Impossible to find a keyboard that fits these requirements? (Looking for a mechanical keyboard)

Timmyfox

So I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard, I'm coming from an old Logitech G19.

I've been looking for ages and can't find a single keyboard that fits my needs...

Worth mentioning, I want it for typing rather than gaming.

What I want:

• Tactile feel (EDIT: After my visit at the local shop I'm settled for the blues!)
  • Blue backlight, preferably multicolor (my current Logitech keyboard lets you choose just about any color you want inside their software) but if it's only a single color LED, then I want it blue.
  • Solid build quality, I want it to last for ages. I'd prefer it not be a cheap glossy plastic feeling.
  • Plug and play; If it has any special software features like customizable backlighting (color, brightness, custom patterns etc..), macro keys, etc,, I want this to be built directly into the keyboard. I don't mind using a program to customize it, but I just don't want anything that needs a software to run in the background at all times to function. (This Logitech G19 needs to have the Logitech software running in the background at all times for the keyboard to function as without it, such as when the PC is booting, the backlight reverts "white" and macro keys are disabled).
    • Macro keys are not necessary, I couldn't care less if it has them or not.
  • Simple and elegant design. I don't want anything that looks very fancy. Furthermore the color should preferably be black or dark gray, although I could consider a metal-colored one if it uses something like an aluminum body.

• Media keys, including volume control and a mute key. Preferably dedicated ones although an FN-key design ain't a dealbreaker

• "Full size", as in, I don't want a keyboard lacking the numpad.

Note that I live in Sweden and due to having a different keyboard layout than US/UK, importing is out of the question - I'll simply check with the local retailers for availability and pricing.

Keyboards I've considered:

• Corsair K70: love the design, metal construction and the way the keys are raised, if nothing else I might look further into this one. Unfortunately it's only available with red switches and only the silver version has blue backlighting.
  • Ducky Shine2: This sure has excellent reviews and seems like a solid keyboard and is the only one I've found that fits my every criteria. However, the price is very premium and availability is really lacking. The closest model I've found locally that actually is in stock is the model with blue switches and blue LED's. Although I really don't like the white keycaps :/

Keyboards to look into (thanks for the suggestions!)

• CM Storm Quickire TK (Blue version)
  • Qpad MK-85

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

with keyboards you get what you pay for and i was looking for a similar keyboard and everyone said the shine 2 so thats what im getting also i asked slick and he said to get that so ya :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Indeed, but as said, the availability where I'm at is what prevents me from getting it. As said, the only model I've found that would fit my criteria close enough has the white keycaps which I really don't like.

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Indeed, but as said, the availability where I'm at is what prevents me from getting it. As said, the only model I've found that would fit my criteria close enough has the white keycaps which I really don't like.

oh sorry

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Look up the CM storm quick fire tk with cherry blue switches.

Hmm, this one looks real nice, I'll add it to my list. Is it only the blue switch model that has blue backlight?

Yes blue switches have blue back light only. You want a good clicky swith then blue is it. I have that keyboard and I love it.

As said in OP I gave the browns the edge over the blue switches as they as they are seemingly a tad quieter. I'll compare it at the store asap as mentioned in OP though and decide by then if blue's are too loud for my taste,

Question is, have you tried Blue switches? It's clicky and isn't for everyone, brown would be a good compromise between non-tactile Red (feels like a membrane with no 'bump') and Blue (you will feel a slight 'bump' when the key you depress actuates). Browns lack the 'click' of Blues, but has that tactile feel when the key actuates. I have three Reds, a Blue and a Black.....my favorite is Red, but Blue is great for typing and I tend to make less mistakes with them than Red which is a tad sensitive. Red is awesome for gaming, much like how membrane is great for gaming. Blacks, I'm just trying a Black which I'd gotten yesterday, is somehow more accurate......I've been playing UT3 with it (I always use UT3 as a test game for FPS responsiveness and accuracy) and I find myself hitting my targets with greater ease and accuracy. But it is still too early to tell. I did try UT3 with the CM Storm Quick Fire TK Blue I have and, yes, it is also pretty good for gaming.....but Red and Black somehow feels easier to game with.

I'd suggest you actually try out the various switches before deciding, Blue is awesome for typing......hell, I'm typing this message with my QF TK and have yet to make a typo. For me, Red and Black are great for gaming, I intend to get a quality brown switch KB from Ducky or Filco......prolly Filco since I already have two Ducky.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Question is, have you tried Blue switches? It's clicky and isn't for everyone, brown would be a good compromise between non-tactile Red (feels like a membrane with no 'bump') and Blue (you will feel a slight 'bump' when the key you depress actuates). Browns lack the 'click' of Blues, but has that tactile feel when the key actuates. I have three Reds, a Blue and a Black.....my favorite is Red, but Blue is great for typing and I tend to make less mistakes with them than Red which is a tad sensitive. Red is awesome for gaming, much like how membrane is great for gaming. Blacks, I'm just trying a Black which I'd gotten yesterday, is somehow more accurate......I've been playing UT3 with it (I always use UT3 as a test game for FPS responsiveness and accuracy) and I find myself hitting my targets with greater ease and accuracy. But it is still too early to tell. I did try UT3 with the CM Storm Quick Fire TK Blue I have and, yes, it is also pretty good for gaming.....but Red and Black somehow feels easier to game with.

