Making (simple) games without any programming knowledge

Mo5

I know that for most PC enthusiast people making a game is what they want most. Traditionally you'd have to learn a whole bunch of coding and well... it's complex and very time consuming.

Enter Stencyl. A simple way of making (simple) games. Granted it doesn't replace the more advanced game makers (e.g. Unity), but rather it's a platform on which beginner and less experienced people can start making their dream happen.

This link leads to one of their crash course guides - http://www.stencyl.com/help/viewArticle/143

From here you're free to experiment on your own :D

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

What about scratch?

LOL NOPE. 

I use game Maker Studio, and slowely learn a bit of unity when im having a good day. Scratch in my opinion is just a little too useless. 

Ha! just looked at it, looks like a scratch clone.. I don't like scratch, too limited. I'm not fluent in programming, but I can do things like Game Maker code. 

Why not just learn Unity? You want to make half-ass games for iPhone? Okay......

LOL NOPE. 

I use game Maker Studio, and slowely learn a bit of unity when im having a good day. Scratch in my opinion is just a little too useless. 

I just want to point out that Scratch is designed for kids. It's not supposed to be complicated or advanced. It's literally my first programming language.

Anyway.. I might try this out briefly and see how it works. Looks like it could be a nice "second step" after Scratch.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

Scratch is designed to educate children on the fundamentals of programming languages. Such as loops and variables, etc. It is very limited however in it's defence, Scratch is not designed to create amazing flash games. It's an educational tool that to young children can be quite fun.

Stencyl on the other hand, merely adapts Scratch's approach as a visual programming language. (If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure that one or two of the original team that developed Scratch, made Stencyl) It's a much more in depth program and considerably more expandable, allowing you to enter custom code and such. Sure it only develops 2D games (though you can create pseudo-3D games) but that's what it's designed to do, it's targeted at the mobile game industry. Think of mainstream casual games, they are mainly 2D. Yes, it can export to be a PC game as well, which could be useful for creating a retro style game.

Overall, while on the face of it this seems like a Scratch clone, it is in fact a game development tool that can get quite complex and if you put your mind to it can be used to develop rather fun games. It's not as easy to use as Scratch because it's not their to educate you, it's a tool not a textbook.

LOL NOPE. 

Scratch it shit...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

What do you think of Game Maker or GameSalad?

AMD FX-6350, EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost SC, Asus M5A97 LE R2.0, 8GB RAM, Sharkoon T9 Value.

What about scratch?

Yes, what about it? Great intro to programming, and you can make simple games with it as well

LOL NOPE. 

It's an educational program. You can't even process inputs outside of alphanumerics, space, and arrow keys.

Ha! just looked at it, looks like a scratch clone.. I don't like scratch, too limited. I'm not fluent in programming, but I can do things like Game Maker code. 

Again, scratch is meant for kids.

Scratch it shit...

When this is the most you can say about something, you probably shouldn't have said it in the first place. Scratch is fine, admittedly a bit worse since they switched the codebase from Smalltalk to Flash of all things, but it's still a great intro to programming.

Why would you want to make games without learning programming? If you're serious about games, you'll program eventually, so why not start now?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Sorry it was stupid I know...

Had to use it once in eighth grade and I think it is not appropriate for that any more. For kids it is fine.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Isn't it better to learn a programming language completely and then just go to a game engine that is based on that language? I heard that Unity and UDK are really, really good. Unity is based on C++/C# I think, so better to learn the basics of that (and then advance to the real thing) rather than wasting your time on "Game maker" programs. 

The End is Near

Most recent benchmark: Click

Game Maker used to be soooo good before yoyogames destroyed their community. Hell, I even made some pretty amazing games (if I do say so myself).

Check them out if you want http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/users/Toxic%20Tom

I recommend this one (it's the best one I made IMO) http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/150325-the-insane-brick-game

I used to know every command in GML (game-maker language) when I was about 10

Pilates

Why not just learn Unity? You want to make half-ass games for iPhone? Okay......

Booo!! UE4 Master Race!! :P

Booo!! UE4 Master Race!! :P

Yeah, Unreal Engine is probably the future of mobile gaming, since they teamed up with Nvidia to optimize their mobile CPUs.