Canon rebel t7 can i use my kit lens and get good results

Guyg69
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

18-55 should do most 'basic' stuff.

3.5 - 5.5 will do just fine in a well lit environment.

no bokeh, nothing extraordinary. your phone probably will do a better job.

for beginner, i recommend you buy a 50mm 1.8 for a good portrait with good enough bokeh.

I have a rebel t7 and want to see if my kit lens is still good enough 

18-55 should do most 'basic' stuff.

3.5 - 5.5 will do just fine in a well lit environment.

for beginner, i recommend you buy a 50mm 1.8 for a good portrait with good enough bokeh.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I do have an fd mount 50mm 1.8 for film cameras would that perform similar i can get an adapter and i don't really use autofocus 

yeah, why not. portrait photos are mostly non moving, so no need for autofocus.

i mostly do manual focus, i can have more control where autofocus usually missed.

but for fast moving , like wedding snapshots, you really need autofocus, unless you have a fast hand.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You're not going to get National - Geographic level photos with a kit lens, but you can get very nice photos with any lens (as long as it's not garbage). Canon Kit lenses for the most part are Ok to start and you should get some decent results provided you practice and have good technique and creativity.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop it down to an F8 aperture and it's more than good enough.

you totally can use a kit lens to get good results. My favorite choice for interesting while fairly lenses has always been old film lenses
Heilos44 family has a number of different looks based on which flavor you buy and adapters are under 20$

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 7:24 AM, SupaKomputa said:

Your phone probably will do a better job.

But it won't, unless if your intention is Facebook or Instagram. No one at any point asks what he got the camera for. For example, if you intend to print, even small format, phone photos are often a disaster.

I often just take a Nikon kit lens in combination with a D3200 body while travelling, it's compact and gets the job done. Can still blow up the picture to a large canvas or metal print, the noise in most lighting scenarios is fine, etc. Basically, unless if you wish to take particular styles of artsy photos or photograph wild animals or at sports competitions, the kit lens is probably fine.

39 minutes ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

But it won't, unless if your intention is Facebook or Instagram.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:24 PM, SupaKomputa said:

read the context.

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

read the context.

I am reading the context, and I'm saying you're wrong when you say "no bokeh, nothing extraordinary. your phone probably will do a better job." I've had multiple relatives take statements like yours at face value from store clerks, only for them to then blame me for referring them to a crappy print shop when their printed photos look like garbage, or failing to understand why they refuse to print their pictures in large formats.

The only way a phone is a substitute for a DSLR or mirrorless, even an entry-level, is if you're using it as an old fashioned point and shoot camera and intend to view the pictures on a phone or tablet. A phone has a relatively small and noisy sensor unless if you're looking at flagship phones of $/€ 800 or more, and even then the DSLR will probably still have far better low light performance, nor will its images come with reconstruction and compression artefacts that you might find in a phone's output.

14 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

"no bokeh, nothing extraordinary. your phone probably will do a better job."

I suspect you don't know what i'm talking about.

18 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Nikon kit lens in combination with a D3200 body

aha...

6 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I suspect you don't know what i'm talking about.

And yet, you're the one claiming a phone is good enough, without asking them what they're planning to do.

6 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

aha...

Yes, let the arrogance flow against someone who doesn't purchase additional carry-on to be able to carry a full frame camera with them while travelling. 🤦‍♂️