I'd suggest you actually try out the various switches before deciding, Blue is awesome for typing......hell, I'm typing this message with my QF TK and have yet to make a typo. For me, Red and Black are great for gaming, I intend to get a quality brown switch KB from Ducky or Filco......prolly Filco since I already have two Ducky.

As mentioned in the post above, I'm going to the store as soon as I have time and try out different models with different switches. Browns would probably be my main contender as blues might be too loud for my taste. But I'll compare them at the store and go from there.

Also as mentioned in OP it'll mainly be using it for typing and very little for gaming. "Gaming switches" (red and black) are thus not as attractive to me due to wanting a more tactile feel.

Ducky and Filco sure gets praise from everyone using their keyboards I've seen. Shame Filco's lack backlighting (at least I haven't found any ones locally that have it) and Ducky's are out of stock pretty much everywhere I look...

Ducky and Filco sure gets praise from everyone using their keyboards I've seen. Shame Filco's lack backlighting (at least I haven't found any ones locally that have it) and Ducky's are out of stock pretty much everywhere I look...

Yep, Filco seems to be the more 'serious' KB w/o the bells and whistles and bling bling of other mech KB makers. I guess that's one of the appeal of Filco, that no nonsense approach to KBs. That's one of the reasons why I intend to finish my mech KB buying spree with a Filco.....with Cherry Brown switch of course.  Anyway, I'm also in love with the bling bling of some mech KBs, I'd gotten this limited run Ducky Shine II 78 Version (7 different LED colors, 8 different switch types), and it looks awesome all lit up...

20130416_154050_zpsf801f315.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

http://www.qpad.com/products/keyboards/mk-80/

This is the closest i can get you other than a Ducky Shine 2 with the specifications you listed.

The mk-85 supports nKRO over USB but it's red backlit and uses red switches, just a heads up.

With the MK-85 you can choose between you switches, but they all have a red backlight. I was considering buying a MK-80, but I went with a Ducky Shine II.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

http://www.maxfps.se/product_view.aspx?productid=5125

Might be a good option but just make sure everything is allright before you order

Out of stock and no ETA on when it might come back in stock.

This is the closest i can get you other than a Ducky Shine 2 with the specifications you listed.

The mk-85 supports nKRO over USB but it's red backlit and uses red switches, just a heads up.

Looking like pretty solid keyboard, although considering the price and excessive branding (the fact that is has the Qpad logo and the word "gaming" written all over it) I may just give the Quickfire TK the egde. I'll put it into consideration, however.

As for nkro, I couldn't really care less as I'll be using it mainly for typing and minimal gaming (because who needs games when you have Photoshop!).

or

http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-peripherals/gaming-keyboards/vengeance-k90-performance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

or wait for the K95 to come out

or Ducky Shine for blue LED's Really

The New logitech G710+ I think has a white back-light and Cherry Brown switches if I remember correctly?!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Sounds like someone needs to get in to the mech keyboard modding world. :)

or

http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-peripherals/gaming-keyboards/vengeance-k90-performance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

or wait for the K95 to come out

or Ducky Shine for blue LED's Really

The New logitech G710+ I think has a white back-light and Cherry Brown switches if I remember correctly?!

You read the OP and skimmed through the thread?

- The post above you I've already has my initial impressions on the Qpad

- K90/K95 is a great looking board for sure, as mentioned in the OP, although K70 is to me the more attractive model. However they both use red switches which makes them less attractive as I want a tactile switch as opposed to a linear one (brown, blue or clear).

Sounds like someone needs to get in to the mech keyboard modding world. :)

Do tell me more.

Out of stock and no ETA on when it might come back in stock.

Looking like pretty solid keyboard, although considering the price and excessive branding (the fact that is has the Qpad logo and the word "gaming" written all over it) I may just give the Quickfire TK the egde. I'll put it into consideration, however.

As for nkro, I couldn't really care less as I'll be using it mainly for typing and minimal gaming (because who needs games when you have Photoshop!).

I was going to suggest the QPad MK-80 but I see you ain't that mad on it. It does tick all of your boxes though. Blue backlight, brown switches, full sized keyboard. The branding doesn't go that overboard, especially if you don't get the wrist rest (wasn't in your spec). The price is a little high alright at €150 delivered but you are going to find it difficult to find your exact spec at a low price. Brown switches seem to be less common than red and blue so that will make it extra hard.

Also you do realise that the Quickfire TK isn't a full sized keyboard. It doesn't have dedicated arrows, home, end, delete pgup, pgdn etc. Not sure if that is an issue for you but just something to be aware of.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

So I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard, I'm coming from an old Logitech G19.

