How to tell if a SSD drive is brand-new?

stanleystf

I intend to buy an 8TB Samsung SSD from ebay. The seller claims it's brand-new. How can I check and confirm that?

Just now, xdagamer said:

use crystal disk info, if seller allows return if not then maybe ask him for a screenshot of the app

I checked and crystal disk info is not released for MAC! How can I tell on my macbook?

I don't think the seller can do that because he claims it's brand-new/sealed.

4 minutes ago, stanleystf said:

I checked and crystal disk info is not released for MAC! How can I tell on my macbook?

I don't think the seller can do that because he claims it's brand-new/sealed.

SMART Utility · GSmartControl · DriveDx · SMARTReporter · smartmontools · Stellar Volume Repair · Disk Sensei.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1660 Super oc 6g
Mobo:MSI b450 tomahawk max

RAM: 32gb ddr4 lpx vengeance 3200mhz

Storage: WD sn550 1tb, Baracuda 2TB HDD (*In use), Hitachi 2tb HDD, WD 0.5tb HDD (both HDD knackered)

PSU: cxm 450

Case: Corsair Carbide Series

The amount of data that has been written to a drive is generally the type of info that is tracked through SMART, so any application designed to report that info should be able to tell you what you want to know.

Someone may be able to confirm this for me (or disprove it), but manufacturers generally write a few cycles worth of data onto a drive during QC to make sure everything works. This may or may not be logged in SMART.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case