New build major stuttering on desktop (and everywhere else)

soporificgaur

Hi!

I built a new desktop a few weeks ago and now it's started (I think, I can't pinpoint when it started but I noticed it today) stuttering a lot. It stutters in all contexts (game, desktop), at uneven intervals (on the order of one second between stutters).

Specs:

• i5-13600K
  • ASRock 790M-ITX WiFi BIOS 3.04 (also tried 2.04 and 1.21)
  • 32 GB Teamgroup 5200 MHz DDR5
  • EVGA 3070-Ti
  • Deepcool 750W
  • Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB
  • Windows 11 Pro

Here's data collected from testufo.com with regards to frame times. Visible are the 100 ms peaks.

image.thumb.png.dda2cd7ea62920efccab97cc88c49287.png

Things to note:

• No components are running anywhere close to any thermal or clock limits
  • Storage is not full
  • All components are showing up and apparently configured acceptably
  • Task manager does not show any major anomalies

Troubleshooting steps I've attempted (not necessarily this order, and I have no idea which of these were reasonable steps for this problem):

• I first noticed this issue when attempting to increase RAM clocks, so I first removed all overclocking from the BIOS, then reset the BIOS entirely
  • Disabled all non-Microsoft services via System Configuration and restarted
  • Replaced the EVGA 3070 Ti with an ASUS 3070
  • Updated drivers & Windows (ran ASRock auto driver update as well as GeForce experience)
  • Tried swapping HDMI cables and a different computer on the same monitor
  • Inspected PCI-E port for obvious damage
  • Followed this post and attempted both resetting my page file to auto and turning it off altogether
  • Started in safe mode with networking (same test result & stuttering)
Edited by soporificgaur

29 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

there have been two bios releases since 1.21.  try the first one first.  if that doesn't help try the beta

I've now tried both, currently on 3.04 with no change to stuttering issue

Tjmax are not the temps you should be running your components at, but the max temps before components melt down.

First thing is set your fans to 100% at 60C, in Bios also, if you're still burning above 75C on 60% use, get better coolers.

Keep XMP stock, don't OC, manual CAS gets you 0 gains, set CAS to Auto. Also unknown RAM MFG. & Cheap PSU.

You'd gain more by running stock clocks on CPU too, but it's a *snicker* Eco CPU, like all new gen. intels, not built for gaming...

Go through Bios first and remove all the "green" economy features.

No Pagefile is good for gaming, there is no game on the market, simulators excepted, that do not fit within 28gb of Ram. Won't trash your SSD/NVME either.

What you are trying to mitigate is PC latency and to that effect, you'd need a latency tester/monitor software, first.

Also Windows 11 is in Beta mode too, you're the experimental lab rat. Turn off Auto updates.

Also has an Intel UHD Graphics 770, disable that in BIOS, windows will try to activate it to save you power. (Microsoft since 2014)

Tjmax are not the temps you should be running your components at, but the max temps before components melt down.

And my components are in the 40C range when this stuttering occurs (or like 60 when gaming). Again, no thermal or clock limits are being reached.

First thing is set your fans to 100% at 60C, in Bios also, if you're still burning above 75C on 60% use, get better coolers.

Again, no thermal issues.

Keep XMP stock, don't OC, manual CAS gets you 0 gains, set CAS to Auto. Also unknown RAM MFG. & Cheap PSU.

My BIOS is currently completely default.

You'd gain more by running stock clocks on CPU too, but it's a *snicker* Eco CPU, like all new gen. intels, not built for gaming...

My BIOS is currently default. I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude, but is there any attempt to be helpful here? You clearly didn't read anything that I wrote.

Go through Bios first and remove all the "green" economy features.

As in no power saving? I can try that but I hesitate to spend the time on it given the complete lack of relevance of everything else that was said.

No Pagefile is good for gaming, there is no game on the market, simulators excepted, that do not fit within 28gb of Ram. Won't trash your SSD/NVME either.

No pagefile was a potential troubleshooting tip for the massive stutter I'm experiencing. I'm not trying to improve my gaming experience here, just to achieve a working setup.

Did you ran memtest?

https://www.memtest86.com/

Another test would be to use only 1 stick of RAM (try a few sticks)

Did you check Crystaldisk to see if it could be a storage issue?

When there's slow downs, check the performance tab in the task manager and see if there's anything abnormal with memory, CPU utilization, storage access time, etc.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

• 6 months later...

I don't remember how I fixed this the first time, but it appeared a second time recently and for my future self and potentially anyone else who has this issue, the solution was disabling Intel LAN 1219-V!