I've been looking for ages and can't find a single keyboard that fits my needs...

What I want:

• Tactile feel (MX Brown seems to be the best option based of simple research. I am yet to actually head to the store and actually compare, though. Will do so asap!)
  • Blue backlight, preferably multicolor (my current Logitech keyboard lets you choose just about any color you want inside their software) but if it's only a single color LED, then I want it blue.
  • Solid build quality, I want it to last for ages. I'd prefer it not be a cheap glossy plastic feeling.
  • Plug and play; If it has any special software features like customizable backlighting (color, brightness, custom patterns etc..), macro keys, etc,, I want this to be built directly into the keyboard. I don't mind using a program to customize it, but I just don't want anything that needs a software to run in the background at all times to function. (This Logitech G19 needs to have the Logitech software running in the background at all times for the keyboard to function as without it, such as when the PC is booting, the backlight reverts "white" and macro keys are disabled).
  • Simple and elegant design. I don't want anything that looks very fancy. Furthermore the color should preferably be black or dark gray, although I could consider a metal-colored one if it uses something like an aluminum body.

• Media keys, including volume control and a mute key. Preferably dedicated ones although an FN-key design ain't a dealbreaker

Note that I live in Sweden and due to having a different keyboard layout than US/UK, importing is out of the question - I'll simply check with the local retailers for availability and pricing.

• Corsair K70: love the design, metal construction and the way the keys are raised, if nothing else I might look further into this one. Unfortunately it's only available with red switches and only the silver version has blue backlighting.
  • Ducky Shine2: This sure has excellent reviews and seems like a solid keyboard and is the only one I've found that fits my every criteria. However, the price is very premium and availability is really lacking. The closest model I've found locally that actually is in stock is the model with blue switches and blue LED's. Although I really don't like the white keycaps :/

• Qpad MK-85

• For a tactile feel, you have several choices, including Cherry MX blues, browns, clears, and greens. Blues and browns will be the easiest to find, though I believe Deck manufactures keyboards with Cherry MX clears and Cooler Master recently released one with Cherry MX greens.
  • You're not going to find a mechanical keyboard backlit with RGB LEDs. You're going to have to choose. One option is to go with blue backlighting as you've already suggested. Another is to get a custom Max Keyboard Nighthawk. Max Keyboard allows for total customization of LEDs, switches, keycaps, and bezels (at a price). If you're going for all blue backlighting, you can take a look at Ducky, Max Keyboard, Deck, or one of the more mainstream gaming peripheral companies' offerings, such as Gigabyte's Aivia Osmium or a Cooler Master.
  • If you wish to avoid a glossy finish, steer clear of Das Keyboard, the Logitech G710+, and the original (non-2013 edition) Razer BlackWidow. Two mechanical keyboards that are often said to be "built like a tank" are the Mionix Zibal 60 and the SteelSeries 7G.
  • Plug and play is definitely the way to go. Avoid more mainstream products like those of Razer and Corsair if this is a concern. They tend to come with some kind of bloated software and, in the case of Razer, I've found many features completely inaccessible without installing said software.
  • For a simple, minimalist, no-nonsense design, I suggest Ducky.
  • Overall, the Ducky Shine II sounds like the best fit for your needs. If you are looking at the Qpad, also look at the Max Keyboard Nighthawk since it's almost the same keyboard.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I know that you don't want a tenkeyless keyboard, but I think it's the best route. Also, you said that you don't want anything fancy, yet you want at least a blue backlight?  :wacko:

What I want:

• Tactile feel (MX Brown seems to be the best option based of simple research. I am yet to actually head to the store and actually compare, though. Will do so asap!)

• Qpad MK-85

Didn't fully read your topic, but what's your opinion on the Logitech G510?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

You read the OP and skimmed through the thread?

- The post above you I've already has my initial impressions on the Qpad

- K90/K95 is a great looking board for sure, as mentioned in the OP, although K70 is to me the more attractive model. However they both use red switches which makes them less attractive as I want a tactile switch as opposed to a linear one (brown, blue or clear).

Do tell me more.

Yeah sorry about that, I'm pretty terrible at reading through things... :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Cherry MX Blues are highly regarded as being more tactile than Browns. I can vouch for that.

Are you sure you'll want a backlight at all? I did initially before I purchased my Blackwidow Ultimate, but it turned out to be annoying to have on, and looked a tad childish.

Soft touch sounds like the best route, it doesn't show finger prints as easily as glossy plastic either.

I know that Razer's keyboards don't require software to be running, not sure about the others.

Is it really necessary? I never found myself (or anyone for that matter) using these keys. Also, I found that tenkeyless keyboards are much more comfortable to use than their standard counterparts since the mouse doesn't need to be positioned as awkwardly. Plus they're generally less expensive, look at the Blackwidow Tournament Edition.