Have I lost all of my data?

Kingslayer Kyle

I just got done cleaning my PC and connected the drives back, I hadn't touched them besides placing them on the side and then re-mounting & connecting the sata cables

One of the drives is a 6TB seagate one, when I turned the PC back on and Windows 10 started to load, I had a message that said it was repairing my drive

After windows loaded 99% of the files on the drive are gone, does anybody know if there's any way of restoring them? I know drive recovery tools exist but I'd prefer to get the drive back to the way it was (if possible)

Than go down the route of recovering individual files.

Haven't deleted / moved anything since this happened in the case it's repairable.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance 🙂

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS

Are you sure you didn't accidentally reset Windows or something? That's wacky. Check your restore points.

Sounds like the drive just died though, sadly a common story for Seagate models. If Recuva can't find anything, the only choice may have to be sending it off for data recovery (several hundred dollars).

10 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally reset Windows or something? That's wacky. Check your restore points.

Sounds like the drive just died though, sadly a common story for Seagate models. If Recuva can't find anything, the only choice may have to be sending it off for data recovery (several hundred dollars).

No, I just turned the PC back on after reconnecting the sata/power cables to the drives and putting it all back together. First thing windows said on startup was "Repairing D:" So I just left it alone, assuming it would be fine but nah, deleted all of my stuff there's like 10% of the folders left, some are empty and some other files are 0KB but they used to contain data. It's probably dead Idk was just hoping there was something I could've done because I've lost a huge amount of personal files here. Trying my best to just not care but this is absolute pain lmao

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS

2 minutes ago, Kingslayer Kyle said:

No, I just turned the PC back on after reconnecting the sata/power cables to the drives and putting it all back together. First thing windows said on startup was "Repairing D:" So I just left it alone, assuming it would be fine but nah, deleted all of my stuff there's like 10% of the folders left, some are empty and some other files are 0KB but they used to contain data. It's probably dead Idk was just hoping there was something I could've done because I've lost a huge amount of personal files here. Trying my best to just not care but this is absolute pain lmao

Damn, I'm sorry man. That really sucks.

Unfortunately, not much I can say other than always have a backup.

If you're lucky it's just a corrupt filesystem, but I have a feeling the disk is gone. 

Anyone know if I'd be alright to continue using this if I format?

Would be a shame to throw out a 6tb drive

I'm unsure of the rules of when you should ditch a drive due to failure.. Not sure whether this was the OS at fault or the hard drive itself

1 hour ago, Kingslayer Kyle said:

Anyone know if I'd be alright to continue using this if I format?

Would be a shame to throw out a 6tb drive

I'm unsure of the rules of when you should ditch a drive due to failure.. Not sure whether this was the OS at fault or the hard drive itself

I would try Recuva as Mel0n stated - just to see if maybe they are still viable. I'd also check to see what it shows in terms of drive health, there are 5 or 6 quick ways to do that... if it's shot, it'll just be a waste of time to reformat, throw a bunch of files on it and experience the same issue. Sorry you're dealing with that and hope you can save the drive!

Intel Core i7-11700K || Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti || 1TB Corsair MP600 PRO XT & 2TB Samsung 980 Pro || Adata DDR4 3200 4x8GB || Asrock Z590-C/ac

2 minutes ago, Weezy said:

I would try Recuva as Mel0n stated - just to see if maybe they are still viable. I'd also check to see what it shows in terms of drive health, there are 5 or 6 quick ways to do that... if it's shot, it'll just be a waste of time to reformat, throw a bunch of files on it and experience the same issue. Sorry you're dealing with that and hope you can save the files and drive!

Intel Core i7-11700K || Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti || 1TB Corsair MP600 PRO XT & 2TB Samsung 980 Pro || Adata DDR4 3200 4x8GB || Asrock Z590-C/ac