PSU Wattage needed for Build

Lord Gaben
Go to solution Solved by MrSuperb,

This system will use less than 400 Watt under full load, though I'd recommend you to buy a 500+ Watt rated PSU ;)

I would like to find out the a good estimate of wattage needed with a bit of head room for upgrades

MOBO: ASUS Z87-A

CPU: i7-4770k

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GeForce GTX 770 2GB

I will be overclocking the CPU and GPU a bit, not gonna go crazy with OCing it though, The CPU will be using a Noctua Air Cooler (eventually when I get the money Corsair H100i) and the GPU will use the stock cooler, no custom water cooling loops here.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

500+

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Do you plan on adding another GPU?

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

This system will use less than 400 Watt under full load, though I'd recommend you to buy a 500+ Watt rated PSU ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Do you plan on adding another GPU?

No and if I did, it would be a lot later on and I dont care about having the wattage for it

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Ok thanks

about the cooler, no need to get an h100i, especially if you're not pushing high voltages. Get an NH-D15 when they arrive shortly, it actually outperforms the H100i and is whisper quiet, something that cannot be said for the AIO.

500~600W Tops if you want it to be super sure or consider upgrading for a more demanding Graphics card or go for an other 770, just make sure the PSU you get is from a brand like Cooler master and Corsair, seasonic... you don't want to get any brand for the PSU  

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

650w

i5 3570K | Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | Noctua NH-D14 | GTX 670 | 8GB DDR1600mhz G| 2x Kingston HyperX 120B SSD | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA 650w 80+ Gold | InWin GrOne | BitFenix Recon Fan Controller |

Same lol, except ASUS GTX 770 Direct CU II OC, not Gigabyte. I got a 650W from Corsair because many people said Raidmax sucks (I was going for a Raidmax 535W).

Yeah Im going with a Corsair 550w or 650w, might go cx series

Yeah Im going with a Corsair 550w or 650w, might go cx series

A 650w would be overkill unless you plan to sli. 

An Aurum S 550 or HCG 520 would be plenty.

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=2284306

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=684670

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A 650w would be overkill unless you plan to sli. 

An Aurum S 550 or HCG 520 would be plenty.

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=2284306

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=684670

Yeah I was leaning to 550w more, I will stick with Corsair though, IMO they have the best quality part for PSU's

about the cooler, no need to get an h100i, especially if you're not pushing high voltages. Get an NH-D15 when they arrive shortly, it actually outperforms the H100i and is whisper quiet, something that cannot be said for the AIO.

Yeah I was gonna get that in the first place but now I think I might stick with the air cooler, thanks for the input :)

Yeah I was leaning to 550w more, I will stick with Corsair though, IMO they have the best quality part for PSU's

They don't--not necessarily. For one, Corsair doesn't actually manufacture psus and instead rebrands from actual manufacturers like Seasonic, CWT, etc. 

The HCG 520 for example is based off of Seasonic's S12-II.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They don't--not necessarily. For one, Corsair doesn't actually manufacture psus and instead rebrands from actual manufacturers like Seasonic, CWT, etc. 

The HCG 520 for example is based off of Seasonic's S12-II.

OK, did not know that.