Pc Powering off (like I've lost power) Pt2

InvaderIMD

Re: Attached video

I've posted this issue in the past with not much interaction. Seeing that it is more confusing that it first and may not have one thing causing it.

I've tried as many things to find out why this is happening.

I've just received my Cpu, motherboard, Ram, and power supply back from a PCCG warranty claim they could not find anything Wrong.

They stated the video looked most like a short. How do i find this.

My last post with all pc info and steps before this. 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1451004-pc-powering-off-like-ive-lost-power/

I’m seeing a date on that post of august, and it wasn’t replied to.  That video is apparently a still pic.  Nothing moves. I’m seeing what looks like an H1 prebuilt.

Standard shutdown causes are case heat, memory errors or power problems.  The last one is the most likely but it’s also the most expensive to even diagnose, and the other two are free to diagnose so generally they get checked first.  For case heat you just watch your temp readings with the system under load over a period of time and see if they get high.  For memtest86, you set the thing to do several full runs and then go to bed (they take a long boring while.  Little reason to be awake for it) the PSU one is really hard.  It takes special equipment and quite often the only way to do it is to either do a PSU swap and see if the problem goes away, or RMA the thing if it’s still under warranty.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m seeing a date on that post of august. That video is apparently a still pic.  Nothing moves.  Standard shutdown causes are case heat, memory errors or power problems.  The last one is the most likely but it’s also the most expensive to even diagnose, and the other two are free to diagnose so generally they get checked first.  For case heat you just watch your temp readings with the system under load over a period of time and see if they get high.  For memtest86, you set the thing to do several full runs and then go to bed (they take a long boring while.  Little reason to be awake for it) the PSU one is really hard.  It takes special equipment and quite often the only way to do it is to either do a PSU swap and see if the problem goes away, or RMA the thing if it’s still under warranty.

Thanks for your reply. As for what you said.

The PSU was taken back via Warranty with no problems. So sent back to me and received today. 

As for heat this pc never got to post, never got to the stage of heating up at all.

20 minutes ago, InvaderIMD said:

Thanks for your reply. As for what you said.

The PSU was taken back via Warranty with no problems. So sent back to me and received today. 

As for heat this pc never got to post, never got to the stage of heating up at all.

So all 3 things have been checked and it’s not any of them..  hmmm.. got a hard drive that’s really full?  That’s a really old one but I suppose it could still cause problems.   Is that a prebuilt btw? If it is and the warranty is still good you could just send the whole thing in, describe the problem in a note, and make them fix it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So all 3 things have been checked and it’s not any of them..  hmmm.. got a hard drive that’s really full?  That’s a really old one but I suppose it could still cause problems.   Is that a prebuilt btw? If it is and the warranty is still good you could just send the whole thing in, describe the problem in a note, and make them fix it.

The only storage is an M.2 that I've tried in both slots and a old ssd with win 10 no difference. 

Not a pre-built. Case Is a phanteks Enthoo Evolve Shift 2. Fully custom all components where bought in 2021 so still in warranty but all was sent back outher than M.2 and case. 

24 minutes ago, InvaderIMD said:

The only storage is an M.2 that I've tried in both slots and a old ssd with win 10 no difference. 

Not a pre-built. Case Is a phanteks Enthoo Evolve Shift 2. Fully custom all components where bought in 2021 so still in warranty but all was sent back outher than M.2 and case. 

Yeah.  Then It’s a whitebox not a prebuilt. You are the system agrigator.  A reason people buy pre-builts.  You can activate the someone-else’s-problem field. 

So big guns.  How do you feel about a clean install?

40 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  Then It’s a whitebox not a prebuilt. You are the system agrigator.  A reason people buy pre-builts.  You can activate the someone-else’s-problem field. 

So big guns.  How do you feel about a clean install?

Sure clean install would be nice l.... If the pc even turned on.

And more fun building a pc.

I have found out that the pc powers up when the CPU power is disconnected.

I've gotten my pc working with a spare cpu and motherboard. So now im guessing i need new ones of those...yay.

Still doesn't explain why PCCG(the place i bought the components from) didn't find fult. Grr.