Is my rx 580 dying?

samiur
Go to solution Solved by solonoobie,

i have no solution exactly but ive seen multiple cases of this and my rx 570 had this issue. it would make my screen look like a disco at random times with no pattern. im afraid the way i solved this was by getting a new gpu. i believe it comes down to a driver issue with the 500 series. i tried for a year to get it to fix but nothing worked. sorry this has happened and i hope it gets fixed by amd.

While playing skyrim heavily modded game my gpu was overheating (then i downclocked the gpu for stable temps) immediately upon reducing clocks to 1230/1830 mhz my monitor started showing pink black green small artifacting horizontal lines. Upon seeing it i hit restart all lines went away. Then i played skyrim for another hour no problem whatsoever. 

N.B : lines appeared only on windows. On bios screen,  everything was normal. My gpu is 2nd hand 1.5 years used. Never repasted nor cleaned nor oced.

So are such artifacts indicating a dying amd card?  Should i be worried???? 

i have no solution exactly but ive seen multiple cases of this and my rx 570 had this issue. it would make my screen look like a disco at random times with no pattern. im afraid the way i solved this was by getting a new gpu. i believe it comes down to a driver issue with the 500 series. i tried for a year to get it to fix but nothing worked. sorry this has happened and i hope it gets fixed by amd.

In theory most computer hardware die a quick, flashless, boring death. Rarely electronic hardware will limp along like mechanical things (cars etc...) where you can see the end coming from miles away or that something's off.

Card might be on its last legs if you can consistently reproduce the artifacts and confirm that it isn't a game specifc/driver issue, like I just had Plague's Tale have some weird artifact flash once but pretty sure it's just an isolated incident from the ten thousand rats on my screen at once + no other game had anything similar.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

If you have a spare drive try installing windows on it and see if the issue persists. You could just have a corrupted driver that needs to be replaced. 

For the overheating, you might want to consider repasting the GPU since it’s probably dried out at this point.