$755 4070 ti to replace 3080 10G

tony95

I am really struggling whether to pick this card up from best buy. I have a MSI 4070ti Ventus 3X OC waiting for pick up. I used the coupon code so price before tax is $755. My thought is to sell my EVGA 3080 10G Ultra for about $600, but it has a EK Waterblock on it so that is probably really going to narrow the  buyers I think. I am not even going to try to get the fan back on because I would have to hunt screws and buy thermal pads and not worth it. So, maybe I have to unload it for something like $500 then ebay fees will probably be $75 and take on my new card make total $824. So I guess the trade could be about $400 out of pocket. Does anyone think the performance will be worth it? I think it is about 20-25 percent boost and more efficient for sure.

3 minutes ago, tony95 said:

Does anyone think the performance will be worth it?

no , of course it's not. the 4070 isn't even worth it at half the price.

but then again some people value money a lot different so your millage may differ

Worth is only valuable to you. 99% of people on here will tell you the 4070ti Is probably one of the worst purchases you can make at the moment. Its not much of a performance increase over your 3080, and its priced at a higher price unless you bought it at pandemic bloated pricing. 

Especially with how much you paid for your 3080+waterblock, its really not worth it.

Just now, emosun said:

but then again some people value money a lot different so your millage may differ

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I would get by with being out only $200-300 on trade, that would be worth it but it is probably going to come down to what I can sell my 3080. I looked on Ebay and dang, there are a bunch of 3080 on there at about 500, but if someone wants a waterblock maybe I get lucky. Guess I should just list it and see if I can get enough to make it worth it.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Worth is only valuable to you. 99% of people on here will tell you the 4070ti Is probably one of the worst purchases you can make at the moment. Its not much of a performance increase over your 3080, and its priced at a higher price unless you bought it at pandemic bloated pricing. 

Especially with how much you paid for your 3080+waterblock, its really not worth it.

I got the card at retail price but adding the block was expensive, So it was about $1000 total. However I have had it about 2 years and if I wait the value on a 4070 will drop but so will the value on my 3080, so how much difference will it make in 6-12 months

I do realize the very fact I have to debate this in my head says it's probably a bad idea to buy it. But its $755, aren't most people complaining because so many 4070ti are near $900 or more?

I am old enough to remember when waiting 2 years meant an upgrade would give a 100-200 percent performance boost 

4 minutes ago, tony95 said:

I do realize the very fact I have to debate this in my head says it's probably a bad idea to buy it. But its $755, aren't most people complaining because so many 4070ti are near $900 or more?

A 70 series card should not be above 500$ Realistically, 50 should be sub 200, 60 sub 300, 70 sub 500, and 80 sub 700. Then flagship 1000 and under. This is pretty much ideal pricing for a competitive enviroment. Most people can buy 60/70, people who want highest performance 80/flagship. 

All the specs of this card show its a mix between 60 and 70 series, yet its at 800$+. That is not a product you should buy.

Just now, tony95 said:

I am old enough to remember when waiting 2 years meant an upgrade would give a 100-200 percent performance boost 

This hasnt been a thing for quite some time. Usually its 20-40% year over year. 980ti to 1080ti was a MASSIVE jump, 1080ti to 2080ti was a step forward, and 2080ti to 3090ti was a pretty large jump, and then 3090ti to 4090 was a MASSIVE leap. The inbetween cards though? They have been pretty much consistent over the years.

28 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

A 70 series card should not be above 500$ Realistically, 50 should be sub 200, 60 sub 300, 70 sub 500, and 80 sub 700. Then flagship 1000 and under. This is pretty much ideal pricing for a competitive enviroment. Most people can buy 60/70, people who want highest performance 80/flagship. 

All the specs of this card show its a mix between 60 and 70 series, yet its at 800$+. That is not a product you should buy.

This hasnt been a thing for quite some time. Usually its 20-40% year over year. 980ti to 1080ti was a MASSIVE jump, 1080ti to 2080ti was a step forward, and 2080ti to 3090ti was a pretty large jump, and then 3090ti to 4090 was a MASSIVE leap. The inbetween cards though? They have been pretty much consistent over the years.

