QNAP TS-453D - Question about RAID

sof006
Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on what kind of raid you want to do. 2 drives will allow zero or 10. If you’re doing 10 it shouldn’t be horrid, though if it’s easy to avoid I would avoid it.

0 or 1. You need 4 drives for raid 10.

@sof006 creating the raid will almost certainly require a format of the drives. I would not dump a bunch of data on it until both drives arrive. 

Hi LTT forums.

I have a short and hopefully simple question as I am a total noob when it comes to RAID, I am getting the above NAS box tomorrow with 1x drive (now) and another drive in a few weeks (due to shortages).

What my question is, will I safely be able to store data on this drive with the intention of setting up a RAID configuration in a few weeks from now? I'd rather not spend a large amount of my time transferring a big chunk of data (2TB+) over to only have it wiped out by migrating to RAID later on.

I've googled my question but I am probably not using the correct terminology to find the right answer.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

10 hours ago, sof006 said:

Hi LTT forums.

I have a short and hopefully simple question as I am a total noob when it comes to RAID, I am getting the above NAS box tomorrow with 1x drive (now) and another drive in a few weeks (due to shortages).

What my question is, will I safely be able to store data on this drive with the intention of setting up a RAID configuration in a few weeks from now? I'd rather not spend a large amount of my time transferring a big chunk of data (2TB+) over to only have it wiped out by migrating to RAID later on.

I've googled my question but I am probably not using the correct terminology to find the right answer.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Depends on what kind of raid you want to do. 2 drives will allow zero or 1. If you’re doing 1 it shouldn’t be horrid, though if it’s easy to avoid I would avoid it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on what kind of raid you want to do. 2 drives will allow zero or 10. If you’re doing 10 it shouldn’t be horrid, though if it’s easy to avoid I would avoid it.

@sof006 creating the raid will almost certainly require a format of the drives. I would not dump a bunch of data on it until both drives arrive. 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

This is good to know, guess I'll have to hold off on setting it up then

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Did I actually write that?! It doesn’t even make sense.  It’s a minimum um of two drives for 0 and 10 and 3 for everything else.  Where the heck did that 4 come from? Pro baba lay the same place that “Dudley” did which was supposed to be “normally” Ihateautocorrect.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Did I actually write that?! It doesn’t even make sense.  It’s a minimum um of two drives for 0 and 10 and 3 for everything else.  Where the heck did that 4 come from? Pro baba lay the same place that “Dudley” did which was supposed to be “normally” Ihateautocorrect.

No, for raid 10 its a minimum of 4, not 2. Raid 1 and 0 are minimum of 2.

Raid 10 takes two drives and makes a raid 0 stripe, then takes the other 2 drives and makes a copy of the first stripe set. 4 drives.

17 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

No, for raid 10 its a minimum of 4, not 2. Raid 1 and 0 are minimum of 2.

Raid 10 takes two drives and makes a raid 0 stripe, then takes the other 2 drives and makes a copy of the first stripe set. 4 drives.

Ah raid 1 0 a 1 of zeros.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Correct 😉

So really there is no raid 10

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So really there is no raid 10

? There is raid 10. It just uses the concept of two different RAID styles. Just very simple terms, it is 0+1. Much like how ZFS is RAID 5. It's not really the same, but they have similar concepts.

But a raid1 of raid 0 drives isn’t a different thing.  It’s just a raid 1. A raid 1 of raid 5 arrays wouldn’t be raid 15, though it would require 6 drives.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

But a raid1 of raid 0 drives isn’t a different thing.  It’s just a raid 1. A raid 1 of raid 5 arrays wouldn’t be raid 15, though it would require 6 drives.

Raid 15 doesn't exist... And a raid 10 IS a different thing, when you set it up, you don't set up two raid 0's and then set up a raid 1 using those two pools. You do one "operation".

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Raid 15 doesn't exist... And a raid 10 IS a different thing, when you set it up, you don't set up two raid 0's and then set up a raid 1 using those two pools. You do one "operation".

But such an operation could be created.  There’s no reason to do it but it could be done. So it’s not a separate kind of raid except as a mode of convenience.  

RAID 0+1 and RAID 10 are different things.

Virtually all RAID 10 configs are just stacks of RAID 1. You are basically just daisey chaining RAID mirrors.

You can have 4,6, 10, 20, etc drives in RAID 10. Usually at this point you opt for RAID 6 because after 5 drives RAID 6 starts giving you a space bonus over RAID 10 while having parity redundancy over RAID 5.

RAID  0+1 is pretty rare, and most controllers won't do it, but Linux software RAID can. In that case you span a stripe over multiple physical drives and then mirror the stripe. 

Pure RAID 0+1 can give wicked fast performance with spinning hard drives because you can cover multiple physical spindles. Drawback is it can consume a lot of power and while throughput is great latency can suffer.

32 minutes ago, wseaton said:

RAID 0+1 and RAID 10 are different things.

Virtually all RAID 10 configs are just stacks of RAID 1. You are basically just daisey chaining RAID mirrors.

You can have 4,6, 10, 20, etc drives in RAID 10. Usually at this point you opt for RAID 6 because after 5 drives RAID 6 starts giving you a space bonus over RAID 10 while having parity redundancy over RAID 5.

RAID  0+1 is pretty rare, and most controllers won't do it, but Linux software RAID can. In that case you span a stripe over multiple physical drives and then mirror the stripe. 

Pure RAID 0+1 can give wicked fast performance with spinning hard drives because you can cover multiple physical spindles. Drawback is it can consume a lot of power and while throughput is great latency can suffer.

That 01 and 10 would be different is a given.  They’re basically backwards of each other. One is a mirror of striped pairs, and the other is a stripe of mirrored pairs.  My point is that neither is really a single type.  Both are a combination of raid 1 and raid 0