Can low room temperatures cause fan noise on cold boot?

Christrix
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,

seems like the fan is going out,  but on the other hand if its ok when "warmed up" it may still last for years... it'd be only concerning if it does it often/all the time, not only at startup,  imo.

So when I turn my pc on after it's been off for a while it makes a slight grinding for 60 ish seconds. I'm thinking it's because the room temperature is around 10c

The fans in question are Noctua Nf-P12 Redux with anti vibration pads. I've narrowed it down to 1 of the two top case fans. Case in question is a corsair 275R. 

This is more out of curiosity than concern as it costs £12 to replace a fan. Thanks!

Edit: Just to clarify they are whisper quiet on "Warm boots" and during use.

It can, but the fans are tested to operate at much lower temps and should actually work better in cooler temperatures. To me it sounds like there's dust or foreign debris in the barring. You may try poping off the fan blade and seeing if there is something lodged in inner portion of the fan. 

2 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

It can, but the fans are tested to operate at much lower temps and should actually work better in cooler temperatures. To me it sounds like there's dust or foreign debris in the barring. You may try pooping off the fan blade and seeing if there is something lodged in inner portion of the fan. 

Hi! 

What baffles me is why it's only for a minute on a cold boot? That's what bugs me. Will likely wait until I next need to open the case to clean the suspect fan.

seems like the fan is going out,  but on the other hand if its ok when "warmed up" it may still last for years... it'd be only concerning if it does it often/all the time, not only at startup,  imo.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Christrix said:

Hi! 

What baffles me is why it's only for a minute on a cold boot? That's what bugs me. Will likely wait until I next need to open the case to clean the suspect fan.

because most bearings use oil for lubrication (afaik) so yeah... this isnt normal,  but it can happen. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Could this have been caused whilst using compressed air? If the fan spun?