Floatplane Cost?

ThecknoDecker

Well I was thinking of maybe buying a youtube account to be able to see the LTT videos with less ads. But I wanted to compare it to the cost of floatplane.

But I cant find anything on the pricing of floatplane but the ONLY infor on www.floatplane.com is :"You can watch as much as you want, whenever you want, all at creator specified pricing. Get the best content first, and get bonus content like behind the scenes!"

Now, looking at their page, there is no list of content creators, nor prices. To me it only means the Beverly Hills rules: "if you need to ask the price you can't affored it."

Let's hope I'm wrong.

It appears ltt has 2 options with the basic one being 5usd per month and 10usd per month for their step up one

$5 or $10 a month, I think it's per-channel so it could add up if you wanted a bunch, for just LTT it'd be $5 for 1080p, $10 if you want 4K: 530379950_ScreenShot2022-11-16at2_16_12PM.png.a339e824bdd883984dda72efbecf5ce7.png

I'd imagine even 1080p is very good as they don't crunch their videos like Youtube does, but I haven't been subbed in a while so I forgor. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, ThecknoDecker said:

But I cant find anything on the pricing

You have to create an account and sign in.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 hour ago, Zando_ said:

I'd imagine even 1080p is very good as they don't crunch their videos like Youtube does, but I haven't been subbed in a while so I forgor. 

From what I've heard, the video quality isn't really any better than Youtube. Although I base that mostly on this thread:

It would be interesting if someone did an actual comparison between Floatplane and Youtube video quality.

3 hours ago, CBojorges said:

I guess it's the same for knowing which creators are on the platform.

DankPods is a big one

8 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

You have to create an account and sign in.

That's a nope from me.

If by buying a youtube account you mean youtube premium, then for seeing less ads it's a better deal because it affects all channels, where as in floatplane you pay per channel. But if you only watch LTT then cheapest plan on floatplane is about half of youtube premium (I believe youtube has regional prices, floatplane don't), making that the better deal if you don't care about 4k.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:02 AM, Erioch said:

That's a nope from me.

You have forum account. You can use that.

As for quality. I downloaded same video from YT and from FP. 1080p, Floatplanes bitrate is over double. Now, that can be for various reasons. But general thought is that they aren't bound by YTs limits.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/18/2022 at 7:44 PM, LogicalDrm said:

You have forum account. You can use that.

As for quality. I downloaded same video from YT and from FP. 1080p, Floatplanes bitrate is over double. Now, that can be for various reasons. But general thought is that they aren't bound by YTs limits.

Please keep in mind that bit rate does not equal quality. 

A low bit rate file can look better than a high bit rate one. 

Although I doubt their encoding settings are worse than Youtube's so it might be fairly equivalent. 

What I do know however is that I've seen some people complain about the quality and the few comparisons I've seen were quite hard to tell which was which. But that might have been a temporary issue that was fixed. 

37 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What I do know however is that I've seen some people complain about the quality and the few comparisons I've seen were quite hard to tell which was which. But that might have been a temporary issue that was fixed. 

There's also human element to think about. Since the service has been (in past) advertised as offering better quality than YouTube, people come in expecting miracles and being disappointed to get just higher than average. Which is also why there could be need for independent review.

Pretty sure at least LMG has dropped the quality point from the advertising along with early access. Which would also be indicator that difference is more in human element than actual technical aspects.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

There's also human element to think about. Since the service has been (in past) advertised as offering better quality than YouTube, people come in expecting miracles and being disappointed to get just higher than average. Which is also why there could be need for independent review.

That's true too, but in the case of the previous thread I linked the actual bit rate was about the same as Youtube as well. Again, not sure if that was a temporary issue or if they reduce the 1080 quality for non-4K subscribers as well.

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Pretty sure at least LMG has dropped the quality point from the advertising along with early access. Which would also be indicator that difference is more in human element than actual technical aspects.

Maybe.

It could also be that they used to offer higher quality videos in the past but since a while back has settled for Youtube-ish quality as indicated by the thread I linked.

Anyway, if they aren't promoting higher quality videos than Youtube then I wouldn't really count on it being higher quality.