Frames Unreasonably Low with 3090

SaveMeSomeone

I am having an issue with running some games in particular Destiny 2, my frames are only around 70-80 in 1080p max settings and it is nowhere near the bench markings for this game.

PC Specs

-Ryzen 5 2600

-GeForce rtx3090

1000w Cooler Master PSU

-ROG motherboard

-2x Trident 8g RAM

I know my CPU will be bottlenecking me but this is severely more than that I feel and I’m unsure why. The benchmarks for the game state 1080p max settings with a 3090rtx and an intel core I9-10900K at 364 fps. Am I losing this much performance from just my CPU? Could someone help me out with some insight please?

5 minutes ago, SaveMeSomeone said:

I am having an issue with running some games in particular Destiny 2, my frames are only around 70-80 in 1080p max settings and it is nowhere near the bench markings for this game.

PC Specs

-Ryzen 5 2600

-GeForce rtx3090

1000w Cooler Master PSU

-ROG motherboard

-2x Trident 8g RAM

I know my CPU will be bottlenecking me but this is severely more than that I feel and I’m unsure why. The benchmarks for the game state 1080p max settings with a 3090rtx and an intel core I9-10900K at 364 fps. Am I losing this much performance from just my CPU? Could someone help me out with some insight please?

benchmarks are done with chips that are unlikely to reduce GPU performance, 2600 is an older chip now and not a good pairing for a 3090, its going to be holding back the card significantly at 1080p. in fact most chips hold back a 3090 at 1080p.

6 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

benchmarks are done with chips that are unlikely to reduce GPU performance, 2600 is an older chip now and not a good pairing for a 3090, its going to be holding back the card significantly at 1080p. in fact most chips hold back a 3090 at 1080p.

I was thinking that was the issue but is it that much of a performance drop from a 364fps to 70-80?

The r5 2600 is a really old and a weak cpu with single core performance comparable to overclocked i7 4770k, or stock i7 6700k, so really not surprised by the heavy bottleneck.

Update the bios and throw the r5 5600x into your rig and enjoy the masssive gains. If you have the budget, might as well go for the last AM4 chip and get the 5800X3d too.

1 minute ago, SaveMeSomeone said:

I was thinking that was the issue but is it that much of a performance drop from a 364fps to 70-80?

yeah, first gen ryzen had a really weak single core performance, and the 2600 is still on first gen Zen architecture with just some memory improvements (Zen+).

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

The r5 2600 is a really old and a weak cpu with single core performance comparable to overclocked i7 4770k, or stock i7 6700k, so really not surprised by the heavy bottleneck.

Update the bios and throw the r5 5600x into your rig and enjoy the masssive gains. If you have the budget, might as well go for the last AM4 chip and get the 5800X3d too.

yeah, first gen ryzen had a really weak single core performance, and the 2600 is still on first gen Zen architecture with just some memory improvements (Zen+).

Thank you I appreciate the assistance on confirming that.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Also do you believe a Ryzen 9 5900x would be suitable?

4 minutes ago, SaveMeSomeone said:

Also do you believe a Ryzen 9 5900x would be suitable?

It is a more workstation CPU. It has 2x6 core dies, so it brings with it some latency problems in some games. Ofcourse it is the best cpu if you want to mix gaming and productivity,but if for purely gaming, there is no other choice than the 5800x3D, it should cost the same as the 5900x, but in some games has a massive advantage. I would say for gaming get it, because then there is no further upgrade, you will get the best that AM4 motherboard can provide.

Just to add to it, you never said what your ram speed was. Whatever cpu you end up getting for your motherboard, the sweet spot would be 3200mhz CL16 ram.

So for example if your ram is currently 2133mhz or 2400mhz, then it only makes the first gen ryzen perform even worse.  Every ryzen processor loves fast ram.