Yeah, I know we haven't seen jumps like that since about the turn of the century. I think saying a 70 series should be 500 is an arbitrary statement. Crypto really screwed up the GPU market. Just a couple of years ago if you paid $2000 for a 3080 you pretty much got it for free because you could just run it on NiceHash and get paid back. Now everything is overpriced so until the market corrects, a 2 year old 3080 is worth $500 and a new 4070ti may or may not be worth $755

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Where'd you get that idea? It's equal to/slight improvement over a 3090 at a lower price than they can be had for (AFAIK most are still around $1000 or above when bought new). While pulling less power. 

1 hour ago, tony95 said:

Yeah I think people aren't reading the price you got it for. At that price it's a solid card given the performance. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Where'd you get that idea? It's equal to/slight improvement over a 3090 at a lower price than they can be had for (AFAIK most are still around $1000 or above when bought new). While pulling less power. 

Yeah I think people aren't reading the price you got it for. At that price it's a solid card given the performance. 

This card catches a lot of crap because of it's price to performance,vs previous cards in it's "class" if class or tier is even valid at this point, and general Nvidia shifty shady business practices,I mean atleast a couple people who are salty on this one are still sore from paying near $2k for a 3060ti mid pandemic 😆 in hindsight I wish I sold my card in the middle of that messy year, shit I wish I waited to sell my old rx580 8G, I sold it three months before the crypto boom for $120...later I saw the same card sold on eBay second hand for $500, it was bad, I'd say look at it this way realistically for $755 can you legitimately get a NEW card that's better than this one? Not 1% - 5% in synthetic, 15%+ real world better? If not keep this one 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Probably not too bad but 4070ti's just not good enough of an upgrade to jump from the 3080 honestly. If it doesn't make sense to upgrade from 3080 to 3090 or 3080ti, then the same should applied to 4070ti. The performance jump just isn't good enough, I'll rather lower the setting than dealing with selling my card on ebay.

11 hours ago, Zando_ said:

I don't know, people seem to be thinking since it has a 70 in the name it is only worth $500, but that hasn't been the case for at least a couple of years and markets don't work that way. It does seem to be the case that the 4080 and 4070 are not selling well so I am sure there will be a price drop, My big question is if that price drop is going to make a difference when my existing card is sure to drop with it. I could sell my 3080 now and wait for the 4070 to come down but then I would be running on a 5700xt and that would kinda suck.

9 hours ago, e22big said:

Probably not too bad but 4070ti's just not good enough of an upgrade to jump from the 3080 honestly. If it doesn't make sense to upgrade from 3080 to 3090 or 3080ti, then the same should applied to 4070ti. The performance jump just isn't good enough, I'll rather lower the setting than dealing with selling my card on ebay.

The only game really giving me a problem is Assassins Creed Odyssey. The Avg FPS is fine at about 110 on 1080p Ultra setting. but it is dropping to 30 or even single digits in the benchmark. I am running a Ryzen 5600 so I don't know if my card is the issue or my computer. It seemed to run a little better when I had a 9700k in it. While playing I do get a little stutter occasionally, turning down volumetric clouds and shadows helps but doesn't eliminate the problem. I think replacing the motherboard/cpu would be more expensive than upgrading my card.

I think I will put my 3080 in my 7700x PC. Maybe I will get the performance boost I need with a better CPU. I have been assuming a 5600 would be plenty for 3080 but maybe I am wrong. I really like using my 7700x for rendering video, if I put it in my gaming PC then I won't be able to use it for video because the overclock will be way less efficient and my gaming computer get rebooted much more often because I do a lot of things on it. Also, I don't want to cancel a 3-6 hour video render because I want to play a game, so it really does need to be dedicated to gaming or productivity it can't do both. Maybe I can use Ryzen Master to change my OC on the fly if I know I am not going to be using it for a while. If this doesn't make much difference then I will go pick up the new card.

18 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Where'd you get that idea?

oh well you see I'm a person who can decide what I think without some youtube personality whos paid to sell stuff dictating my choices.

Seeing as the question was asked if it was worth it , and I think it's not , that's how i answered it. This doesn't entirely matter as the OP is also a 100% free will individual and can decide what to do based on any number of factors so what I think shouldn't bother you in the slightest.