HDMI eARC in Monitors (Or an alternative way that isn’t cost prohibitive)

I might be alone in wanting this at all, but seeing as many monitors are shifting to be entertainment hubs (like Samsung’s gaming hub) and how there are now monitors reaching upwards of 40 inches, the lack of eARC support in any way shape or form is a bit of a head-scratcher. I had got a Sonos Beam Gen 2 for Christmas and thought I could just plug it into my 3000 series GPU for only sound, but that’s not supported. On top of that, the only way to use Dolby Atmos (except a dedicated receiver) is with hdmi (e)ARC. There are extractors on the market that will split your audio and video, but they seem spotty at best, with the chance of them working for your setup being up in the air until you blow at least $200 dollars on one that has hdmi 2.0 specs but is listed to support eARC somehow anyway. I feel like this would be a topic Linus would’ve covered already, but I don’t think any big tech channels in general have. Understandable if it’s a niche desire/product, as it wouldn’t make sense to build an eARC port into monitors if it doesn’t get used by 90% of owners, so I’m wondering if I’m alone in my thinking.

• 11 months later...

I'm in the same boat. my monitor is a Samsung Neo G8. I'm getting the Sonos beam gen 2 at a discount and I want to use it as a desktop speaker. Unfortunately, I didn't find any information about eARC HDMI for this monitor and I might need to return it. I'll update it once the soundbar arrives.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 4:18 PM, Hohhot said:

I'm in the same boat. my monitor is a Samsung Neo G8. I'm getting the Sonos beam gen 2 at a discount and I want to use it as a desktop speaker. Unfortunately, I didn't find any information about eARC HDMI for this monitor and I might need to return it. I'll update it once the soundbar arrives.

You can use either eARC or ARC