Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop refresh ideas, recommendations welcome

dizmo

I'm looking at upgrading/refreshing my girlfriends laptop, and I had a question about OS compatibility.

Right now it has Vista, a Core2Duo (I'll have to find out which model, but it's one of these: T5250, T5450, T5550, T5750, T7250, T8100, T8300, T9300 or T9500), DDR2 RAM,

Considering the following upgrades:

• Find and install a T9500, if it's not already present
  • Redo thermal compound
  • Replace CMOS battery
  • Replace laptop battery
  • Upgrade RAM to 6GB 800mhz
  • Install Windows 10
  • Replace HDD with a 250GB SSD
  • Replacing laptop deck and buttons
  • Install new vinyl wrap on lid

Nice to haves:

• Updated WiFi module

Considerations/Quesstion:

• Apparently Windows 10 installs fine, and everything works with a little elbow grease. I'm just concerned the Core2Duo won't be able to keep up. Any thoughts?
  • Would an updated WiFi module actually work, or would driver support be tough?
  • Would Windows 7 perhaps be a better OS choice? The Inspiron 1525 page has a nice list of the things needed for Windows 10.
  • SATA is 100% backwards compatible, yes? I imagine this uses SATA1, though it might use SATA2.

I know, I know. The value of upgrading this laptop is next to nil, but she loves it to death and only really uses it for her novel writing. It has had a dead battery for years, and I just don't think Vista is a great choice to leave on the system. If I'm doing everything else anyway, might as well try and bring it as up to date as possible.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm sure she would love a more modern laptop even more  🙂

1) The core2 is a pretty dated CPU and probably shows it's age in most things it does. Only way to know is to try

2) Find out what port the current wifi card is and if you can get Windows 10 to work properly the wifi card should have Windows 10 drivers

3) Yes, sata is backwards compatible.

Only thing I'd do is swap the drive with a sata ssd and see how Windows 10 runs.  That way if something doesn't work it's quick and easy to switch back.  Also maxing the ram will help, you mention upgrading to 6GB, what's in it now?

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

Other than replacing the batteries and a new vinyl wrap along with upping the RAM and the OS with Windows 10 there's no need to replace anything else unless either broken or just not working.

And depending on what she actually uses the computer for, there may not even be a need for a new CPU, unless she complains about the speed, where simply upping the RAM works wonders.

Here are some minimum specs on what an Intel Core2 Duo needs to run windows 10:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2 GHz) Processor HDD : 250 GB HDD

RAM: 4GB

Video Memory: 256MB Video RAM GDDR3

3 minutes ago, MonkeyBomb said:

I'm sure she would love a more modern laptop even more  🙂

1) The core2 is a pretty dated CPU and probably shows it's age in most things it does. Only way to know is to try

2) Find out what port the current wifi card is and if you can get Windows 10 to work properly the wifi card should have Windows 10 drivers

3) Yes, sata is backwards compatible.

Only thing I'd do is swap the drive with a sata ssd and see how Windows 10 runs.  That way if something doesn't work it's quick and easy to switch back.  Also maxing the ram will help, you mention upgrading to 6GB, what's in it now?

She actually does pretty much everything on her phone, and doesn't really use computers.

I'll be getting her a laptop later though, her big Christmas gift this year is a DSLR.

I believe it has 3GB right now.

1 minute ago, Thomas4 said:

Other than replacing the batteries and a new vinyl wrap along with upping the RAM and the OS with Windows 10 there's no need to replace anything else unless either broken or just not working.

And depending on what she actually uses the computer for, there may not even be a need for a new CPU, unless she complains about the speed, where simply upping the RAM works wonders.

Here are some minimum specs on what an Intel Core2 Duo needs to run windows 10:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2 GHz) Processor HDD : 250 GB HDD

RAM: 4GB

Video Memory: 256MB Video RAM GDDR3

One of the mouse buttons doesn't work as well, and the only replacement part is the whole deck lid. Since I need to remove everything to get to it anyway, I may as well replace the CPU and thermal compound while it's open. Though if it's one of the higher end ones I might just leave the CPU.

Hmm. The Wiki seems to think that the older CPUs will work. I wonder if it's just a GHZ thing. Though I also read that Win10 needs a UEFI BIOS which the laptop doesn't have.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That's the unfortunate part regarding laptops, the touchpad, where a minor thing like a malfunctioning part requires a complete replacement. And yes, it's a GHz thing, speed is not always the most important thing in a computer DEPENDING ON WHAT THE COMPUTER IS USED FOR, this statement especially for gamers.

Where speed is important is, PvP gaming, working with LARGE databases, spreadsheets, and the like (again, the more the RAM the better. Your normal user that watches videos, movies, Facebook and the like won't notice the few milliseconds difference in the greater speed.

And if she doesn't , you have something extra for either her birthday or Valentine's Day along with the usual meal, drinks, and flowers.

(JUST DON'T TELL HER EVER WHAT YOU DID!)