You also have to make sure that your ram is actually running at XMP/DOCP/ whatever your mobo manufacturer calls it speeds.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

If you look through websites in the internet claiming to have benchmarks for the ryzen r5 2600, the Destiny 2 Numbers are all around 150 FPS

https://www.gpucheck.com/game-gpu/destiny-2/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080/amd-ryzen-5-2600/

https://www.fpsbenchmark.com/destiny2/ryzen-5-2600

https://chipguider.com/?vp=geforce-rtx-2080-ti-11gb-with-ryzen-5-2600-benchmark-1

I don't really know how trustworthy these are, but either Destiny 2 is more demanding now, than the version those websites used or something else is going on. Could also be, that their data isn't correct.

2 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

It is a more workstation CPU. It has 2x6 core dies, so it brings with it some latency problems in some games. Ofcourse it is the best cpu if you want to mix gaming and productivity,but if for purely gaming, there is no other choice than the 5800x3D, it should cost the same as the 5900x, but in some games has a massive advantage. I would say for gaming get it, because then there is no further upgrade, you will get the best that AM4 motherboard can provide.

Just to add to it, you never said what your ram speed was. Whatever cpu you end up getting for your motherboard, the sweet spot would be 3200mhz CL16 ram.

So for example if your ram is currently 2133mhz or 2400mhz, then it only makes the first gen ryzen perform even worse.  Every ryzen processor loves fast ram.

You also have to make sure that your ram is actually running at XMP/DOCP/ whatever your mobo manufacturer calls it speeds.

Thanks for the help I'll definitely look into leaning towards the 5800x3D it does sound better for this PC setup, my Ram is 3200mhz and my motherboard is Asus ROG Strix B450-F as well I forgot to mention exactly what it was. I apologize for the delayed response I was at work.

2 hours ago, adm0n said:

If you look through websites in the internet claiming to have benchmarks for the ryzen r5 2600, the Destiny 2 Numbers are all around 150 FPS

https://www.gpucheck.com/game-gpu/destiny-2/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080/amd-ryzen-5-2600/

https://www.fpsbenchmark.com/destiny2/ryzen-5-2600

https://chipguider.com/?vp=geforce-rtx-2080-ti-11gb-with-ryzen-5-2600-benchmark-1

I don't really know how trustworthy these are, but either Destiny 2 is more demanding now, than the version those websites used or something else is going on. Could also be, that their data isn't correct.

Thanks for looking, It mostlikely has gotten more demanding over time but that too was my concern is that I felt 70-80 frames even when bottlenecked seemed low for 1080p on max settings with the Ryzen 5 2600 and an rtx 3090

3 hours ago, SaveMeSomeone said:

Thanks for the help I'll definitely look into leaning towards the 5800x3D it does sound better for this PC setup, my Ram is 3200mhz and my motherboard is Asus ROG Strix B450-F as well I forgot to mention exactly what it was. I apologize for the delayed response I was at work.

you probably need a bios update while your old chip is installed,  then swap in the new cpu and you should be good to go (then also install chipset drivers just to be sure)

And yes those "benchmarking" comparison sites aren't reliable,  they get some things right, most of the time they don't though. 

also its obvious your cpu is holding the card back... a cpu bottleneck is always what you want to avoid... its the worst thing for gaming...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, SaveMeSomeone said:

Thanks for looking, It mostlikely has gotten more demanding over time but that too was my concern is that I felt 70-80 frames even when bottlenecked seemed low for 1080p on max settings with the Ryzen 5 2600 and an rtx 3090

So people are saying that the game seems to run pretty badly for some time now, and there are some fixes you could try out (check out the comments not the actual question) -> https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/ujh918/destiny_2_performance_on_pc_has_been_absolutely/

This might alleviate stuttering. But if you want to know, if something is actually wrong with your system before spending money on upgrading, you could try out some other CPU bound games, and see if your FPS are below expectation there too. One benchmark of your CPU would be here -> https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_2600_review,1.html

If you can upgrade, that is of course also an option, but I feel like for most games your CPU is still fine for now. So unless the problems in Destiny 2 are actually caused by poor CPU performance and not something else and every other game runs fine enough for you, you don't technically need to upgrade.