How skrewed am I? (board damage)

Noticed this when putting the board in the case.

New board. Asrock z790 Steel Legend Wifi

Initially I thought I scratched it on a case riser, but it doesn't seem to be next to a screw hole.

last 2 pics are from stock images of how its supposed to look and what is on front

Video of spot

image of spot with no arrow

1.jpg

image of spot with arrow pointing issue

1b.jpg

stock image of board BACK

3.jpg

stock image of board FRONT

4.png

You would be suprised how durable these pcbs are, plus these traces are so far away from anything really important that i doubt anything terrible is going to wrong if at all. If that is how it arrived out of the box i would make sure it works first then return it if any issues.

Build it barebones out of the case test it looks like 2nd m.2 trace so i would test that slot as well

if thats a scratch i wouldn't use the board ie return it asap

picture resolution is pretty bad for me though... not sure if any traces are actually damaged,  I'd still return it

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

if thats a scratch i wouldn't use the board ie return it asap

picture resolution is pretty bad for me though... not sure if any traces are actually damaged,  I'd still return it

I'd have to agree, that looks too clean to me to be user damage, but then its a bit odd as I'd expect to be able to see the broken traces either way as it looks deep.

I've scratched PCBs before with craft knives and screwdrivers, its never that clean.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

59 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd have to agree, that looks too clean to me to be user damage, but then its a bit odd as I'd expect to be able to see the broken traces either way as it looks deep.

I've scratched PCBs before with craft knives and screwdrivers, its never that clean.

I just assumed it was a scratch, what else could it be

It does not look that bad...it's a surface scratch and don't seem to affect traces.

Specially if its z790 board which is multilayered.

But to make sure if you have OCD or that bothers you return asap.

I am suprised how did this pass inspection test at AsRock..but then again Steel Legend is lowest segment which is not a excuse.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

false alarm, seems it was a thin piece of tape that somehow managed to stick itself there, wasn't from anything I own, no idea where it is from and how it ended up there. I used my nail to gently remove it, there doesn't seem to be any damage underneath, now I'm more worried from any oils from my finger getting on the board... how r u supposed to clean it?

37 minutes ago, testgcd said:

false alarm, seems it was a thin piece of tape that somehow managed to stick itself there, wasn't from anything I own, no idea where it is from and how it ended up there. I used my nail to gently remove it, there doesn't seem to be any damage underneath, now I'm more worried from any oils from my finger getting on the board... how r u supposed to clean it?

You know I was going to say it looks more like something stuck to the board with it being so clean, but I assumed you could tell. 😉

As for cleaning, if you must then 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a paper towel or Q-tip.  Finger grease shouldn't get through the coating though, its only really potentially an issue if its exposed metal and particularly connectors where it could add resistance between what you plugged into it.  Honestly, I probably would have left it stuck on there as it would probably fall off over time anyway from heating cycles and wont do any damage.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7