Whats better: Ryzen 5 5600x or i7 10510u?

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
12 minutes ago, GAMER_DAN27 said:

Hi, I currently have a laptop with core i7 10510u, but recently I've decided to try and upgrade for a better PC, that can run games, editing softwares, and game engines smoothly. For example, every time i try running unity, my cpu is under load and can even get to 100 precent usage. So, I need a cpu that is a little better but not overkill and not so expensive. I found Ryzen 5 5600x is great, not that expensive and good preformer. So my question is: is it better than my current cpu?

What laptop?

Try unlocking power limits with throttlestop so the cpu isnt being limited by garbage power limit

Yes 5600x will crush the 10510u even if the 10510u is running at its full potential and not limited by cooling or power limit, do keep in mind that 5600 non x exist so theres abit of cost saving, not to mention decent used midranger b3/450 boards going ~60$ used (pro4, a pro, aorus elite, etc.)

Hi, I currently have a laptop with core i7 10510u, but recently I've decided to try and upgrade for a better PC, that can run games, editing softwares, and game engines smoothly. For example, every time i try running unity, my cpu is under load and can even get to 100 precent usage. So, I need a cpu that is a little better but not overkill and not so expensive. I found Ryzen 5 5600x is great, not that expensive and good performer. So my question is: is it better than my current cpu?

3 minutes ago, GAMER_DAN27 said:

Hi, I currently have a laptop with core i7 10510u, but recently I've decided to try and upgrade for a better PC, that can run games, editing softwares, and game engines smoothly. For example, every time i try running unity, my cpu is under load and can even get to 100 precent usage. So, I need a cpu that is a little better but not overkill and not so expensive. I found Ryzen 5 5600x is great, not that expensive and good preformer. So my question is: is it better than my current cpu?

To be completely honest. you`re putting a meh Laptop CPU vs a 5600x you`ll probably get about 50-80% more performance out of the 5600x even if its 2 years old. if you find it on a nice sale with 3600mhz ram preferably CL 16 you'll definitely notice the difference.

TLDR desktop CPU>>>>>>>Laptop CPU

13 minutes ago, GAMER_DAN27 said:

Yes, it's about 30% faster, with more cores. If you can find a cheap system, it's a worthy upgrade. It's a fine upgrade if you've got anything pre-tiger lake.

An Intel CPU model that ends in "U" is a low power variant. It's not going to compete with any recentish desktop CPU.

7 minutes ago, Makaroni said:

more performance out of the 5600x even if its 2 years old.

And the 10510u is actually older than the 5600x.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

15 minutes ago, Makaroni said:

To be completely honest. you`re putting a meh Laptop CPU vs a 5600x you`ll probably get about 50-80% more performance out of the 5600x even if its 2 years old. if you find it on a nice sale with 3600mhz ram preferably CL 16 you'll definitely notice the difference.

TLDR desktop CPU>>>>>>>Laptop CPU

But in comparision of putting the i7 10510 in a dektop PC and putting the Ryzen 5 5600x in a desktoo PC, will the Ryzen perform better?

1 minute ago, GAMER_DAN27 said:

But in comparision of putting the i7 10510u in a dektop PC and putting the Ryzen 5 5600x in a desktoo PC, will the Ryzen perform better?

Yes. It has more cores and the laptop CPU is optimized for low power consumption rather than performance.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

12 minutes ago, GAMER_DAN27 said:

What laptop?

Try unlocking power limits with throttlestop so the cpu isnt being limited by garbage power limit

Yes 5600x will crush the 10510u even if the 10510u is running at its full potential and not limited by cooling or power limit, do keep in mind that 5600 non x exist so theres abit of cost saving, not to mention decent used midranger b3/450 boards going ~60$ used (pro4, a pro, aorus elite, etc.)

33 minutes ago, GAMER_DAN27 said:

But in comparision of putting the i7 10510 in a dektop PC and putting the Ryzen 5 5600x in a desktoo PC, will the Ryzen perform better?

That i7 is a mobile chip even when allowed to run at 35w the ryzen is about 70% faster.