How do Color Spaces work?

Tomoya Okazaki13

I have no clue about color calibration and how these stuff should be done. I found a video online that lets me color calibrate using my phone and I'm happy with it now. Colors are not close to what I see on my phone (which is color accurate according to reviews)
But my confusion starts here...
I have a Kamvas 22 Plus that has "140% sRGB coverage" and I found online that DCI-P3 has more colors.
And from the charts i see online on how much color each color space covers, does it mean that 140% sRGB SHOULD聽cover close to the same amount of color that DCI-P3 has (or at least a little bit beyond sRGB range)?
and if so, is there a way to calibrate my monitor so that it can be more like the DCI-P3 color space (or is that a hardware limitation at that point -- meaning im stuck with just sRGB)??

I have another question again. This time involving photoshop (or clip studio paint). In the software you can change your ICC right? I found someone's ICC profile for the Kamvas 22 Plus that is (from what i can tell from the comments) color accurate. Do I have to also select the same ICC profile in Clip Studio when doing work?? or is the default fine? (the default in Clip Studio is sRGB)

Sorry. I have no clue how color calibration works馃ゲ

Edited by Tomoya Okazaki13

The range or color space of your monitor is a hardware limitation, i.e. which colors it is physically capable of reproducing.

Calibration simply means the reproduction (within its capabilities) is as accurate as possible.

No amount of calibration will make your monitor show colors it can't physically reproduce.

Being "limited" to sRGB is not a bad thing, because that's what most media is expecting. You don't really need DCI-P3 unless you have material that requires it or you're a digital artist who needs to do color accurate work.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

26 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Being "limited" to sRGB is not a bad thing, because that's what most media is expecting. You don't really need DCI-P3 unless you have material that requires it or you're a digital artist who needs to do color accurate work.

oh thank god
well at least im happy with my color calibration now. I found someone who had really amazing OSD settings for my Kamvas 22 Plus. and its 100x better than the previous one i found

1 hour ago, Tomoya Okazaki13 said:

oh thank god
well at least im happy with my color calibration now. I found someone who had really amazing OSD settings for my Kamvas 22 Plus. and its 100x better than the previous one i found

That isn't true. You can calibrate your display to any colour spaces you want, and on some monitor, you can choose between different colour profile like SRGB, DCI-P3 or Adobe RGB (ARGB) which is basically a pre-calibrated colour profile from the manufacturers for that particular colour space.聽

The goal of the calibration is to adjust the display colour to the 'correct' white point (relatively colourless white that are used as a reference by other displays for a particular colour space), and gamma curve (contrast follow the pattern that other people use for content creation, thus you're seeing what they intend you to see, and other people should see)聽

Having 140 percent coverage of SRGB typically mean the monitor has a Wild Colour Gamut coverage (which is SRGB+DCIP3+Rec.2020 etc. aut also typically mean it has some at least decent coverage of ARGB) but not always the case, you will need to check its coverage for the particular colour space to see whether that's actually good enough (having 80 percent DCIP3 and 70 percent Rec.2020 would count as WCG but not really usable for either.)聽 SRGB is the colour space use for most digital content, DCIP3 and Rec.2020 are used in modern TV, and ARGB is used for print.

If you need to have a colour accurate monitor for colour critical work, you'll need a聽colorimeter, period. No amount of phone referencing or eyeball will cut it.