Mint mobile get 6 months if you buy 3

New customers only. 

Mintmobile.com

Buy 3 months switching as a new customer and you get 3 months. 

Runs off t mobile towers. 

Unlimited data users using more than 35gb in a month will have their data throttled. Supposedly to as low to only be able to stream 480p or something. 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

New customers only. 

Mintmobile.com

Buy 3 months switching as a new customer and you get 3 months. 

Runs off t mobile towers. 

Unlimited data users using more than 35gb in a month will have their data throttled. Supposedly to as low to only be able to stream 480p or something. 

I got the 1 year thing from mint for $20/mo.  The hard bit is you have to pay it a year at a time, so it’s kind of a big lump.  It’s basically t-mobile but without all the additional fluff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I got the 1 year thing from mint for $20/mo.  The hard bit is you have to pay it a year at a time, so it’s kind of a big lump.  It’s basically t-mobile but without all the additional fluff.

How do you like mint mobile?

I looked up some reviews and it seems good. 

Supposedly they don't even cut you off if you go over your data limit. 

Not having to worry about the bill for a whole year seems pretty good to me. Especially with the low monthly cost relatively speaking. 

7 hours ago, fpo said:

Not having to worry about the bill for a whole year seems pretty good to me. Especially with the low monthly cost relatively speaking. 

I’ve got “unlimited” data which might be what you mean.  I generally use it if my wifi is acting up for some reason, but this did cause me to have it eventually become REALLY slow for a few days.  A lot better than being cut off though.  When I say it’s like t-mobile for me it really is.  In my area they use the t-mobile towers so the connection is basically the same.  What is different is t-mobile has all these extra features like hot spots and subsidized phone upgrades and stuff which you don’t get but they’re also things I generally don’t want so I’m happy to not pay for them.  I’ve used it without issue for some time.  I did have to use support once but that also went without issue.  For me it’s a terrific system.  I prefer to own my own phone, which is the biggest one I suspect, and I’m fine without hot-spots.  So for me it’s basically it’s a major win.  YMMV though. It’s a no-frills service with a no-frills price..  the connection quality literally is t-mobile.  Which is good or not enough depending on where you are.  For me it’s good.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/27/2022 at 11:39 PM, fpo said:

I've been using it for year and half now. Been really happy with it. Traveled quite a bit, had good service every where. You can do 3 months, 6 months or a year at a time, however the more you pay in advance the cheaper it is. So I pay the year in advance. There's three of us in the house using Mint now. Actually just switched the in laws over to it as well using that deal.

@Bombastinator I use my phone as a hotspot fairly regularly. All their (Mint's) plans include mobile hot spot.

13 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I've been using it for year and half now. Been really happy with it. Traveled quite a bit, had good service every where. You can do 3 months, 6 months or a year at a time, however the more you pay in advance the cheaper it is. So I pay the year in advance. There's three of us in the house using Mint now. Actually just switched the in laws over to it as well using that deal.

@Bombastinator I use my phone as a hotspot fairly regularly. All their (Mint's) plans include mobile hot spot.

Yeah, sprint has special sprint hotspots though which are wifi points that are free to use if you have sprint.  All the major brand carriers do it.  
I’m on I think year 3.  Before that I had that metered line one they used to advertise on LTT. That one would have been even cheaper, but maps ate insane amounts of data so it actually came out not so good.   If I could avoid using cellular data though it was suuuppper cheap.
I don’t travel much at all anymore.  Only once I think.  I went by freeway to a good sized town though so I wouldn’t expect any problems.  And there weren’t.  Did some price comparison recently.  Still cheapest where I am. 

Edited by Bombastinator

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah, sprint has special sprint hotspots though which are wifi points that are free to use if you have sprint.  All the major brand carriers do it.  
I’m on I think year 3.  Before that I had that metered line one they used to advertise on LTT. That one would have been even cheaper, but maps ate insane amounts of data so it actually came out not so good.   If I could avoid using cellular data though it was suuuppper cheap.
I don’t travel much at all anymore.  Only once I think.  I went by freeway to a good sized town though so I wouldn’t expect any problems.  And there weren’t.  Did some price comparison recently.  Still cheapest where I am. 

Oh, those hotspots. I was thinking, like tethering, creating your own hotspot to share data. 

Its nice now that Maps lets you download off line Maps. I just wish they would change the shape of the map. Perhaps it's me, but it seems Maps uses less data if my screen is off and it's just voicing directions? I should actually test that theory one of these days. We usually have multiple phones in the car.

5 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Oh, those hotspots. I was thinking, like tethering, creating your own hotspot to share data. 

Its nice now that Maps lets you download off line Maps. I just wish they would change the shape of the map. Perhaps it's me, but it seems Maps uses less data if my screen is off and it's just voicing directions? I should actually test that theory one of these days. We usually have multiple phones in the car.

I turned airplane mode on with my iPhone and Apple maps and it navigated the whole way cuz I didn't miss any turns and Apple maps didn't do one of those glitches where it thinks you took the wrong road but you took the right road...

Rare glitch more common in Google maps

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

No idea.  The difference between the metered deal on the better end and my current one is like $4/mo though it would still be useful to know.  Might become quite important.