Help me pick a NAS pelase

Hi everyone,
My team is considering getting a NAS so we can sotre photos and videos daily.

We are a nonprofit working across the world the HQ office is in the US and we have two community centers in Istanbul and another small city in Turkey.
Three people will be uploaded on the NAS daily maybe 5 in the future, so the NAS will strongly depend on the internet speed that's why we were thinking of getting the Synology DiskStation DS1621xs+ which has a 10 GB connection, but the problem with getting the module is the internet bill, it will cost us around $1600/m to get the server a 10 GB connection + hosting fees.

Any suggestion for a solution, we want to have a seamless experience using the NAS again we are working from different locations and we want to upload footage daily.

Thank you all, 
Thanks, LTT

it will be internal use only, we collect content everyday (photos and video) and we usually upload it to Google drive, but it's getting frustrating over the time, that's why we are thinking of getting a NAS.

In what way is it frustrating to use Google drive? That info might help answer your question. In my experience Google drive is the less frustrating alternative compared to a Synology DS218Play.
Remember that if someone remote wants to download from this NAS your Upload speed is what matters. 

In my experience the Synology NAS takes quite long to wake up from stand by which can be frustrating to and running over even less distance but also a municipal internet speed (50/10) between two European neighbors it is quite slow. 

It also comes with the hassle of having to administrate it. 

In my opinion a NAS is worth it for fast local storage or for sensitive data you don't want in the cloud. To me it seems like solving the grievenaces you have with your current cloud solution would be easier and cheaper than getting a NAS. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 hour ago, Soly said:

it will cost us around $1600/m to get the server a 10 GB connection + hosting fees.

You don't need this, if the server is local, you can just make a 10gb local network, but this mean you need to add 10gbps network adapter to each of the workstation.

No need for the monthly fee, but the network will cost you so much.

Before that, do you need 10gbps network? Do you edit the files live from the server?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, Soly said:

Hi everyone,
My team is considering getting a NAS so we can sotre photos and videos daily.

We are a nonprofit working across the world the HQ office is in the US and we have two community centers in Istanbul and another small city in Turkey.
Three people will be uploaded on the NAS daily maybe 5 in the future, so the NAS will strongly depend on the internet speed that's why we were thinking of getting the Synology DiskStation DS1621xs+ which has a 10 GB connection, but the problem with getting the module is the internet bill, it will cost us around $1600/m to get the server a 10 GB connection + hosting fees.

Any suggestion for a solution, we want to have a seamless experience using the NAS again we are working from different locations and we want to upload footage daily.

Thank you all, 
Thanks, LTT

You do not need a 10GB connection unless you want to directly work off the NAS, in which case you will also need an equivalent internet connection to benefit from. Depending on your storage needs, a cloud storage solution would probably work as well. I would never bother with NAS boxes for work. Those are all meant for home and small business environments and not for 24x7 use. Either build your own, cloud storage or rent a dedicated server with mirrored drives. 

4 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

In what way is it frustrating to use Google drive?

so we have to compress all photos/videos we need to upload so we don't have to keep buying new drive accounts for more space.
compressing data daily is annoying and it's making us limited to uploading some of the footage in the end.

The thing is I'm not the only one who is going to be uploading to the NAS, one of my colleagues in Istanbul will be uploading and another one in the US will be uploading every now and then to it.
We are looking for a new better way of sharing content with each other, if you have any suggestions please let me know I would highly appreciate it.

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

You don't need this, if the server is local, you can just make a 10gb local network, but this mean you need to add 10gbps network adapter to each of the workstation.

No need for the monthly fee, but the network will cost you so much.

Before that, do you need 10gbps network? Do you edit the files live from the server?

unfortunately, it's not local, we are looking for a way to share big-size data with each other, and we thought of getting a NAS and looking through the internet I'm not sure if it's the best option for our case, I need to upload content daily to my manager in the US and my colleague in Istanbul will do the same, uploading to google drive is limiting us to share some of the footage we have and it's better to share it all!
if you have any suggestions please let me know, would really appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Applefreak said:

You do not need a 10GB connection unless you want to directly work off the NAS, in which case you will also need an equivalent internet connection to benefit from. Depending on your storage needs, a cloud storage solution would probably work as well. I would never bother with NAS boxes for work. Those are all meant for home and small business environments and not for 24x7 use. Either build your own, cloud storage or rent a dedicated server with mirrored drives. 

We will not be working directly on the NAS we just need it so we can share data with each other, we do edit videos tho, and what we want is a way to share photos and videos easily and seamlessly without having to buy more storage over and over again.
it's not local, people will be using the NAS across the world. and that's what I'm trying to figure out, what NAS to get and what internet speed should I have in order to get a good uploading and download speed for the NAS.

So you want to host the server remotely on a datacenter.

Say you set up 10gbps, does each of the devices can access your server at that speed?

It's impossible for todays tech, mobile data max out at 100-300mbps, home / office internet is 1gbps (theoretically, at best you can get 100mbps across continent). 

So getting a 10gbps server will not be usable, unless all the client have highspeed connection.

If you want high speed, consider having a cloud server from amazon AWS, MS Azure or Google Cloud.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

home / office internet is 1gbps (theoretically, at best you can get 100mbps across continent). 

? There are plenty of countries that have better than 1gbps, and most definitely faster than 100 mbps. Curious why you think these limits are in place...

This can be done using a VPN, but as you already realized, the true limitation is your upload speeds at anyone of the locations. Find out what internet speeds are available and what your willing to spend. Then decide on how to share your data.

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

? There are plenty of countries that have better than 1gbps, and most definitely faster than 100 mbps. Curious why you think these limits are in place...

Have you ever actually transfer files from us to turkey at 1gbps?

1gbps is only from you to your ISP, or any nearby server.

Across the ocean is another story.