Old setup

Criticalmeadow

I have a 20 year old desktop which runs windows Xp, I am not sure if I should sell it, take it apart, or throw it away. I am not sure if it is able to be upgraded at all. I am not sure if it would be a good decision to keep it, since it is very old technology but some old technology is valued so I am not sure. 

6D52CFD4-3EB7-45F1-9A9A-664ED6F575E5.jpeg

70ED72C2-757A-424D-94A0-4B8D51931C5F.jpeg

unfortunately mid 2000's desktops are so woefully underpowered and so ubiquitous that it is effectively landfill fodder.

that PC is unlikely to be faster than a $5 raspberry pi zero, while using 100x the power.

disclaimer: this may be hyperbole.

edit: to give you a bit more of a serious answer. that motherboard does not appear to support sata, it is unlikely that is supports even ddr3 ram. the cpu is unlikely to be 64 bit. The caps on the board will be very old, meaning imminent failure. it is likely that the motherboard only supports PCIE 1.0.

basically nothing is appealing on the computer itself. The only 'old' stuff that people are interested in is much older than that, and even then, its a pretty niche market.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

It's not really worth anything, but I'd suggest trying to find someone who would want to use it as a Windows XP gaming machine instead of recycling it. Plenty of people enjoy tinkering with this kind of early/mid 2000's hardware since it's easy to work on and parts are still readily available on the used market. 

32 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

edit: to give you a bit more of a serious answer. that motherboard does not appear to support sata, it is unlikely that is supports even ddr3 ram. the cpu is unlikely to be 64 bit. The caps on the board will be very old, meaning imminent failure. it is likely that the motherboard only supports PCIE 1.0.

This particular machine does support SATA (it has two SATA ports), but it only uses DDR RAM. It doesn't have any PCIe support though, since it has an AGP slot. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

You can always take it apart for the drives at least to mount into external drive enclosures.

Or you can turn it into either a NAS or a server, admittedly not necessarily good ones but the hardware is really all that's needed in either case.

At the very least see if Goodwill or a local charity is interested, so you can use the donation for this years taxes.

I almost forgot, you can always take it to your local E-Waste center.

If that system works, posts fine and still all the on board functions are intact, that’s a very desirable motherboard for a variety of use cases:

409342FB-842B-4000-874B-160524776C8D.thumb.png.e7754af30d24fa6aef2fd3213523c9e1.png

These are sold listings, not posted listings.

The reason being is that it fits a few niche hits for an old socket 478 era motherboard

1) has agp

2) four DDR slots not 2, and not ddr2

3) micro atx for compatibility with cheap cases

4) has sata ports

The big one there is that it’s 478 with sata, there’s not too many 478 boards with sata support as by the time sata was relevant on intel platforms, lga 775 had taken over. That was also around the time of pcie and ddr2. So having all these other core old features people like for a socket 478 board like agp, ddr1 and a floppy header but then also having sata for modern drives is desirable.

Boards worth selling if it works, it’s otherwise a good platform for a retro gaming pc if you’re into that, or you can sell it someone who would be interested in that. Sometimes just a board is more desirable than a whole era system as 99% of the time immediately people want to swap out most of the components except the board and case.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

If that system works, posts fine and still all the on board functions are intact, that’s a very desirable motherboard for a variety of use cases:

409342FB-842B-4000-874B-160524776C8D.thumb.png.e7754af30d24fa6aef2fd3213523c9e1.png

These are sold listings, not posted listings.

The reason being is that it fits a few niche hits for an old socket 478 era motherboard

1) has agp

2) four DDR slots not 2, and not ddr2

3) micro atx for compatibility with cheap cases

4) has sata ports

The big one there is that it’s 478 with sata, there’s not too many 478 boards with sata support as by the time sata was relevant on intel platforms, lga 775 had taken over. That was also around the time of pcie and ddr2. So having all these other core old features people like for a socket 478 board like agp, ddr1 and a floppy header but then also having sata for modern drives is desirable.

Boards worth selling if it works, it’s otherwise a good platform for a retro gaming pc if you’re into that, or you can sell it someone who would be interested in that. Sometimes just a board is more desirable than a whole era system as 99% of the time immediately people want to swap out most of the components except the board and case.

It works, I have been using it and it works pretty good. unfortunately, I cannot install furmark or other software to see its efficiency, due to being, as far as I know, stuck on windows xp OS.

3 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

basically nothing is appealing on the computer itself. The only 'old' stuff that people are interested in is much older than that, and even then, its a pretty niche market.

Pentium 4 was a 64-bit CPU on the LGA 478 socket, which supports DDR and DDR2 memory.

Some people are interested in XP-era hardware, it's just not nearly as vintage as some of the older stuff. There's an entire thread dedicated to hardware like that:

OP: ultimately the choice here is your own. If you want to hang onto it because it's a cool piece of old technology, go for it. If you want to sell it on Ebay, you can do that to. If you want to keep it around just to play Space Cadet Pinball, I would totally support that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Bit of a tangent, but a similar question: What do yall do with your old high end gear? I have everything from a fully watercooled skulltrail build (CPU, NB, SB, RAM) with dual GTX 295 H2Os, to a 3930k + bigbang 2 w/ 64GB of ram and quad 7970s (all also water cooled from MB to RAM) that I have moved on from and have 0 idea what to do with.

sucks for an xp build but 98 it be ok... other then that probably give it away.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

54 minutes ago, eskamobob1 said:

Bit of a tangent, but a similar question: What do yall do with your old high end gear? I have everything from a fully watercooled skulltrail build (CPU, NB, SB, RAM) with dual GTX 295 H2Os, to a 3930k + bigbang 2 w/ 64GB of ram and quad 7970s (all also water cooled from MB to RAM) that I have moved on from and have 0 idea what to do with.

Depends on the needs of the owner. Some people just hold onto their hold hardware for nostalgias sake, it’s fun to go back to from time to time.

But there’s also a lot of people out there who really appreciate old high end hardware like that and collect it, and if you’re not going to use it, people will pay a decent bit of money for cool old parts.

This doesn’t really apply to say, a pcie msi 6600 gt because there’s tons of those out there, old doesn’t always equal desirable to the people who like the old hardware. 
But stuff like that? If you’re talking one of those dual LGA 771 extreme edition motherboards, those are stupidly expensive. QX9770’s go for 2-300$ each on eBay, working gtx 295’s go for 100$+ depending on the variant, lots of stuff like that is worth big money. That MSI big bang x79 board you’re talking about is also 300$+ now.

Til there is even realy a market for this stuff anymore. Guess I'll look and see what I can get