild guess as the possibilities run out without a second system for testing components.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:12 PM, Budget DIY said:

I ordered brand new RAM off amazon as well as a brand new hard drive. I tested the new ram in my system and it unfortunately still didnt work. i removed my ssd and connected the hard drive and also switched the gpu placement and this still didnt work. At this point i am very lost, maybe there is a motherboard issue?

On 1/13/2023 at 9:45 PM, kran1521 said:

I ordered brand new RAM off amazon as well as a brand new hard drive. I tested the new ram in my system and it unfortunately still didnt work. i removed my ssd and connected the hard drive and also switched the gpu placement and this still didnt work. At this point i am very lost, maybe there is a motherboard issue?

You see there are capacitors in the motherboard. They look like this

Computer motherboard capacitors - Stock Image - C007/0858 - Science ...

Are they leaking anything? If so, then its a motherboard issue.

The only other reason I can think of is a corrupt BIOS, and the RAM slots being damaged from the power surge, or if those capacitors are leaking, the motherboard.

Edited by WackySpace

Just now, WackySpace said:

You see there are capacitors in the motherboard. They look like this

Computer motherboard capacitors - Stock Image - C007/0858 - Science ...

Are they leaking anything? If so, then its a motherboard issue.

The only other reason I can think of is a corrupt BIOS, and the RAM slots being damaged from the power surge, or if those capacitors are leaking, the motherboard. If it is leaking then you have to replace your motherboard, replacing these things are too much trouble.

• 10 months later...

Hi, i have exactly the same problem with a very similar build (also an MSI mobo).

Did you find any solution?