Suitability for VR

cleric_warlock

I've been vaguely curious about trying out VR gaming just to see how it feels. One of the things other than the cost that's been dampening my curiosity is that VR looks like the kind of thing that might make me motion sick from some of the previews of it that I've seen. The extent of my motion sickness is carsickness that only shows up if I can't see the horizon or don't focus on it enough, does this mean that I'm more likely to have a problem with VR gaming?

Current PC:

• CPU
    Intel i9-12900KS
  • Motherboard
    Asus Rog Maximus Z690 Hero
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6600 MT/s, 2 x 16GB, (CL32-39-39-76, 1.40V), CMK32GX5M2X6600C32 for gaming or
    G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5-6000 MT/s, 2 x 32GB, (CL30-40-40-96, 1.40V), F5-6000J3040G32GX2-RS5K for heavy multitasking
  • GPU
    Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 3090 TI
  • Case
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • Storage
    2 x 2TB WD Black sn850 SSDs
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1600W P2, Fully Modular
  • Display(s)
    34" 1900R Alienware AW3418DW Black, 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420, Built in 360mm gpu rad, 7 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14's (4 used as full case fan set, 3 used to upgrade CPU rad fans), 4 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12's (3 used to upgrade GPU rad stock fans, 1 used to fill last remaining case fan slot)
  • Keyboard
    Fidio Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Asus Rog Spatha X
  • Sound
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC Wired Headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

Yeah, you will likely be affected by it with VR if you get motion sickness in general. If you still want to try in VR, just play in short durations. Some people have reported having motion sickness in the beginning but then later got used to VR and got motion sickness less.

7 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

Yeah, you will likely be affected by it with VR if you get motion sickness in general. If you still want to try in VR, just play in short durations. Some people have reported having motion sickness in the beginning but then later got used to VR and got motion sickness less.

That was my experience. I used to get motion sick as a passenger on car rides and when I tried Elite Dangerous on an Oculus DK2 I couldn't last more than 10 mins before I was cold sweating and nauseous. With frequent breaks until I no longer felt sick before trying again, I was able to increase how long I could play until after about a month it was up to an hour and then eventually I could dogfight in a jet or spaceship as long as I wanted. I've also noticed I don't get motion sick in cars as easily anymore so that's a bonus.

If you're very sensitive to it, then yes, it could be problematic. The worst of it is in first person view, and when you're in motion. Mainly smooth motion. Almost every game has comfort options that allow things like teleporting around (instead of smoothly walking), and turning in increments (10 degrees, 30 degrees, etc) instead of smooth turning. These settings go a LONG way to helping people who suffer generally. 

But it's still definitely possible to bother you regardless. My mom, who can't even play 1st person games on a traditional display can't handle VR at all. My wife can't handle VR first person motion of nearly any type, but can play things like beat saber, or anything else where you're not moving. And none of it seems to bother me at all, even full freedom smooth motion. So it's really hard to say without having a chance to test it.

I have terrible motion sickness. Till this day i can't ride as a passenger in a car for more than 50km w/o starting to feel nauseous. That's why i always drive everywhere and don't use public transport. But with the Quest 2 i had slight discomfort the first time i tried it, but it wasn't motion sickness, just eye strain i guess and after than nothing at all. No i cna put on a headset and drive for hours w/o any motion sickness symptoms, but try to drive me in a car for more than 50km and watch me turn green.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

3 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I have terrible motion sickness. Till this day i can't ride as a passenger in a car for more than 50km w/o starting to feel nauseous. That's why i always drive everywhere and don't use public transport. But with the Quest 2 i had slight discomfort the first time i tried it, but it wasn't motion sickness, just eye strain i guess and after than nothing at all. No i cna put on a headset and drive for hours w/o any motion sickness symptoms, but try to drive me in a car for more than 50km and watch me turn green.

eye strain might be an interpupillary distance issue. Do you know your IPD measurement and is it close to what the quest supports on it's predefined steps?

I have no idea... Never had to visit an ophthalmologist. Is there any way to measure it myself?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

14 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I have no idea... Never had to visit an ophthalmologist. Is there any way to measure it myself?

Yes.

> LINK <

On 11/22/2022 at 5:19 AM, trufret said:

That was my experience. I used to get motion sick as a passenger on car rides and when I tried Elite Dangerous on an Oculus DK2 I couldn't last more than 10 mins before I was cold sweating and nauseous. With frequent breaks until I no longer felt sick before trying again, I was able to increase how long I could play until after about a month it was up to an hour and then eventually I could dogfight in a jet or spaceship as long as I wanted. I've also noticed I don't get motion sick in cars as easily anymore so that's a bonus.

That’s interesting, i hadn’t considered overcoming motion sickness as something trainable, maybe i really should give VR a shot sometime.

Current PC:

• CPU
    Intel i9-12900KS
  • Motherboard
    Asus Rog Maximus Z690 Hero
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6600 MT/s, 2 x 16GB, (CL32-39-39-76, 1.40V), CMK32GX5M2X6600C32 for gaming or
    G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5-6000 MT/s, 2 x 32GB, (CL30-40-40-96, 1.40V), F5-6000J3040G32GX2-RS5K for heavy multitasking
  • GPU
    Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 3090 TI
  • Case
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • Storage
    2 x 2TB WD Black sn850 SSDs
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1600W P2, Fully Modular
  • Display(s)
    34" 1900R Alienware AW3418DW Black, 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420, Built in 360mm gpu rad, 7 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14's (4 used as full case fan set, 3 used to upgrade CPU rad fans), 4 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12's (3 used to upgrade GPU rad stock fans, 1 used to fill last remaining case fan slot)
  • Keyboard
    Fidio Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Asus Rog Spatha X
  • Sound
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC Wired Headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL