HELP ME CHOOSE - Intel 13700k or perhaps 7900x

OK, I am looking for a long needed update in the CPU department. I am currently running the following:

Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair Hero VI

2x8 TridentZ DDR4 @3200 CL14

Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W

Asus RTX2080 Super

NZXT Kraken X52

512GB M.2

2x1TB SSD

Benq EX3501R

I am using my PC to produce/edit/mix/master music (Cubase, StudioOne etc...) and video editing in DaVinci Resolve.

I also play several games but I am happy with 100fps at medium settings to no updates to the GPU department are required. 

In short I was looking into either going towards Intel 13700k or 7900x and so far I have found the following:

- Intel is cheaper both the CPU and the MBO

- I know the 7000X3D is being prepared, however the AM5 mbos are pretty expensive

I was thinking of keeping the Case,PSU (if 650W would be enough once I upgrade the CPU), GPU and the disk - so I would be looking at perhaps the following:

i7 13700k (currenlty around 450 euro)

MBO below 400 euro that needs to have 10 USB ports (too many external USB controllers for music etc..)

32 (2x16) DDR5 or perhaps even 64 (2x15) if under 450 euro

As you can see I am kinda on a trail to something but not 100% sure if it's the best option. What do you guys reckon? 

Your motherboard can easily support the 5900X or even 5950X with just a BIOS update, plenty of VRM headroom. Are you sure you want to do a full platform upgrade when you could just switch the CPU and add a couple of RAM sticks for much less cost and effort?

1 hour ago, HorseBattery said:

Your motherboard can easily support the 5900X or even 5950X with just a BIOS update, plenty of VRM headroom. Are you sure you want to do a full platform upgrade when you could just switch the CPU and add a couple of RAM sticks for much less cost and effort?

Yeah I'd say that since he's using it for muti-threaded workloads anyways the 5950x would make sense here. I would personally pick up some cheap 16gb ddr4 3200 for $45 and just mix it with what is already there. If that mismatched look/a bit of memory tuning is too annoying, it is only $70 to get 32gb of 2x16 3200 cl16 instead.

I'd normally say a 650w is a bad idea here. However, that is a high end 650w so I'd say it's fine. 

Hmm, fair point that a bios flash + more ram would make sense, however the 5950x is around 600 euro and new ram would be 200 euro (for the same modules that would then in total be 4x8GB of DDR4 @3200). 

If I would go that route would a 5800x3d make more sense? And if I would go to Zen4 what would the better RAM option be (let's say I sell the ones I have and get new sticks)?

b660 Msi mortar ddr4 board

reuse ur ram I’m geusing it’s b die at cl14 3200

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

4 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

b660 Msi mortar ddr4 board

reuse ur ram I’m geusing it’s b die at cl14 3200

That MBO does not have enough UBS ports. Like stated in the original post - I need at minimum 10 ports - 12 would be optimal. 

27 minutes ago, Jay Kay said:

That MBO does not have enough UBS ports. Like stated in the original post - I need at minimum 10 ports - 12 would be optimal. 

Get a usb hub 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

12 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Get a usb hub 

The gear that I use does not working properly through hubs (USB dongle, Midi Controllers and external audio controllers). 

21 minutes ago, Jay Kay said:

The gear that I use does not working properly through hubs (USB dongle, Midi Controllers and external audio controllers). 

Pcie usb hub 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

@Ebony Falconthx for the replies, not gonna go down that route. 

So, I can get the 5900x + 64 DDR4 @3200 + 2TB SSD Crucial for under 750 euros. 

The 5950x is double the price of the 5900x for some reason so it's a no go (it's more than the 13700k). 

I will sell the already owned ram for 80 euros, which makes this a much better option so far. Before I pull the trigger any other opinions or input?

2 hours ago, Jay Kay said:

@Ebony Falconthx for the replies, not gonna go down that route. 

So, I can get the 5900x + 64 DDR4 @3200 + 2TB SSD Crucial for under 750 euros. 

The 5950x is double the price of the 5900x for some reason so it's a no go (it's more than the 13700k). 

I will sell the already owned ram for 80 euros, which makes this a much better option so far. Before I pull the trigger any other opinions or input?

You did shop used for the 5950x right? I would never buy a Ryzen 5900x or 5950x new right now. 

4 hours ago, toasty99 said:

You did shop used for the 5950x right? I would never buy a Ryzen 5900x or 5950x new right now. 

There are not available locally used, the 5950 new is more than a new 13700k so I just went for 5900x at 350 euro bucks new which seems more than fine compared to anything else. Ireland does not have a cheap used market as everything in Ireland is 20% more expensive than via Amazon.de or Amazone.it.

Just as an update, I've pulled the trigger on the following:

5900x 360 euro

Corsair Vengance 2x32GB DDR 3200 CL16 235 euro

Crucial MX500 2TB 150 euro

All brand new via amazon.de

I'm cooling my ryzen 9 5900x with just a H55.  Even at 4.6ghz on all cores my temps max out at 60c and my idle is 30c.  I couldn't believe it actually worked, I'm just using the H55 while I wait for my liquid freezer ii 420mm aio to be delivered.

11 hours ago, AshleyBear said:

I'm cooling my ryzen 9 5900x with just a H55.  Even at 4.6ghz on all cores my temps max out at 60c and my idle is 30c.  I couldn't believe it actually worked, I'm just using the H55 while I wait for my liquid freezer ii 420mm aio to be delivered.

Sweet - so my Kraken x52 should be more than enough!