Unable to figure out problem causing PC to Freeze

TheWildGabe

Hi,

I have recently decided to upgrade my PC.

I went from a Ryzen 3 1300X to a Ryzen 7 5800X.

Every since I have made the switch my PC seems to have become very unstable, I am unable to run a simple benchmark such as User Benchmark.

My PC completely freezes during intensive games, such as Rust or Fifa23, 

Initially I thought it was my CPU overheating as I was using a stock AMD wraith cooler on it. I have since upgrades to an Arctic Freezer 34 Esportsduo.

I have reached out to somebody I know and they weren't able to pin point the issue that has been causing my PC to freeze up. 

Whilst trying to find a fix for this, it had also fully corrupted my SSD ( Maybe that can help find the root of problems )

I had read up on dying GPU's and I have none of the symptoms that its dying.

Moments that I had PC freeze:

Browsing Menus on Fifa23 + Trying to open packs.

10-15 minutes into playing rust, sometimes shortly after launching rust.

Running User Benchmark, It constantly freezes at roughly the same point, the "Gravity" GPU test. Below is my most recent Benchmark.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58163272

Troubleshooting I have tried.

Clean both drives and reinstall windows,

use DDU and clean wipe drivers,

Take out Ram and place it back,

Clean GPU fans and put GPU back.

Specs:

Motherboard PRIME A320M-K

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X

Nvidia GTX 1070

Sandisk 500GB SSD ( Ran into issues shortly after doing a benchmark, going to try and format it and see if it still works )

Toshiba 500GB HDD

16GB ( 2x8GB ) Ram Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000

EVGA 600W PSU 80+ White

1 minute ago, Hope Noble said:

I would assume that it is the motherboard being maybe to low spec for the CPU but usually that's not really a problem. 

How does the PC freezes? You can not do anything, your mouse still moves and you can use open programs like the browser but heavier things just don't work? 
If you have reinstalled everything and also installed all the current drivers from the AMD / Nvidia website it should be fine. 

If you can try another MB / PSU combination. Could solve the issue as far as I can tell here. 

When It freezes I can still hear sound for a few minutes, I am allowed to move my mouse for roughly 20 seconds but then the entire screen freezes. 

I am unable to open or close programs at all, CTRL SHIFT ESC dosent work and neither does CTRL ALT DELETE.

I have not installed any AMD Drivers only did a BIOS Update to allow the motherboard to work with the CPU, What AMD Drivers should I be looking to install.

I am also currently not able to change the PSU or MB to test the individually unless I buy them new and try them out.

25 minutes ago, Hope Noble said:

You may want to install the AMD chipset driver which can be downloaded from the AMD website. 
https://www.amd.com/en/support
Here look for your chipset in that case A320 or for your CPU it should show you the driver as well. 

Install those reboot the PC and try again. If the issue persist let me know. I will see what I can do. 

I have installed the newest AMD Drivers, Rebooted the system, ran the bench mark, made it roughly 20 frames further, but still froze,

I ran it again, it froze at the normal point, screen flashed black like per usual but then a visual glitch appeared within the benchmark window, the colors were just RGB in 3-4 thick columns, it lasted for maybe 2-3 frames before continuing on, Results from benchmark are below.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58165164

3 minutes ago, Hope Noble said:

It looks fine so far. 
The RAM is running in dual channel? 
The performance of that seems low. Could also be because it crashed. 
I would still assume it's the Motherboard that's causing the problem. 
Everything else looks fine so far. 

I used CPU-Z and this is what it says, I assume that might be dual channel.

image.png.3ba3c8da5d07df9c5a082cca68402520.png

I have noticed my fans making a louder noise during the GPU tests, At the end of the user benchmark it makes a sound similar to a kettle for 3-5 seconds and the other noise I presume comes from the fans reaching max RPM as its trying to cool the GPU. I have checked the temperatures and the hottest it has hit during the testing was 67c.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:07 PM, Hope Noble said:

It looks fine so far. 
The RAM is running in dual channel? 
The performance of that seems low. Could also be because it crashed. 
I would still assume it's the Motherboard that's causing the problem. 
Everything else looks fine so far. 

I have just tried 4 more games and 3 of them all crashed and blames it on graphics drivers, Do you think this could be the motherboard causing it at all or is it my gpu dying?

Still have the old cpu to try? Did you reset the bios settings and confirm pbo and xmp are off?

On 1/7/2023 at 11:30 PM, TheWildGabe said:

When It freezes I can still hear sound for a few minutes, I am allowed to move my mouse for roughly 20 seconds but then the entire screen freezes. 

I am unable to open or close programs at all, CTRL SHIFT ESC dosent work and neither does CTRL ALT DELETE.

I have not installed any AMD Drivers only did a BIOS Update to allow the motherboard to work with the CPU, What AMD Drivers should I be looking to install.

I am also currently not able to change the PSU or MB to test the individually unless I buy them new and try them out.

I had the exact same problem. This happened when I didn't realise my cpu was overheating for a while and when I checked the temperature it was at 100'C, it was my old i3 4th gen. My pc froze while using it and the mouse could move, but then froze completely. This is because the cpu got damaged, but was also quite old. You said it might have been overheating before you installed a new cooler? Did you replace the thermal paste as well. If so and the temperatures are fine. It could also be your SSD like you said. 

Depending on how old your gpu is, and how much you overclocked it. Most GPU's die at 5 years old at most, it could be your gpu also causing your games to crash, my old gpu even caused BSOD.

18 hours ago, andy_man said:

Still have the old cpu to try? Did you reset the bios settings and confirm pbo and xmp are off?

I do still have the old cpu I just need to check if i have enough thermal paste to swap it out, I just tried reseting bios settings and made sure to check pbo and xmp off on it. same problem

5 hours ago, WackySpace said:

I had the exact same problem. This happened when I didn't realise my cpu was overheating for a while and when I checked the temperature it was at 100'C, it was my old i3 4th gen. My pc froze while using it and the mouse could move, but then froze completely. This is because the cpu got damaged, but was also quite old. You said it might have been overheating before you installed a new cooler? Did you replace the thermal paste as well. If so and the temperatures are fine. It could also be your SSD like you said. 

Depending on how old your gpu is, and how much you overclocked it. Most GPU's die at 5 years old at most, it could be your gpu also causing your games to crash, my old gpu even caused BSOD.

It's a 1070 MSI edition, I was used for about 2 years by a friend, put into the original box and then sold to me, I think i've used it for roughly 2 years too. 

I haven't used my CPU much when i realized it was overheating, the highest it ran was 93C when i tested a game for 2 minutes, I then stopped using PC and went on holiday, when i came back put on the cooler and only used it with new cooler, I highly doubt cpu could have been harmed. I replaced thermal paste with fresh new one. 

The SSD fully corrupted and once removing it from the system it hasent changed anything, I am still failing at the Gravity GPU test https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58305453 < New test ran today.

I wish I had a way to check if its 100% the gpu, I dont happen to have a spare on hand that I can check with. Maybe just time to replace it