High Temps with 360 AIO Cooler (i7 13700k)

kevinj93

I recently finished building my next gen PC. Everything went fine except the temps are very high during stress tests and general usage.

Below some results:

Idle temps: 40c

Cinebench R23 temps: 100C (occurs within less than a minute)

Passmark tests: 97c (but very high CPU score)

CPU: Intel Core i7 13700k

Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360

Mobo: Gigabyte Z790-F gaming WiFi

RAM: 32GB G skill DDR5 CL32

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 10GB OC

Case: Fractal Design Torrent

No settings edited in the BIOS. The pump is very loud during the stress tests.

How can I lower the temps without any CPU modifications (thermal contact frame etc ...) ?

Edited by kevinj93
Typo

you can undervolt, but maybe try a repaste first?

Assuming updated bios but you never know.

Assuming radiator fans spinning but you never know.

3 minutes ago, UnusualDevices said:

also assuming they plugged in the pump correctly, I've known a few do that wrong 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 minutes ago, UnusualDevices said:

Bios not updated.

The fans are spinning. I'll give the repaste a try. I only applied a pea sized paste but I doubt it's enough considering the size of LGA 1700 CPUs (sorry if this is a dumb reply)

17 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

Bios not updated.

The fans are spinning. I'll give the repaste a try. I only applied a pea sized paste but I doubt it's enough considering the size of LGA 1700 CPUs (sorry if this is a dumb reply)

and update bios, non-negotiable

Updated BIOS, enforced thermal limit to 90c in BIOS, no performance loss during stress tests. 

it's amazing how much power Raptor lake can eat, and with more power comes more heat.

you should probably still think about repasting if you have the slightest doubt you used too little paste, remember, using a little too much is no big deal, that's what q-tips are for.

4 hours ago, kevinj93 said:

The pump is very loud during the stress tests.

Sounds like things aren't flowing very well in your AIO. Maybe something got caught inside during manufacturing. Your CPU shouldn't be hitting 100 C period, let alone within less than a minute. 

I'd try an alternate cooler to be honest. 

8 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Sounds like things aren't flowing very well in your AIO. Maybe something got caught inside during manufacturing. Your CPU shouldn't be hitting 100 C period, let alone within less than a minute. 

I'd try an alternate cooler to be honest. 

Silly me, apparently it was one of the chassis fans giving the loud noise. It's very close to the pump which made me confused.

@kevinj93How do you have the AIO and fans setup in that case (and just stock stuff ?). Is your AIO at the bottom, in the front ?, and do you use both 180x38mm stock fans, and where are they

9 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Your CPU shouldn't be hitting 100 C period, let alone within less than a minute. 

That's exactly what new AMD and new Intel processors do (in general), and doubly so on specific motherboards that "unleash them". It's just the new normal xD they require "taming" newest HardwareCanucks video covered this nicely.

32 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

Silly me, apparently it was one of the chassis fans giving the loud noise. It's very close to the pump which made me confused.

Those stock big fans perform quite well, but can be moderately-to-quite noisy doing so. If you're sensitive to/annoyed by the noise, there's different fans/fan setups that can match/slightly exceed the stock configuration in noise-normalized performance [especially the usually un-measurable noise] (with the parts you have).

11 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@kevinj93How do you have the AIO and fans setup in that case (and just stock stuff ?). Is your AIO at the bottom, in the front ?, and do you use both 180x38mm stock fans, and where are they

That's exactly what new AMD and new Intel processors do (in general), and doubly so on specific motherboards that "unleash them". It's just the new normal xD they require "taming" newest HardwareCanucks video covered this nicely.

Those stock big fans perform quite well, but can be moderately-to-quite noisy doing so. If you're sensitive to/annoyed by the noise, there's different fans/fan setups that can match/slightly exceed the stock configuration in noise-normalized performance [especially the usually un-measurable noise] (with the parts you have).

Rad is at front, fans are exhaust, bottom fans are intake.

53 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

Rad is at front, fans are exhaust, bottom fans are intake.

Oh your AIO is doing exhaust at the front ?, Did u have issues with GPU temps, or just wanted it setup like that from the start ?

Also, do u have a fan on the back of the case or just 2x180mm bot intake ? or do you have 140mm bot as intake (these are anemic as heck[from a noise-normalized perspective, from secondary noise issues, and compared to top 5 fans in the world*, not overall, not in general*)

1 hour ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Oh your AIO is doing exhaust at the front ?, Did u have issues with GPU temps, or just wanted it setup like that from the start ?

Also, do u have a fan on the back of the case or just 2x180mm bot intake ? or do you have 140mm bot as intake (these are anemic as heck[from a noise-normalized perspective, from secondary noise issues, and compared to top 5 fans in the world*, not overall, not in general*)

I set it up like that from the start. GPU Maxes out at 76c during stress test with OC. I'll be adding another fan on the back later.

31 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

I set it up like that from the start. GPU Maxes out at 76c during stress test with OC. I'll be adding another fan on the back later.

If u still have high CPU temp u can switch front to intake, and see if the GPU is fine.

31 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

I'll be adding another fan on the back later.

If u've got stock 140mm on the bottom, getting higher performing fans would be a bigger benefit than an additional exhaust

Undervolt it bro I dropped my 13600k from 1.38v stock voltage to 1.15v and dropped 30c 

still stable in everything boards just cater for the worst cpus  

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

16 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Undervolt it bro I dropped my 13600k from 1.38v stock voltage to 1.15v and dropped 30c 

still stable in everything boards just cater for the worst cpus  

Do you have it as offset voltage or static?

6 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

Do you have it as offset voltage or static?

Offset, run r23 and see what ur voltage is at load then work out how much to take off to get it to 1.2v the. Test for stability and continue to reduce till u fail then put it back up a little 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper