WIFI Stuff

TheProPizza

If i can't get an ethernet cable from my router to my pc, is there a faster way to connect than wifi? I have gigabit connection and get around 300mbs on my pc over wifi.

You can try ethernet over power adapters, but they are slower than your wifi connection. Latency is usually lower though.

10 minutes ago, TheProPizza said:

I have gigabit connection and get around 300mbs on my pc over wifi.

Hello, first all, 300Mbps is not horrible, you would understandable want more on a gigabit connection. 

What router do you have? Does it have the ability to mesh with other nodes? Does the layout of your home make a mesh system possible?

I don't know if you have a budget, but if you can afford it, I recommend this nice mesh wifi 6 system: 

https://www.linksys.com/dual-band-mesh-wifi-6-system-2-pack/MX2002.html

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

41 minutes ago, TheProPizza said:

If i can't get an ethernet cable from my router to my pc, is there a faster way to connect than wifi? I have gigabit connection and get around 300mbs on my pc over wifi.

300mb sounds like a router limitation.

Check the docs on your router for it's max wireless speed.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

What router do you have? Does it have the ability to mesh with other nodes?

This isn't really a 'feature' you can accomplish this by disabling DHCP on router #2 and setting the SSID and pass the same as router #1

I literally just did this with an old tp-link cheapo wifi router along with unifi APs and there is no problems.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:22 AM, TheProPizza said:

Check your link speed in WIFI properties if you see Link speed more than 1200Mbps you will not have trouble getting Gb speeds. 

If not you can upgrade WIFI system (both Router & Client) to WIFI 6 which can transfer higher bandwidth (More than Gb speeds). 

15 hours ago, vivek.ns said:

Check your link speed in WIFI properties if you see Link speed more than 1200Mbps you will not have trouble getting Gb speeds. 

If you believe this, you're falling for advertised claims. Link speed does not always equal real world transfer speeds. You would have to be in a perfect WiFi environment to even achieve close to gigabit speeds. I'm not saying it doesn't happen; people have experienced short bursts but they are never sustained.

15 hours ago, vivek.ns said:

If not you can upgrade WIFI system (both Router & Client) to WIFI 6 which can transfer higher bandwidth (More than Gb speeds).

This is another false expectation. The "gigabit speeds" promised by WiFi 6 are not those between a single WiFi 6 client and a compatible AP; it's related to the aggregate throughput of the antennae between multiple concurrent client connections.

If you're able to get 500-700Mbps on speed tests to a single wireless client over a gigabit internet connection, that's actually quite good.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

If you believe this, you're falling for advertised claims. Link speed does not always equal real world transfer speeds. You would have to be in a perfect WiFi environment to even achieve close to gigabit speeds. I'm not saying it doesn't happen; people have experienced short bursts but they are never sustained.

This is another false expectation. The "gigabit speeds" promised by WiFi 6 are not those between a single WiFi 6 client and a compatible AP; it's related to the aggregate throughput of the antennae between multiple concurrent client connections.

If you're able to get 500-700Mbps on speed tests to a single wireless client over a gigabit internet connection, that's actually quite good.

Okay being new here I might not have used the right terminology. What I tried to explain was if the throughput of the WIFI is the bottleneck and we cant get a ethernet cable to the host device, we have to have a better wireless network which can provide the through put. 

I hope you will agree with me in receiving 650Mbps over WIFI when you have a Gb connection is better that 300Mbps with a Gb internet connection. I mention 650Mbps because thats the average I get in Iperf3 in my Laptop with AX201, using a Raspberry Pi4 as a server wired to my Router. AX201 shows the link speed around 1733/1733 from where I am seated, which is 5 meters away from router in line of sight.