Graphics card doesn't display after shutting down most times. EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition

Jack Rollins

For the past month, every time I shutdown my PC, it's a gamble to whether it will display anything after turning it back on. The computer turns on, fans are spinning and windows boots up, however the screen remains black. The reason I know windows boots up is that the HDD light flashes and sometimes when plugging my display port cable into my motherboard, it is booted up. With my old graphics card, this was not an issue so I know it isn't another component in my system.

I have tried many things such as updating GPU and motherboard BIOS, DDU, cleaning contacts and slot, trying a different slot on motherboard and turning off overclock on the graphics card. Sometimes it will boot up perfectly and did so for the few first months of owning the card, but suddenly one day this issue arose. Now I just leave my computer on all the time so I don't have to deal with the 20 minutes of troubleshooting to get it working again. The issue persists even if I just put the computer onto sleep.

My troubleshooting consists of taking the GPU out and plugging it back in, turning off all power for a while, clearing CMOS, repeatedly turning the PC on and off, the problem is, I haven't managed to troubleshoot which solution fixes it and allows for the graphics card to be used as the main display driver again, hence the term "gamble". Sometimes it's quick to fix and only requires turning the PC on and off, but sometimes it takes ages and requires an arsenal of techniques to get it working again. Obviously the card isn't make a perfect connection with the motherboard somehow because it wouldn't boot into integrated graphics otherwise, but I must reiterate, it doesn't always display windows when swapping the DP cable over.

Other than this, the graphics card works perfectly in games and everything else, no crashes what so ever, it has a Corsair H55 hooked up to it via a NZXT G12 so temperatures are always low. Considering the cost of electricity at the moment and the simple fact I don't want to waste it, I need a solution so I don't have to leave my computer on.

Please ask any questions that would give you insight on how to fix this. For the sake of the polar bears and my wallet I must resolve this.

Have you tried DDU and a full driver reinstall?

Possibly a windows issue but I would leave that as a last resort. (Resetting/reinstalling windows)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

It's a feature of the Black Edition, black screens had all around. 😄 har har har.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:16 PM, SignatureSigner said:

Have you tried DDU and a full driver reinstall?

Possibly a windows issue but I would leave that as a last resort. (Resetting/reinstalling windows)

Yep, have tried that, I've also tried taken out the drives to see if it's a windows issue and the issue still happens even if the drives are unplugged (I can't see this bios screen), surely this means it's an issue with the graphics card and not drivers, right?

On 1/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, Bad5ector said:

It's a feature of the Black Edition, black screens had all around. 😄 har har har.

At least the marketing don't lie 😂

On 1/4/2023 at 6:13 PM, Jack Rollins said:

With my old graphics card, this was not an issue so I know it isn't another component in my system

there could still be plenty of issues with other parts, which i why you're supposed to post full specs so people dont need to blind guess whats even going on. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/5/2023 at 6:11 PM, Mark Kaine said:

there could still be plenty of issues with other parts, which i why you're supposed to post full specs so people dont need to blind guess whats even going on. 

All my computer specs are listed on my profile.

Only a click away 😉

On 1/5/2023 at 6:05 PM, Blai5e said:

@Jack Rollins - try disabling "Fast Boot"

I will try this when I get back from a trip. Thank you for the recommendation. 

• 1 month later...

Hi have you managed to fix this and if you did what did you do? Been having this issue for a while and still haven’t been able to resolve it 

That is very offten bug with display port if you use UEFI BIOS and disabled CSM. Especially for this who use Windows 11 becosue by default it must run in UEFI not like Windows 10 and below run in legacy BIOS. Simple solution switch too HDMI but you will be limited if your GPU not have 2.1 and monitor version.