"Evolve" community manager fired after controversial tweet supporting freedom of speech

KakaoDj

Kitguru article

Turtle Rock, the developer behind the upcoming game, Evolve, has fired its Community Manager over a controversial tweet backing LA Clippers owner, Donald Sterling, who was banned from the NBA for life after a recording of him being racist in his own home leaked.  Sterling had told his girlfriend not to bring black people to basketball games, which didn’t go down well with a lot of people. However, Evolve Community Manager, Josh Olin, tweeted out in defence of Sterling saying: “Here’s an unpopular opinion: Donald Sterling has the right as an American to be an old bigot in the security of his own home. He’s a victim.” 

Well... another one of those cases. When you have a community to manage, you apparently have to tread like Legolas on snow. Josh Olin stood up for freedom of speech, and did not endorse the statement made by Sterling, and that is to be respected. When you are in a position as a community manager, you can't even poke these types of cases with a 10 foot stick, just stay away. He is disappointed that Turtle Rock and 2K Games jumped right on the hysteria train and fired him, without even talking to him, as am i...  :unsure: When he tweeted this, he probably sat at home, not thinking about the responsibilities he has as a manager. I don't think we should blame him for something he said in private, which is in no way associated with his job. @LinusTech talked about a similar situation on the WAN show, regarding Mozilla CEO resigning after supporting an anti-gay marriage campaign. I would like his stand on this.

His response:

“Anyone who follows me knows my tweets were not in support of Sterling’s actions. Rather, they were promoting three core tenets I believe in: 1) The harm sensational media presents to society. 2) The importance and sanctity of your privacy within your own home. And 3) The right to be whatever you want to be as an American, as long as it isn’t hurting anyone else. That last point not to be confused with condoning Sterling’s actions, which I don’t.”

evolve-logo-e1399040001850.jpg

Here’s an unpopular opinion: Donald Sterling has the right as an American to be an old bigot in the security of his own home. He’s a victim.

You forgot the last part of the quote "Now if you excuse me we're late for a KKK lynching which will happen in MY HOME and it's MY RIGHT before you make ME a victim!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

You've got to be wise when your in any position of fame or influence. Even in your own home. Or you might just loss that fame and influence.

Its disappoint that anyone thinks they can be racist even if its in there own home.

Love for all  :wub:

I actually finding myself agreeing with his sentiment, but given his job as community manager, he was kind of stupid to do it. 

I think he's right. The NBA can not ban him for private opinions. He was going to be forced to sell it anyway because The players would not play for him. The banning is the issue. IMHO he shouldn't be banned. His girlfriend should be sued and the public should accept that we all have different opinions. I can say whatever I want (as long as it isn't a threat) inside my own home whenever I want. This is just another showing of fundamental rights in America being taken away. If a fat person can sue a company who fired them, then i think that Sterling should be able to appeal his ban. 

Take this with a grain of salt as this is a 15 year old liberal speaking. And I literally have nothing to back this up.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I think he's right. The NBA can not ban him for private opinions. He was going to be forced to sell it anyway because The players would not play for him. The banning is the issue. IMHO he shouldn't be banned. His girlfriend should be sued and the public should accept that we all have different opinions. I can say whatever I want (as long as it isn't a threat) inside my own home whenever I want. This is just another showing of fundamental rights in America being taken away. If a fat person can sue a company who fired them, then i think that Sterling should be able to appeal his ban. 

Take this with a grain of salt as this is a 15 year old liberal speaking. And I literally have nothing to back this up.

But still, no black people at basketball games... That's like saying "no weed at Woodstock"   :lol:

But still, no black people at basketball games... That's like saying "no weed at Woodstock"   :lol:

I never heard the actual quote. I'm a little confused right now... Could you explain that first part.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I never heard the actual quote. I'm a little confused right now... Could you explain that first part.

LA Clippers owner, Donald Sterling was banned from the NBA for life after a recording of him telling his girlfriend not to bring black people to basketball games

I fully support the statements from Josh Olin, the community manager. Do understand that I strongly disagree with the statements of Donald Sterling and I believe Josh Olin does as well. I admit maybe it wasn't smart of him to stick out his neck like he did, but frankly whatever man does in his own house is his own business and I respect the man for standing up for this.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Freedom of speech does not absolve one from the consequences of what they say.

Edit:

You would think being a community manager he would understand this.

Sad news, but it was dumb from his part to tweet out stuff like that using his job account...

LA Clippers owner, Donald Sterling was banned from the NBA for life after a recording of him telling his girlfriend not to bring black people to basketball games

Yea I knew about the whole Donald Sterling part. Was confused about the black people at basketball games part because i never heard the direct quote.

Last time I checked freedom of speech was a crime.

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Yea I knew about the whole Donald Sterling part. Was confused about the black people at basketball games part because i never heard the direct quote.

“It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people. Do you have to?”

“…Don’t put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me.  And don’t bring him to my games.”

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/26/donald-sterling-clippers-owner-black-people-racist-audio-magic-johnson/

Mozilla was right to can their CEO and this situation isn't any different. "Free speech" means that the government can't shut you up; it has nothing to do with forcing society at large to put up with it.

When you have a community to manage, you apparently have to tread like Legolas on snow.

This implies that it is hard to avoid saying something controversial and that if someone does so it isn't their responsibility.

Mozilla was right to can their CEO and this situation isn't any different. "Free speech" means that the government can't shut you up; it has nothing to do with forcing society at large to put up with it.

This implies that it is hard to avoid saying something controversial and that if someone does so it isn't their responsibility.

Exactly, so why don't we stop pretending that free speech is a thing?

Exactly, so why don't we stop pretending that free speech is a thing?

Because it is 'a thing'. The fact that the government cannot infringe on speech is very important. Unfortunately, the term is then misapplied by people who want to say whatever without consequences. Mozilla might be able to get rid of their CEO for what he says, but only the government can for example imprison him or bar him from serving in public office. Big difference.

What the coach said is racist, and wrong. But I have to agree. He has the freedom to say what he wants in his own home. At the same time however, when it leaves his home and becomes public, it is no longer just for him. He represented the NBA, and I support their decision to let him go. As for the community manager. I believe that if he tweeted that from the evolve Twitter account then he should have been let go. But if this was a post on his personal account, then it was wrong of turtle rock to fire him.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Being black i obviously don't agree with what this guy has said but i realize that he has a right to think whatever he wants to think so I agree with the Community Managers Statement BUTTTTTT he's the community manager soooooo he probably shouldn't have said it

Last time I checked freedom of speech was a crime.

Interesting. In what world?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Just saying.... if he said 'don't bring black people to the basketball game'.... there wouldn't be a basketball game...... :/

You guys don't seem to understand that what he did went way beyond just saying he doesn't like black guys. Anyone who intentionally tries to lower the quality or try to undermine equality for all doesn't deserve sympathy, and definitely shouldn't be called the "victim." Free speech isn't a right to oppress others, and it in no way means that you can freely say anything you want.