Why do people say Toshiba hard drives are bad?

Lawin
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Reliability and HDDs are not words that should be used together. If your data is important, always follow the 3 2 1 principle.

Keep 3 copies of your data.

Keep 2 copies at different locations.

Keep 1 copy at an offsite location.

I have the Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB hard drive and I have important files, is it true what they say about Toshiba hard drives?

Is Toshiba Canvio Basics reliable?

Reliability and HDDs are not words that should be used together. If your data is important, always follow the 3 2 1 principle.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Do they? I've not heard people say they're bad. Toshiba are no more or less reliable than any of the other major drive manufacturers.

You hear it about Seagate, but that's based on some seriously flawed "reliability" data that was released quite a long time ago.

EDIT: Though if you have important files, you should be backing them up. Ideally keeping copies in physically different locations

Toshiba is a reputable manufacturers, and their drives are sufficiently reliable to be sold by the truckload. I myself have a 3TB toshiba HDD in my system and have not had any issues in the 5 years I've owned the thing.

But that's beside the point: even the most reliable drives on the planets should not be relied on. As long as you don't have a proper backup solution, any and all files stored on your computer are on loan to murphy's law. A drive could fail on you. Ransomware could encrypt your files. You might drop or otherwise damage your drive. Heck, your house could burn down or your PC could be stolen.

You need to have proper backup (ideally both onsite and offsite) if you want to ensure you get to keep those files.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Ive had Toshiba HDDs for a while and no issues. I've never heard anyone say they're bad but they're not a popular brand of choice these days. I originally used them because they were supposedly rebranded HGST/Hitachi or something I dont quite remember, their history is confusing.

44 minutes ago, Levent said:

reliability in the sense of 'I don't want to lose my data' sure. reliability in the sense of a cost benefit analysis on the rate of replacement on a 25 drive server is different.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

I had a Hitachi drive which I think was Toshiba, it was fine till it died. Same with my seagate, same with my WD. The hitachi lived longer (about 7 years) , but that was random luck really. Back your data up like previously mentioned, as you never know with them. Or, get an SSD and still back it up.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

2 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

reliability in the sense of 'I don't want to lose my data' sure. reliability in the sense of a cost benefit analysis on the rate of replacement on a 25 drive server is different.

Sure, if you add redundancy, you obviously increase your chances of survival.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

@LeventI guess I just meant, if you are going into with the assumption that your drive WILL fail at some point, the question shifts to how long can I reasonably assume this (or this batch of) drive(s) will last. Of course, in practice MTBF ratings don't mean much for single drive systems.

Even not considering the redundancy aspect (or assuming it is handled in some way), reliability is still a concern from a pure economic viewpoint and as a singular unit of the system. How long / often will this system be down (and how much will that cost in either personal or commercial value) and how much will I have to spend on replacement drives over a given time period. In large enterprise and data center use cases this can come up to monthly replacement costs.

All that said, I understand that OPs position doesn't fall into that category really.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

18 hours ago, Murasaki said:

I originally used them because they were supposedly rebranded HGST/Hitachi or something I dont quite remember, their history is confusing.

HGST was founded by a merger of Toshiba  Hitachi and IBM's hard drive divisions. Western Digital bought the company and intellectual property about 10 years ago, but Toshiba bought some of their factories.

Most of the other historic hard drive brands you've heard of (Quantum, Maxtor, Samsung, etc) wound up under Seagate.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/visualized/infographic-hard-drive-manufacturer-genealogy/

Edited by Needfuldoer
I oopsed

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

HGST was founded by a merger of Toshiba and IBM's hard drive divisions. Western Digital bought the company and intellectual property about 10 years ago, but Toshiba bought some of their factories.

Most of the other historic hard drive brands you've heard of (Quantum, Maxtor, Samsung, etc) wound up under Seagate.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/visualized/infographic-hard-drive-manufacturer-genealogy/

That clears a lot of things up. I've searched on the topic before but couldn't piece it all together,  thanks for the info!

toshiba and hitachi are the best drives in my experience.  i avoid seagate like the plague though,  but WD seems kinda ok, but i have no experience with reliability of that brand. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity