packet loss to default gateway only on one pc at night

repofmady

have had packet loss issues whilst playing rocket league for a few months and decided it was to do with my ISP, however when running pingplotter on a different pc (on wifi) it was completely fine. i saw online to try pinging default gateway and i'm getting the same bad packet loss, however it only happens from 8/9pm, to 1/2am, and it's the exact same on both wired and wireless, one person i talked to says it might be a bad network card? appreciate any help thanks. i have tried installing drivers from msi's website and tried a vpn, same stuff

Wired and Wireless network cards are physically different and the chances of both being faulty are extremely slim. I would try first to update your drivers of the network cards from the Manufacture of the chip, NOT your motherboard vendors or Windows as those will likely be out of date. You can find out the exact model by right clicking on the start menu and going to Device Manager. Locate Network Adapters and right click on them and go to Properties then select Driver. In my case its an Intel I211 NIC, so I would search for the driver on Intels site and download that driver. Same for the WIFI driver.

image.png.31c117955927e72f63720ea777040584.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

27 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Wired and Wireless network cards are physically different and the chances of both being faulty are extremely slim. I would try first to update your drivers of the network cards from the Manufacture of the chip, NOT your motherboard vendors or Windows as those will likely be out of date. You can find out the exact model by right clicking on the start menu and going to Device Manager. Locate Network Adapters and right click on them and go to Properties then select Driver. In my case its an Intel I211 NIC, so I would search for the driver on Intels site and download that driver. Same for the WIFI driver.

image.png.31c117955927e72f63720ea777040584.png

hi there thank you for the quick response, i'm on realtek's website (https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software) but whenever i download the Win10 Auto Installation Program it says "Donwload link has sent to your email." (sic) but i never entered my email (i still checked but it wasn't there)

20 minutes ago, repofmady said:

hi there thank you for the quick response, i'm on realtek's website (https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software) but whenever i download the Win10 Auto Installation Program it says "Donwload link has sent to your email." (sic) but i never entered my email (i still checked but it wasn't there)

Can you give me a screenshot of your Device Manager drivers for your Wired card?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Can you give me a screenshot of your Device Manager drivers for your Wired card?

here you go

image.png

image.png

image.png

WIFI drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/94854/intel-dual-band-wirelessac-3168/downloads.html

Ethernet: https://www.realtek.com/en/directly-download?downloadid=4f276228768c92eef0b20229c2e35f2c (This will act like its not loading but it is, after about 20-30 seconds it will direct you to the link to actually download)

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

WIFI drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/94854/intel-dual-band-wirelessac-3168/downloads.html

Ethernet: https://www.realtek.com/en/directly-download?downloadid=4f276228768c92eef0b20229c2e35f2c (This will act like its not loading but it is, after about 20-30 seconds it will direct you to the link to actually download)

unfortunately that's the same link i was using before, after about a minute it comes up with this message, despite me never entering an email address on the site

image.png

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Sounds software related if it only happens on the one PC, and only during the night. 

Have you gone through your installed programs to see whats running? 

Tried disabling any sort of network traffic monitor or antivirus software? 

You dont have like a torrent program or something running which is scheduled after hours?  

When you're experiencing it you could open Resource Monitor, and see if any process is maxing out the network connection 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

that installed correctly thanks

42 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Sounds software related if it only happens on the one PC, and only during the night. 

You dont have like a torrent program or something running which is scheduled after hours?  

When you're experiencing it you could open Resource Monitor, and see if any process is maxing out the network connection 

looking at my programs list, the stuff that was installed near to when it started happening was: meta spark studio, python and cheat engine; i don't have antivirus or torrent, i will open resource monitor tomorrow and have a look

On 12/23/2022 at 1:10 AM, Jarsky said:

hi there, i recorded a video of pingplotter and resource monitor next to eachother, i don't really know what i'm looking for but here's the video 

30 minutes ago, repofmady said:

hi there, i recorded a video of pingplotter and resource monitor next to eachother, i don't really know what i'm looking for but here's the video 

Im at a loss as to what is causing that off the top of my head.

The fact its occuring on both interfaces tells me its either the system or the router. 

Do you have any other PCs? Have you tested on that to make sure it's not the router? 

Also is your Windows up to date (Update 21H2 or higher for Windows 10 / 11)?

EDIT: Also have you tried restarting the modem/router? If your router is processing a lot of NAT traffic, that could be causing high memory usage which could be affecting its performance. Older ISP consumer router devices typically used the same low budget boards with 1-2 CPU cores and 256MB ram which could get overwhelmed 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

10 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Im at a loss as to what is causing that off the top of my head.

The fact its occuring on both interfaces tells me its either the system or the router. 

Do you have any other PCs? Have you tested on that to make sure it's not the router? 

Also is your Windows up to date (Update 21H2 or higher for Windows 10 / 11)?

EDIT: Also have you tried restarting the modem/router? If your router is processing a lot of NAT traffic, that could be causing high memory usage which could be affecting its performance. Older ISP consumer router devices typically used the same low budget boards with 1-2 CPU cores and 256MB ram which could get overwhelmed 

on my original post i said that i ran pingplotter on another pc (which is on wifi) whilst my pc was having packet loss and that had 0 issues; i could try booting up my laptop i suppose but i don't think that's the issue

my windows is on 21H2

the router has been restarted multiple times since the issue began, it's a technicolor DGA4134NLK if that helps

2 hours ago, repofmady said:

on my original post i said that i ran pingplotter on another pc (which is on wifi) whilst my pc was having packet loss and that had 0 issues; i could try booting up my laptop i suppose but i don't think that's the issue

my windows is on 21H2

the router has been restarted multiple times since the issue began, it's a technicolor DGA4134NLK if that helps

You could try booting off a Linux Live USB, and run MTR and check you arent getting packet loss which would tell us its your Windows install. 

At that point it may be easier to reinstall than to troubleshoot further

Spoiler

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

You could try booting off a Linux Live USB, and run MTR and check you arent getting packet loss which would tell us its your Windows install. 

At that point it may be easier to reinstall than to troubleshoot further

is it possible you could give some instructions on how to do that? it vaguely means something to me but im not at all confident haha

3 minutes ago, repofmady said:

is it possible you could give some instructions on how to do that? it vaguely means something to me but im not at all confident haha

Ubuntu have a guide: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 12:05 AM, Jarsky said:

hi there it took a while but there was no packet loss on ubuntu and then i turned off and on again back into windows and there's packet loss, is there anything you think it could be? i don't want to reinstall

On 1/4/2023 at 11:47 PM, repofmady said:

hi there it took a while but there was no packet loss on ubuntu and then i turned off and on again back into windows and there's packet loss, is there anything you think it could be? i don't want to reinstall

Have you tried pinging something else?  If there is no packet loss to another IP then its probably just your routing behaving a bit oddly to ping traffic.  Why it would be one specific PC I do not know, it could perhaps be some sort of DDoS protection in the router?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

14 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you tried pinging something else?  If there is no packet loss to another IP then its probably just your routing behaving a bit oddly to ping traffic.  Why it would be one specific PC I do not know, it could perhaps be some sort of DDoS protection in the router?

packet loss has just started as i'm writing this pinging to a different address, tho i thought if i'm getting packet loss to 192.168.1.1 then i think it would do it to every address? as well as the original problem being packet loss to rocket league servers in multiple regions; i'm just stumped as it's only on this windows installation and it's from around 8:30pm to 00:30am starting at different times and is at random intervals (sometimes 10 seconds apart sometimes 10 minutes) and it starts and ends no matter what i'm doing on my pc