Network crawls to a halt

johnt

I've been having issues with my network lately. Not sure where the problem is but I have an ASUS router and a cheapo 5 port TP-link switch in my setup. I have ran Cat6 cables through conduits to each device. My ISP bandwidth is 1 Gbps, but my modem limits the speed to around 550 Mbps, which is not the problem.

So whenever I download a game or something large (Windows ISO) on my older computer, the rest of the network devices just stop functioning. I have the bandwidth limited to that computer to 100 Mbps, so the particular connection gets saturated during a large download, but I am surprised to see the rest of my computers and wifi devices just stop transmitting data so function at a very slow rate. My Apple TV downgrades YouTube to 360p, my newer PC keeps saying my connection is lost (even though it's wired), websites load very slow, and some of my wifi devices just disconnect. However, the 100 Mbps connection to the downloading computer is very strong and steady.

What gives?? Time for a new router? It's an RT-AC68R. It's been a flawless little device, but has it seen better days?

For reference. When there are no downloads in progress, the network completely lightens up and connections are very fast and consistent on all devices.

Many years ago, I noticed during extended download my speeds would drop considerably. Turned out my problem was my router and cable modem heating up. Ever since them I've been modding my stuff and adding extra heat sinks and fans. At this point I even do it to network cards for things like my NAS. Once I did this, no more slow downs on extended downloads.

Couple pictures, to give you an idea, doesn't take much, just some air flow through the devices makes a huge difference. Most of the devices are powered by 12v+ anyways, so powering the fans is easy.  

mr96003.jpg

This was an older cable modem, but gives you an idea, sometimes you can't get the fans in the most ideal locations because of internal components. However any airflow through the device makes quite a bit of difference.

cablemodem7.jpg

My current router is from Ubiquiti and it actually keeps track of the temperatures. It dropped over 20 degrees.

Not saying for sure that's what your problem is, just something I experienced.

1 hour ago, johnt said:

I've been having issues with my network lately. Not sure where the problem is but I have an ASUS router and a cheapo 5 port TP-link switch in my setup. I have ran Cat6 cables through conduits to each device. My ISP bandwidth is 1 Gbps, but my modem limits the speed to around 550 Mbps, which is not the problem.

So whenever I download a game or something large (Windows ISO) on my older computer, the rest of the network devices just stop functioning. I have the bandwidth limited to that computer to 100 Mbps, so the particular connection gets saturated during a large download, but I am surprised to see the rest of my computers and wifi devices just stop transmitting data so function at a very slow rate. My Apple TV downgrades YouTube to 360p, my newer PC keeps saying my connection is lost (even though it's wired), websites load very slow, and some of my wifi devices just disconnect. However, the 100 Mbps connection to the downloading computer is very strong and steady.

What gives?? Time for a new router? It's an RT-AC68R. It's been a flawless little device, but has it seen better days?

For reference. When there are no downloads in progress, the network completely lightens up and connections are very fast and consistent on all devices.

I'm not sure of this, but it sounds to me like the cheapo 5 port switch might only be a 10/100, and that is getting saturated during downloads, and therefore your other devices stop responding... it's just a guess though.

If it's not the switch, then it must be the router if you've already ruled out the modem being the problem.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

@OhioYJ fans are actually not a bad idea. Both the modem and router get warm under normal use. Which router are you using? The dream?

@paddy-stone that’s the funny part. The switch is 1 Gbps and I can get DL speeds up to 50 MB/s on my main gaming computer, and the internet is still responsive and the router still functions. But my older computer saturates the 100Mbps connection at around 12MB/s and the entire network is crippled. I don’t think it can be the modem bc it can handle much higher speeds. The switch? Maybe but it can handle higher speeds to other devices just fine. It’s a brain scratcher for sure. My “old” computer is a 5820k so it’s not a slouch. I was having the same problem when using my really cheap computer, which was a G4400. Not sure what it is about this particular line in my network. 

11 minutes ago, johnt said:

@OhioYJ fans are actually not a bad idea. Both the modem and router get warm under normal use. Which router are you using? The dream?

@paddy-stone that’s the funny part. The switch is 1 Gbps and I can get DL speeds up to 50 MB/s on my main gaming computer, and the internet is still responsive and the router still functions. But my older computer saturates the 100Mbps connection at around 12MB/s and the entire network is crippled. I don’t think it can be the modem bc it can handle much higher speeds. The switch? Maybe but it can handle higher speeds to other devices just fine. It’s a brain scratcher for sure. My “old” computer is a 5820k so it’s not a slouch. I was having the same problem when using my really cheap computer, which was a G4400. Not sure what it is about this particular line in my network. 

Hmm that is weird. I would suggest testing the cables that connect the errant devices... and also use a separate cable if possible to run to all the devices, for testing. so for example run the cable to your good pc that gets good speeds, then run that same cable to your older pcs etc, that way you know it can't be the network ports or the cable itself being the problem.... if that is the case and you test those devices with the same equipment exactly, then that means it's most likely your network card in those devices or settings on those devices are the culprit.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

17 minutes ago, johnt said:

You can temporarily test to see if the switches are the problem by just using a device that is plugged directly into the router. If you still have a slow down with it plugged directly into the router, that should eliminate the switches. I have 4 switches in my home network currently, they don't give me any problem (they are the nicer Netgear ones, unmanaged). 

I'm using the Amplifi Alien router at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas guys. Looks like I have some homework to do this weekend.