Fans Too Loud

JordanTrace

Just got my new pc put together by micro center. Everything seemed to run fine. Installing steam, games. etc. Then today I could audibly hear the fans. Even though previously they were silent. Went into bios. PCH_Fan setting was over 6000. Set everything to silent and still the problem persists. Help?

Bios Pic.jpg

Bios Pic 2.jpg

If a fan is spinning it isn’t silent.  It’s quiet.  So quiet it may not be audible but not silent.  All that button does is load a pre-baked fan curve.(I’m assuming you’re setting fan curves in bios and that is your bios I’m looking at.  Looks like you have a bunch of fans on that thing.  Pch fan implies you’ve got an x570 motherboard. What is the pch temp? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

55 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If a fan is spinning it isn’t silent.  It’s quiet.  So quiet it may not be audible but not silent.  All that button does is load a pre-baked fan curve.(I’m assuming you’re setting fan curves in bios and that is your bios I’m looking at.  Looks like you have a bunch of fans on that thing.  Pch fan implies you’ve got an x570 motherboard. What is the pch temp? 

I didnt check the temps.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

And I do have an X570 board, this one specifically https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

This sound is almost certainly fan bearings. What fans have they put in your case?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

12 hours ago, JordanTrace said:

I didnt check the temps.

That may matter.  You may also want to compare the temp of your general mobo to the pcb A broken temp sensor (which is a motherboard RMA) will so ridiculous temps, but the pch on x570 is supposed to barely need a fan which only occasionally runs, so something is wrong somewhere.  If you’ve got generally high case temps you’ve got a cooling problem. If you don’t though a motherboard RMA is likely in the cards.  If that is the case the particulars of your warranty may matter a lot.   If it’s out of warranty for both the pace you bought it and the manufacturer you may want to weigh the cost of repair with buying a new board.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, JordanTrace said:

And I do have an X570 board, this one specifically https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Yeah. X570 is the only thing in a long time that has a motherboard fan.  Iirc there’s only one x570 that doesn’t and it was a pretty high end board.  This basically pushed me to not even looking at x570 boards because I’ve had such bad experiences with motherboard fans In general.

4 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

This sound is almost certainly fan bearings. What fans have they put in your case?

The problem sounds like  its either one of the of the default ones at the top or the cpu one. Teres also two Be Quiet ones on the side. I have the cooler master 200p and the cpu cooler is the Noctua NH-U9S. Heres a pic of the side with the panel off.

Fans Pics.jpg

44 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah. X570 is the only thing in a long time that has a motherboard fan.  Iirc there’s only one x570 that doesn’t and it was a pretty high end board.  This basically pushed me to not even looking at x570 boards because I’ve had such bad experiences with motherboard fans In general.

What board was it?

59 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That may matter.  You may also want to compare the temp of your general mobo to the pcb A broken temp sensor (which is a motherboard RMA) will so ridiculous temps, but the pch on x570 is supposed to barely need a fan which only occasionally runs, so something is wrong somewhere.  If you’ve got generally high case temps you’ve got a cooling problem. If you don’t though a motherboard RMA is likely in the cards.  If that is the case the particulars of your warranty may matter a lot.   If it’s out of warranty for both the pace you bought it and the manufacturer you may want to weigh the cost of repair with buying a new board.

According to bios, cpu temp is 44c and system temp is 36c. Cpu fan 1300 rpm, Sys_fan1 at a little over 800. 

4 minutes ago, JordanTrace said:

According to bios, cpu temp is 44c and system temp is 36c. Cpu fan 1300 rpm, Sys_fan1 at a little over 800. 

And thats in the normal profile btw

Unplug the fans one by one to find the culprit. But if i was you, i would take the whole system back to the shop so they can hear it for themselves and couldn't say it's something that you have done.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

45 minutes ago, JordanTrace said:

So not a case heat issue

1 hour ago, JordanTrace said:

What board was it?

Can’t remember.  It had a big long heat pipe and some fins instead.  It was well and away out of my budget though.  B550 doesn’t have a fan and sometimes has internal thunderbolt though, so I just looked at only those.  With dual GPUs not being a thing anymore and x570 often not actually being able to do pcie4 all the way down on the cheaper ones I got the impression that any x570 board under $300 should probably be a b550 board.  This was a while ago though.  Like pre zen3.  Stuff may have changed.

I helped a woman I knew pick out a motherboard for a 3900 machine.  She was looking at $250-300 stuff.  One could get a board with a better pcb (more layers) a tb3 port, and just as much functionality otherwise for slightly less money.   The top of the b550 range is the bottom of the x570 range and b550 is newer than x570

The x570 she had originally picked out was just lower quality than the b550 and while it would take a thunderbot card (takes more than pcie, you also have to have a jsomethingorother connector and then you usually have to buy the card your motherboard was built to use which only sold by the manufacturer. The b550 had the connector, but it also just had a port on the back.  B550 in someways isn’t as good as x570, but it’s also like 1/2 a generation newer.  Or at least it was then.  Other stuff may have come out that changes the equation.

maybe this will help...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 12/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, QuantumSingularity said:

It apparently includes the pch fan which is a proprietary size and attached to the motherboard.