Teardown revails glass BOM cost of $80

ShadowCaptain

Teardown.com did a teardown of the google glass and reveal what its parts cost, less than $80 total including cost to manufacture

Hopefully that means they will be pretty cheap when they come out

I would pay $200-$300, anything more is just WAY too much in my opinion

here is a list of a few components

Processor - $13.96

Wifi and bluetooth chip $10.79

Camera chip $5.66

If they upped the BOM cost they could still include a better camera and still make profit, its always interesting to see how much parts cost. (or how little)

EDIT : just looked at one of their articles about the iPad cost - they gave it a manufacturing AND BOM cost of $326

http://www.techinsights.com/uploadedFiles/Public_Website/Content_-_Primary/Teardowncom/Sample_Reports/Mobile_Devices_Deep_Dive_Sample_Report.pdf

Original Article:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/30/google-glass-parts-cost-under-80/

google-glass-Teardown-Image-1280x591.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

how good does this work though?

i think google glass is around 3 years away for me to be able to buy it. but this might push things a little bit faster.

Edit. imagine if they could fit a Qualcomm processor in that :D that'd be worth buying even for $500

I was literally just using my friends glass and I was like there's no way it should cost $1500 for what is basically a piece of plastic even though it's really cool.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

You also have to consider the amount of money that goes into research and development for these kinds of things.

Profit margins.... R&D... operating and mass manufacturing costs... plus legal regulations put in place for product sales. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Not very surprising.. I expected the manufacturing cost to be around $100

Another thing to remember is the economies of Scale! AS for now Google glass has a limited number. So it will become cheaper with larger amounts! Especially the costs of implementing the supply chain and developing a fabrication process and place will then have less impact.

Not to mention this isnt really a "consumer" product yet. They actually were discouraging people from even applying to the explorer beta program if they didnt feel they had the right reasons or could provide the right perspective.

This wasnt exactly google trying to sell a product, it was more a way to make a super exclusive beta program for a product they are THINKING about making. For all we know in a few years this project could get shitcanned like AndroidTV was for a long time. Google has tons of money to make moves like this, driverless cars, and drone technology, they are like a civilian version of DARPA. Throw money at 100 programs, see if any of it works, repeat until rich.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

They will come down with more revisions for sure, you're paying more now to be first in line.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Profit margins.... R&D... operating and mass manufacturing costs... plus legal regulations put in place for product sales. 

Right so being generous, that's another 200 or 300 bucks per unit? They could go to market with it already for 500 and make damn healthy profits. So what exactly is the hold up? I don't buy it that it's just revisions and  improvements, they just want to create a buzz, generate interest and speculation and anticipation by doing this exclusive preview stuff.

-------

Current Rig

-------

As long as people will pay $1500 they will sell it for that, it's not like it's an essential item.

Right so being generous, that's another 200 or 300 bucks per unit? They could go to market with it already for 500 and make damn healthy profits. So what exactly is the hold up? I don't buy it that it's just revisions and  improvements, they just want to create a buzz, generate interest and speculation and anticipation by doing this exclusive preview stuff.

I'm not trying to justify their pricing or anything, I'm just pointing out factors that have to do with product pricing. 

I don't expect it to cost a fortune upon release anyway. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

With newer products like the Google Glass and whatnot. Most of the actual cost of the product is research and development.

If you look at Google glass it's basically a prism with a mirror on one end and a angled reflector in the middle, a middle school science teacher could probably built it. So R&D very likely cost nothing for a company like Google.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If they upped the BOM cost they could still include a better camera and still make profit, its always interesting to see how much parts cost. (or how little)

The main reasons that companies don't do that in the first place though, is for future generations of the product. For example, when apple came out with an ipad that had the front facing camera, they could have done this in earlier generations of the product, but withheld so they would have a new "feature" for future products.

some times i cant understand why people even comment something they could manufacture for 300 sell for 500 and get big profit... world don't work this way since manufacture cost is 1/10 almost all of the times since there is shipment cost distribution cost 2 times has value added taxes  and so on so actually if you manufacture something lets say in china then deliver it to EU then put it in storage then in shop then sell it price grows from 5 cents too  4-5$ what is 100 times the manufacture cost + when you research something there is cost for researching then for developing equipment to do something ( in perspective of plastic melding you must make the mold of item that often cost fortune) so in that case they need at least 2 or 3 plastic mold's to make glasses frame 

people buys sports cars ships planes for billions you think bugatti veyron manufacture cost more then S class Mercedes i doubt that. And the most important thing i have to say is " MARKET DICTATES PRICE"

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2823229239

Made on !7:00 so its worst time =D ussually have 97+mbs/90+mbps -=Fact Lithuania has one of the best internet in the world and best internet infrastrukture in Europe.=-

some times i cant understand why people even comment something they could manufacture for 300 sell for 500 and get big profit... world don't work this way since manufacture cost is 1/10 almost all of the times since there is shipment cost distribution cost 2 times has value added taxes  and so on so actually if you manufacture something lets say in china then deliver it to EU then put it in storage then in shop then sell it price grows from 5 cents too  4-5$ what is 100 times the manufacture cost + when you research something there is cost for researching then for developing equipment to do something ( in perspective of plastic melding you must make the mold of item that often cost fortune) so in that case they need at least 2 or 3 plastic mold's to make glasses frame 

people buys sports cars ships planes for billions you think bugatti veyron manufacture cost more then S class Mercedes i doubt that. And the most important thing i have to say is " MARKET DICTATES PRICE"

That entire post reminds me of that saying that goes: 90% of statistics are made up on the spot: Seriously no offense but as expensive as marketing and distribution gets, once you do it en-masse those costs go down, your numbers seem way off. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

R&D costs money you know that Google wants to get back.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

R&D costs money you know that Google wants to get back.

I don't think it works that way for Google: They wouldn't be spending 5 billion on Motorola's patents, 3 billion on some heat switches company or buying fucking drone companies. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't think it works that way for Google: They wouldn't be spending 5 billion on Motorola's patents, 3 billion on some heat switches company or buying fucking drone companies. 

There's nothing wrong with recouping expenses and securing investments in the present AS WELL as the future. Google has got the cash.

In regards to Glass, I think Google just wants to create hype around the product while recouping some of the costs of R&D. I don't think it will be long before we see affordable, mass produced Google Glass. I predict a price range of $200-300 for the consumer version.

I have some links to companies associated with google glass, and a little bird told me awhile back that google glass would retail around $300. Keep in mind how much r&d work goes into this tech.

Having used google glass, it's unique and very helpful. It just needs some time to become accepted in society.

As long as people will pay $1500 they will sell it for that, it's not like it's an essential item.

They will drop price even if it was selling at $1500. Google is making up R&D Costs 

Unfortunately for you that is a terrible example as Volkswagen lose millions of dollars on each sale of the Veyron, it is, somewhat like Google Glass, a tech demonstration/example  :)

Google marketing. They know they are very well known.  The technology with the google glass has never been introduced to the public on a global scale, they are taking the advantage of this and increasing the price 
For example of popularity. Beyonce's new album "Beyoncé " was released the same day she announced it. With the popularity, she knows she will do well with sales. This is kind of the same idea with google glasses.