Cheap web hosting (UK, not got domain yet)

colonel_mortis

I am looking into getting a personal website, and will need hosting and a domain for it. Because it's a personal site I don't need a huge amount of performance, but I don't really want to pay very much. I'm based in the UK, so ideally it would be based there (although I guess alternative locations are ok).

I also need a domain name, and have decided on a .net domain. If anyone can suggest somewhere cheap to get one, it would be much appreciated. :D

HTTP/2 203

One.com does hosting and domainregistration. I use them for every website i make and the only problem i had was that the domainname i had to transfer from a host to one.com didn't go correct the first time but that is all fixed now! 

I really recommend them

Edit: Typo's

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I personally use TransIP, they might not be the absolute cheapest, but with hosting, you usually get what you pay for.

I personally use TransIP, they might not be the absolute cheapest, but with hosting, you usually get what you pay for.

WIth one.com you get 15GB, 20 email boxes, unlimited data traffic, and for the half of the price :P  

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

WIth one.com you get 15GB, 20 email boxes, unlimited data traffic, and for the half of the price :P

Yeah, but their support sucks big time, I had some customers that used them.

Yeah, but their support sucks big time, I had some customers that used them.

Yeah, that's true.. I had to transfer a domain name and they work with AuthenticationID and the previus host couldn't give that so i asked the IP adres to send the A-records to and they have me one and it was all good and fine but the FTP server doesn't work, and that statistics also don't work... But when i register a new domain i don't have any problem at all.

I have been using 1&1 for the past 4 years and havent had any issues with them at all. I think their cheepest hosting package is about £3 ish a month. Support normaly get back to me in about a day and their servers are uk based. I have used godaddy before but i allways had issues with them. Heart internet is expensive so i wouldent choose them at all.

• 1 month later...

I am looking into getting a personal website, and will need hosting and a domain for it. Because it's a personal site I don't need a huge amount of performance, but I don't really want to pay very much. I'm based in the UK, so ideally it would be based there (although I guess alternative locations are ok).

I also need a domain name, and have decided on a .net domain. If anyone can suggest somewhere cheap to get one, it would be much appreciated. :D

I would suggest you to visit 9CubeHosting.com  Here you can register your favorite domain name at low cost.They will provide some domain offers like Full WHOIS Control,A & MX Records Control,Domain Locking & EPP Key at the same you can get best web hosting here.Here they have six types of Linux based web hosting plans starts $2.63.Each hosting package offers advanced Web Hosting Control Panel (available in multiple languages), and is protected by a 99.9% uptime and a 30-day money-back guarantees.

Any hosting company would be about the same, its all stupidly locked down, with limits on everything you do and the support sucks at all of them exept wpengine and mediatemple I got pretty good support there but I guess the cost paid for all that. To base my claims I have had hosting at GoDaddy, 1&1, bluehost, one, ovh (vps and dedi), mediatemple, wpengine and a few more not all my own sites but sites I looked after for people. all of these had their own issues from lack of features to stupid support, contracts that are hard to get out of or just ridiculously expensive for what you get. Stay away from the very very large hosts as they do oversell so you will get horrible performance, I have had sites give over 5 second response times and for any site this is very annoying.

Lately I have a Digital Ocean box, I could get away with the cheapest $5 option but I have the $10 package. Yes this does take some know how to get it going (if you like playing it is a good option), yes it is not as easy, yes you will break it over and over, No its not as cheap as a $2 shared hosting package, No I would not go back.

As for domain name, go with someone like Namecheap or ghandi.net, I put all my domains in namecheap and it works quite well. you can set the records to point ot wherever you need to so you don't need to base your hosting on a registrar.

Basically I would say DigitalOcean or a very loose contract shared host.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I've used both dream-hosting.co.uk and rackburst.net. Definitely recommend both of them. Dream-hosting is your typical hosting package, whereas rackburst offer cheap VPSs if you want to setup the entire thing yourself. 

If you want to go down the VPS route, check out lowendbox.com first. Best place to check for any offers.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

If you want UK based have you looked at --> http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/ I uses these and can recommend them :)