Disk errors and corrupt files

Zonal
Go to solution Solved by DigitalGoat,
3 minutes ago, Zonal said:

Hi, so a bit ago I did a big upgrade with new mobo ram and cpu. I struggled to even get windows 11 installed as it kept giving bsod and install errors saying it didn’t have the required files even after formatting the usb stick and redownloading multiple times.

I finally got it to work but now it’s giving me disk errors and corrupt file errors on steam even after clearing the cache and redownloading the game. It did however work on a small download of ≈300mb on steam but for games like destiny 2 and cs:go it keeps giving these errors. I’ve tried downloading on another drive with the same result, both of which are fine according to the windows drive scanner.

I did get the destiny to launch by launching it from outside of steam but it has lots of crashes saying something about the files not being there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Start with the basics, check all cables are plugged in correctly, firmly, especially data cables, same for RAM, make sure it is seated correctly.

Run memtest86 or similar to check that RAM is not the issue.

Change power and data cables for the problem disk or if we are talking an M.2 disk remove it and re insert it.

You can use an app like HDSentinal to check disks for problems, there are many of these apps, most provide free trials or you can find open source ones.

If you continue to get errors it is possible, depending on how the disks are connected that the SATA or M.2 ports are failing/ damaged, if possible try the disks on a different machine.

Sometimes a BIOS update can sort out SATA/ M.2 issues, see if there is an update mentioning disk or IO performance/ stability.

Hi, so a bit ago I did a big upgrade with new mobo ram and cpu. I struggled to even get windows 11 installed as it kept giving bsod and install errors saying it didn’t have the required files even after formatting the usb stick and redownloading multiple times.

I finally got it to work but now it’s giving me disk errors and corrupt file errors on steam even after clearing the cache and redownloading the game. It did however work on a small download of ≈300mb on steam but for games like destiny 2 and cs:go it keeps giving these errors. I’ve tried downloading on another drive with the same result, both of which are fine according to the windows drive scanner.

I did get the destiny to launch by launching it from outside of steam but it has lots of crashes saying something about the files not being there.

3 minutes ago, Zonal said:

Start with the basics, check all cables are plugged in correctly, firmly, especially data cables, same for RAM, make sure it is seated correctly.

Change power and data cables for the problem disk or if we are talking an M.2 disk remove it and re insert it.

You can use an app like HDSentinal to check disks for problems, there are many of these apps, most provide free trials or you can find open source ones.

If you continue to get errors it is possible, depending on how the disks are connected that the SATA or M.2 ports are failing/ damaged, if possible try the disks on a different machine.

Sometimes a BIOS update can sort out SATA/ M.2 issues, see if there is an update mentioning disk or IO performance/ stability.

3 hours ago, DigitalGoat said:

Thanks for the response! I’m running memtest86 and it’s reporting a lot of errors. 😬 

4 hours ago, Zonal said:

Thanks for the response! I’m running memtest86 and it’s reporting a lot of errors. 😬 

That could mean one or more RAM modules are faulty or one or more RAM slots are faulty, or the CPU memory controller is faulty or CPU mounting pressure is uneven causing bad contact on the pins concerned with the memory IO of the CPU.

Try the RAM one module at a time in each slot to see if you can eliminate the slots as culprits or the modules, clean RAM slots, sometimes an almost invisible piece of debris can cause issues.

Check CPU mounting pressure/ reseat cooler.

So I tried turning expo back on and somehow it’s working perfectly now 😂. Would you recommend reinstalling windows then since I installed it while it was still having problems? 

1 hour ago, DigitalGoat said:

That could mean one or more RAM modules are faulty or one or more RAM slots are faulty

38 minutes ago, Zonal said:

So I tried turning expo back on and somehow it’s working perfectly now 😂. Would you recommend reinstalling windows then since I installed it while it was still having problems? 

I don't see a need to re install Windows if things seem to be working properly, maybe just see how it goes for a week or two.

29 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

I don't see a need to re install Windows if things seem to be working properly, maybe just see how it goes for a week or two.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully it works now 🤞